www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:40   #46
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Yes. But it didn't help in my case either.

Dave's problem was not the studs not holding. He had a timing belt failure.

The studs did there job and still would be, if the tb failure didn't ruin his cylinder head.

I'd much rather try the stud than do the head gasket. If the studs don't work, then you have a major problem. Meaning the head would have to be shaved and trued, and the difference made up with the proper thicker gasket.

df
Old July 25th, 2012, 15:45   #47
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I don't think you understand, I was also trying the head studs to alleviate a head gasket leak. For some people it worked, but it did not for me and I had to change the head gasket.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 16:02   #48
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

^^^ Fair enough.

To me, your post read like Dave's studs failed, that's all.

I believe your case is the only one I've heard of that didn't fix the coolant seeping issue. At least someone who doesn't "track" their TDI.

I do remember ToTheMax tried the studs and it worked. He runs his on Track Days. I don't remember if he had an issue with the studs after he installed them.

df
Old July 25th, 2012, 16:07   #49
Yblocker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

Well I've pretty much decided to try it. I should have the parts by mid next week. Abacus- When you subsequently pulled yours apart, was there a breech in the gasket or was the head just not flat anymore?
Old July 25th, 2012, 17:35   #50
Yblocker
Veteran Member

And another thing.....
After reaching operating temp,the cooling system will stay pressured up for hours- even overnight like 15 hours or so. Seems like a leak like that would have to be pretty small for it not to leak down overnight. The pressure depresses the coolant level so that when the cap is cracked open allowing the pressure to release, the level rises to the line again. Sound familiar?
Old July 25th, 2012, 17:36   #51
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Neither. I couldn't find the leak and the head was fine. It wasn't losing a ton of coolant but it would dump some when I pushed it hard.
Old July 25th, 2012, 17:54   #52
Yblocker
Veteran Member

Head lifting? But your new gasket solved it...
Old July 25th, 2012, 17:57   #53
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Possibly, I honestly don't know. But if the ARP studs didn't cure it, I doubt the head was lifting. I think the leak was just small enough to be a nuisance.
Old January 30th, 2014, 23:47   #54
Diesel-Dan1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Digging up bones here.....

I had a lifter let go in my 2002 ALH Jetta in Aug 13. I had to have the head sent off to Frank Irving for service. I replaced the HG, Upgraded the cam, got new head bolts and went ahead and put a new timing belt on. Everything worked great until this month. I notice my coolant light comes on now and then. I got to refill it to max and all is good. Now lately the car has a hard crank sometimes. Just got a new Batt (Last week) so i know its not that. Today the car would crank to a point and just stop. Im guess its got coolant on the piston and its hydrolocking. Its sat for a few days.

Im going to pull the injectors tomorrow and clear the cyls and see if it cranks and discharges any water/coolant. If it does im going to order a set of ARP's and see if that helps my issue. I know my head was level when i got it back. I know Frank does good work. Might as well try before i pull the head again. It wasnt that bad of a job but i dont want to do it if i dont have to. Ill post up results when i get em.

Thanks all for all the feed back on this thread.

2002.5 Jetta TDi, 5 speed swap, unlocked ECM with small tune, Studs, Stage 2 cam. Slowing working stuff over from wrecked car.
Diesel-Dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 18:52   #55
Diesel-Dan1
Veteran Member

Well my studs didnt stop the leak and now (After sitting for a few days) tried to crank only to bust 2 to 3 teeth off my flywheel after the pistons locked up:

It was only under starter power but now the tranny has to come out to replace the starter ring gear.....and prob go ahead and do a compression test. I tired to roll the engine by hand and its locked....don't know why....maybe a tooth got pinned. Either way i need more time and access to the crank/balancer.

SO now i get to pull the head an now the trans....and maybe looking at an engine rebuild. Getting my money's worth on this project......

2002.5 Jetta TDi, 5 speed swap, unlocked ECM with small tune, Studs, Stage 2 cam. Slowing working stuff over from wrecked car.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:29   #56
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

pull the glow plugs and see if you can turn it.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:00   #57
Diesel-Dan1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJetta99 View Post
pull the glow plugs and see if you can turn it.

Already out. Can't get it to move. Going to spend some more time on monday looking at it. I was too frustrated to think last night.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 20:17   #58
m_mcgranahan

I just started the APR stud install on my 1999 Beetle. Had a very faint smell of coolant on my first big road trip in the car. Hoping this will solve my little leak. Makes me laugh that I have to do this to a tiny 1.9L diesel and many guys with Cummins 5.9 can handle huge programmer power, water meth injecton and big exhaust no leaks no issues...

Thanks for this thread.

God bless...
Mark
m_mcgranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 20:28   #59
andy2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_mcgranahan View Post
Makes me laugh that I have to do this to a tiny 1.9L diesel and many guys with Cummins 5.9 can handle huge programmer power, water meth injecton and big exhaust no leaks no issues...

Thanks for this thread.

God bless...
Mark
Two major differences being that not only does the cummins use and iron cyl head but it also has 6 head bolts per cyl.
andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:24   #60
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_mcgranahan View Post
I just started the APR stud install on my 1999 Beetle. Had a very faint smell of coolant on my first big road trip in the car. Hoping this will solve my little leak. Makes me laugh that I have to do this to a tiny 1.9L diesel and many guys with Cummins 5.9 can handle huge programmer power, water meth injecton and big exhaust no leaks no issues...

Thanks for this thread.

God bless...
Mark
Smell of coolant in the car? That could be the heater core going. When my HG went it was pressurizing all the coolant system and blew my heater core too. Thats a fun job.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote