www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 20th, 2019, 16:16   #31
bizzle
Veteran Member

What did he say about servicing a 2016 manual transmission from VW?

What do you even mean by "servicing" anyway? You don't seem to be aware of what can or can't go wrong with a DSG's internals (or a current year manual transmission, frankly) and so the questions you ask someone about repairing either aren't likely to be accurate.

Here's what happened: you got a flat tire. I came over and said, oh that's no big deal, just call any ole tire place and get a new one put on. You then called the most expensive tire shop in town because you think their opinion would surely be expert level but you told them, "I've got a busted wheel, do you service wheels?" and they predictably told you, no, we don't work on wheels and in fact you probably are going to just have to replace it. Then you came back to me and said, whoa man this seems like a really complicated repair after all, the best shop in town doesn't even work on wheels!"
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 17:14   #32
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If you want an automatic that performs like a manual(better in some ways), the dsg is about as good as it gets. In stock configuration they can hold more torque than the OE mt clutch. They are more versatile in a day and age when most Americans don't even know how to drive a stick. But they are more complex than the purely mechanical manual trans. Bottom line is the dsg should be pretty reliable with a stage 2 tune, but you'll probably be spending an extra ~$400 for a dsg tune.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/class...710-story.html

Last edited by turbobrick240; February 20th, 2019 at 17:25.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 19:17   #33
mercdude

About $1500-2000 for the 02q. Expensive but mostly for the labor to remove trans.

Service as in repair synchro etc, not maintenance items like clutch/flywheel. But in this case I asked simply about replacing a clutch. Sorry you donít like facts but they are what they are.

If you can work on them yourself Iím sure theyíre fine but for the rest of us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:55   #34
Kevinski4

Mods, please lock and trash this thread, it's been a long time since I've seen this level of derp and misinformation in a thread. We don't need more people with no mechanical knowledge getting even more confused and spreading more fake news.

Bizzle, I like your analogy.
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 15:57   #35
Owain@malonetuning

Here's a stock clutch dq250 running 8s

https://youtu.be/FCzv4x13B34?t=100
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 16:02   #36
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-35mpg

W t f is going on here?!? If you don’t have mechanical knowledge or ability please tell me how you can weigh in on this. Kevinski4 is right. Dump this thread. It’s getting really annoying seeing what mind numbing opinions are being wrote here. Maybe I’m just insane.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 16:28   #37
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That's insane. I wonder how much the wheelie bars really help in a fwd drag car. I've noticed that most of the sub 10s fwd diesel drag cars don't run them. Maybe it's more about stability in a short wheelbase car.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 23:36   #38
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Here's a stock clutch dq250 running 8s

https://youtu.be/FCzv4x13B34?t=100
owain u owe me a new chair, this one is permanently stained white
Old February 23rd, 2019, 00:47   #39
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Here's the AWD DSG record:

https://youtu.be/0q4eugSbWiE
Old February 23rd, 2019, 07:35   #40
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Welp that’s enough for me...DSG that runs an 8.4 must be junk and unserviceable.
Old March 6th, 2019, 21:57   #41
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
Just talked to a shop in my area this morning - they won’t touch a dsg and only refer out to the dealership. Along with that, he doesn’t know a shop that will work on a dsg either. And then he expressed sincere sorrow for anyone with a dsg (vag or other).

Well if I were you I would find another shop that has knowledgeable competent mechanics. If you use them for your general work I would also seek another shop as they don't know very much or have any great mechanical skills.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 19:30   #42
mercdude

Cool. Then why doesnít everyone here with extensive knowledge throw some real world numbers from transmission shops that will do basic work on dsg trans. Give data not opinions... this is supposed to be a helpful/informative thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 19:58   #43
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
Cool. Then why doesnít everyone here with extensive knowledge throw some real world numbers from transmission shops that will do basic work on dsg trans. Give data not opinions... this is supposed to be a helpful/informative thread. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you consider basic work? Change the fluid? What kind of data do you want?
Old March 7th, 2019, 21:14   #44
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

DSG service will need the use of vcds or something comparable to read the trans temp when changing the fluid to make sure the correct amount is added. As for changing a whole unit they are 90% the same as a standard shift so labor rates will differ from shop to shop ontop of what a used unit cost if going that route. As for tearing into one and fixing it is going to be a pretty penny be it the mechtrinic unit on the side of the trans. Or go even deeper inside to shafts gears synchros bearings shift forks and so on. Does that shed any light?
Old March 7th, 2019, 21:37   #45
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
DSG service will need the use of vcds or something comparable to read the trans temp when changing the fluid to make sure the correct amount is added. As for changing a whole unit they are 90% the same as a standard shift so labor rates will differ from shop to shop ontop of what a used unit cost if going that route. As for tearing into one and fixing it is going to be a pretty penny be it the mechatronic unit on the side of the trans. Or go even deeper inside to shafts gears synchros bearings shift forks and so on. Does that shed any light?

1. Drain fluid
2. Replace drain plugs
3. Remove Battery
4. Remove filter housing
5. Remove Filter
6. Add 4.5 liters of DSG fluid through filter hole(a funnel helps a lot)
7. Replace filter
8. Replace filter housing
9. Replace battery
10. Drive on
Forget about the VCDS BS
If your mechanic/technician can change your oil they can change the DSG fluid if not well as I eluded to before......find a different shop!

How many DSG Transmissions with catastrophic repairs have been reported on this forum?

Does that shed any light?

Move on

Last edited by MichaelB; March 7th, 2019 at 21:48.