www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 25th, 2011, 21:29   #31
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

This didn't do anything on my 02...

mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 14:05   #32
ajshoe

best fix - least time, works perfect is on this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=77648&page=35

Magnetic reed switch - normally open contact. WORKS PERFECT. install in 20 minutes. fixed forever (microswitch #4 problem).
ajshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 16:01   #33
kevininhalifax2

TDI(s): 2001 Stock

Just came across this one - and can't figure out from all the responses if this "bypass" just turns on the puddle light, or does it turn on the full interior lights + door open icon on the cluster?
kevininhalifax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 17:44   #34
jjcsnlynn
Veteran Member

Subscribed
04 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4
jjcsnlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 17:55   #35
TB
Veteran Member

Great fix, cheap and everything works as normal..puddle light, door chime, interior lights and I don't get locked out of the car any more.
Went to Future shop, the auto dept, they gave me two door pins. They come extra with alarm systems..

Last edited by TB; January 27th, 2014 at 17:58.
TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:39   #36
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

So if my dome light doesnt work when I open either the drivers or passengers front doors ( but does when I pull out the key, so I know the bulb is good), do I need to install a switch on both front doors?

(also have the no chime when the lights are left on problem)
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:24   #37
ahhhhwhoa

TDI(s): 03 TDI Wagon
Fuel Economy: 48.6
Thumbs up

Has anyone figured a good walk around for those of us who's car thinks their door is always OPEN?

The $3 magnet switch fix only works if your car always thinks the doors are closed, however my car always thinks my passenger door is OPEN therefor leaving me with no interior lights (as I have had to turn them off so they aren't on all the time).

Is there a wire or something I can snip to undo the ground my car is constantly making just so that it never thinks the door is open? I would love to have interior lights on my driver door and do not care so much about them on my passenger side. HELP!
ahhhhwhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 14:25   #38
jjcsnlynn
Veteran Member

Did this on my 2002 Jetta and it worked brilliantly. Thanks

Last edited by jjcsnlynn; February 2nd, 2014 at 13:54.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 13:48   #39
KiDGiB

I finally got down to fixing my door with this switch and it worked. Thank you so much for this write up. I felt that it was time to finally fix my driver door, since all someone had to do was bust my window and get in on the drivers side without making the alarm go off.

Feels weird having the chime when i leave my lights on or even have my key still in the ignition.
KiDGiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 18:22   #40
gcodori
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhhwhoa View Post
Has anyone figured a good walk around for those of us who's car thinks their door is always OPEN?

The $3 magnet switch fix only works if your car always thinks the doors are closed, however my car always thinks my passenger door is OPEN therefor leaving me with no interior lights (as I have had to turn them off so they aren't on all the time).

Is there a wire or something I can snip to undo the ground my car is constantly making just so that it never thinks the door is open? I would love to have interior lights on my driver door and do not care so much about them on my passenger side. HELP!
Bump for this answer too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:45   #41
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDGiB View Post
... since all someone had to do was bust my window and get in on the drivers side without making the alarm go off...
Guess what: they still can. Break out the window and get anything, as long as they don't open the door, the alarm never goes off.

The best and cheapest fix for 99% of these problems is to resolder the broken solder joints on the door latch circuit board.

Cheers!

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 17:39   #42
WardB
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 NB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_7248 View Post
I tried that and nothing changed. I ended up having the dealer swap it out due to future mother-in-law visit (I had no time). I asked the tech about the original lock/actuator and he said that the switch was broken and that the circuit board was shorted out. They already threw the old part in the dump before I got there to see for myself
How much was the bill for switch and labor? My local dealer quoted me $380USD. There is no way that is going to happen.
Old June 30th, 2014, 18:29   #43
jjcsnlynn
Veteran Member

I did this fix in January and it's worked great until this week. I was sitting with the door open for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden the interior lights went out. Since then the front door puddle light and light on the dash doesn't work. I guess something got hot and stopped working. The interior lights work fine on the other doors.

I checked all the fuses and they are good. I'm wondering if the diode went bad or the light blew.
Old June 30th, 2014, 18:36   #44
jayb79
Veteran Member

doesn't the timer kick in after a period of time and shut everything down? I can remember my beetle shutting down after a while with the door open.
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:10   #45
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Maybe the timer is longer than 20 minutes. But if it were the timer, the lights would work again the next time the door is opened. Very possibly the new little teeny switch melted after that long.

My wife's NB gave her grief a couple of weeks ago, so I took apart the door to fix the latch mechanism. The switches all appeared OK as did the solder joints. In this case, the joints were coated with something - lacquer or thin epoxy or something like that. I could see no solder breaks, so I did the only reasonable thing - I resoldered them anyway.

On reassembly, the random alarm has quit. Cost me time, but that's about all.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote