The dreaded heater core replacement

red loctite

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
I am preparing for the daunting task of replacing my heater core this weekend. I have 1 day to do it. I have read and viewed many posts. The only thing i am concerned about is the heater core itself. I want to buy an OEM, but the finances just won't allow ot. I am going to do a thermostat at the same time in Hopes it won't be as bad for heat as a lot of people say it is. I am going to get a Spectra brand from Autovalue here in Alberta. I am also going to grab a roll of foam just in case. What size foam will I need and how thick? I am definitely not looking forward to it, but it is too far from warm weather to put it off. It is so bad, I can't even drive it because it is so cold. The mist freezes on the windows pretty fast......
Wish me good luck Saturday. I am making sure I have lots of ziploc bags and egg cartons for bolts....

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
No dude go to concept1 in Calgary/Westside in Edmonton and get a replacement heater core from them. Whatever they suggest. Not some sh itty random parts bin store. Not a job you wanna do twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
And get a high-temp thermostat (195F/90C) - not an OEM that will open to the radiator (and begin cooling off) well before full operating temp.

red loctite

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
No dude go to concept1 in Calgary/Westside in Edmonton and get a replacement heater core from them. Whatever they suggest. Not some sh itty random parts bin store. Not a job you wanna do twice
I will call them tomorrow and see. I didn't think to call them. I got an oil pan for my old 2.slow and it was pretty cheap, I hope a HC will be a decent price. Thanks for the info

Turbo_B5

TDI
02 ALH Golf.
My co worker was complaining his wife’s Tdi wouldn’t heat up like his did. Told him to change the thermostat and that was the issue. Get one from concept1 aswell. Not sure if it will be true 90c as mentioned above. I run genuine thermostat with borh grills blocked off. The heat was great this evening in Edmonton at like -5c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I did mine recently. I'd suggest covering the blend doors with aluminium duct tape. I've used it on several occasions and have had great resutls. I also replaced the foam seals between the vents and the dash with heavy duty rubber seals made by 3M that I found at yhe local hardware store. All I can say is take your time doing it, and good luck.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Is your heater core leaking? If not it's probably just the blend door foam that's missing. I had the same problem and was about to do the same when I decided to try the metal tape...I have heat, now if your engine isn't coming up to temp, then you have a thermostat issue

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

red loctite

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
Is your heater core leaking? If not it's probably just the blend door foam that's missing. I had the same problem and was about to do the same when I decided to try the metal tape...I have heat, now if your engine isn't coming up to temp, then you have a thermostat issue
No doubt its leaking.
The "smoking gun" is the "smoking" vent :p

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you are limited to 1 day I would suggest just the the heater core. You'll do good to get that done in 1 day, unless of course you've done it before.

red loctite

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
Nope. Never done it before. Read lots about it and watched videos. I'm as ready as possible. I got a nissen heater core from concept 1 in calgary

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
I was about to tackle mine and decided to check with the local shop first on a quote to have it replaced. Luckily they went by book time which is 3.15 hours according to him, they stuck to there quote and got me out the door for a total price of 570$! he said they had over 10 into it though. Might be worth your time to check around just in case. :)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, every book I've ever seen (and every quote, too) has been in the 6-8 hour range.

And they generally need all of it. :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Don't forget the bolt in the cowl hiding behind the wiper transmission, it's always a head scratcher for me :p

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yes. They all fit and are proper for diesel motors. The catch is they sometimes don't come with the o-ring so check that. Another 'gotcha' is my Stant was "car quest"-branded (the box). Go by the part number.

It should look like this:

Note the two separate springs.
EDIT: normally I'm a big believer in OEM. But this is a thermostat not a CV axle:)

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
on an ALH you can run just about any tstat, the bottom blockoff plate doesn't actually do anything in that application

they are the generic size that used to be the de-facto standard, so you should be able to find a 195 degree one in stock anywhere. Dig through the pile to try and find one that the valve is rubber sealed, with no jiggle pin or air vent, as the amount of coolant they pass through the air vent does affect your warmup noticeably if you don't block your grille off in -20 degree temps. The air venting is handled by the "steam line" from the upper rad hose and cylinder head.