www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 8th, 2016, 19:18   #31
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Unless I'm mistaken (which I am often) 2620 bar less one atmosphere is 23.7 PSI, give or take. I've always understood that the safe boost limit for a VNT-17 is 22-24 PSI. Both turbos mentioned here were running more than that.

26psi was recommended for what my mods were at that time. I have egt/boost gauges and certainly didn't exceed or reach what the car was tune for. The turbo blew out the exhaust along with 80% or so of the oil, luckily for me zero engine damage. I cut my losses and dug deep into the piggy bank for a 17/56

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 19:58   #32
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Default Catastrophic VNT 17 failure

Pics of the grenade vnt 17
The turbine went out the 3" exhaust .

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
Old September 8th, 2016, 21:04   #33
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

First turbo plate looks legit. To me anyhow.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:46   #34
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
First turbo plate looks legit. To me anyhow.

Yes it does

Bajan
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:22   #35
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaTDI View Post

This is what is left of my compressor. I flushed out my IC with a gallon of acetone today. Cleaned all the intake piping as well. Air cleaner looked fine.
Do I trust using the IC or get a new one? I used compressed air to blow anything out afterwards.
Had a cup or so of oil pour out the IC. Where did the other 1qt or so of oil go? Tried running a magnet down my down pipe as far as I could go. Couldn't retrieve the exhaust turbine and shaft. Not sure if it blew out the tail pipe. I shouldn't have any interferences so maybe it's out.
Compressor stall at the Exducer, tips are all missing....
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:26   #36
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
26psi was recommended for what my mods were at that time. I have egt/boost gauges and certainly didn't exceed or reach what the car was tune for. The turbo blew out the exhaust along with 80% or so of the oil, luckily for me zero engine damage. I cut my losses and dug deep into the piggy bank for a 17/56

Bajan
Stop focusing on the 26psi, were you flowing enough volume at 26psi to prevent surge/stall of the compressor?

a bigger turbos isn't going to necessarily solve it if you haven't improved the volumetric ability of the engine to allow the increased capability to pass thru it.
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:40   #37
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Centrifugal compressor stall patterns..

Last edited by Drivbiwire; September 9th, 2016 at 06:43.
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:10   #38
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
Stop focusing on the 26psi
It should be noted that 26psi is a ~2.8 pressure ratio. Off the top of the map (compressor rpm) for the VNT17 at just about any mass flow.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:21   #39
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Here's the map, 1749.

Its that dashed line on the front end of the map that blew that turbo...

Old September 9th, 2016, 09:10   #40
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
Stop focusing on the 26psi, were you flowing enough volume at 26psi to prevent surge/stall of the compressor?

a bigger turbos isn't going to necessarily solve it if you haven't improved the volumetric ability of the engine to allow the increased capability to pass thru it.

I'm not quite sure how to answer that , but will say the only changes made was different turbo and retuned.

Bajan
Old September 9th, 2016, 23:08   #41
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Honestly, I am confused myself; how could a turbo be making that much boost and have an issue with stall? I could maybe understand a gasser with a bad b.o.v., but our diesels don't have throttle bodies.
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:30   #42
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Tips are missing because they were machined off by the compressor housing.

Can't see how it would stall as well.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:27   #43
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Kinda related here. I have a vnt17 stock tune. I won't have any stall issues will I? I don't do hard launches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 17:42   #44
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Not likely with a stock tune .
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 18:07   #45
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Thx. Just making sure since it may be after new years for the tune now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote