www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 18th, 2019, 10:05   #46
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

I agree that no two cars are the same . I had two mk6 both with same tune and one would shudder and the other nothing, both within 5K miles of each other and the one that shuddered I drove new off the lot. The one that doesn't I picked up in a private sale and do not know the history. Everything seems tight on them and they roll the same.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:09   #47
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
FWIW, look for an alternative to the fluidampr to appear, very soon.

Ahhh, please let us know. Enquiring minds would like to see an alternative.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr Brks:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:39   #48
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

When I did a Malone stage III tune on my 2010 TDI Sedan 6 spd, I immediately changed to a stage 2 endurance smf clutch from southbend, and within 10K miles, I lost the 2nd gear synchro and could only get into 1st when stopped. After rebuilding the gear box, it took about 20K miles before similar problems occurred. The 3rd time I rebuilt the gearbox, I upgraded to a better throw out bearing, and installed a fluid dampener. So now it has been about 65K miles and it all still works. Well if you consider it difficult to downshift into 1st gear as not a problem, which I don't. I have notice that in the 1 out of a 1000 shifts when I actually want to downshift into 1st, that this has been getting more and more difficult over time, but all other gears are fine. Realistically I rarely downshift into 1st because it is quite easy to almost be stopped and use 2nd gear with out any problems, but sometimes in heavy traffic, I will need to downshift into 1st. It still does it, but not as smoothly as I would like.

Fluid dampener has made all the difference I think, There used to be some nasty vibrations at around the 2100 RPM level in all gears, and now you can still feel the vibrations, but the severity is much less than before.

As far as being in 5th or 6th gear with vibrations at around 2000 rpms under heavy acceleration, I just avoid it. Usually, I would downshift into 4th to get the revs up to 2500 or so and hammer it from there until you hit 3000 to 4000 rpms before shifting back into 5th or 6th. I think that there is something to matching the power band with the acceleration desires.

Actually avoiding the 1900 to 2100 rpm level under acceleration is my goal for all gears if at all possible.

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 14:35   #49
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
When I did a Malone stage III tune on my 2010 TDI Sedan 6 spd, I immediately changed to a stage 2 endurance smf clutch from southbend, and within 10K miles, I lost the 2nd gear synchro and could only get into 1st when stopped. After rebuilding the gear box, it took about 20K miles before similar problems occurred. The 3rd time I rebuilt the gearbox, I upgraded to a better throw out bearing, and installed a fluid dampener. So now it has been about 65K miles and it all still works. Well if you consider it difficult to downshift into 1st gear as not a problem, which I don't. I have notice that in the 1 out of a 1000 shifts when I actually want to downshift into 1st, that this has been getting more and more difficult over time, but all other gears are fine. Realistically I rarely downshift into 1st because it is quite easy to almost be stopped and use 2nd gear with out any problems, but sometimes in heavy traffic, I will need to downshift into 1st. It still does it, but not as smoothly as I would like.

Fluid dampener has made all the difference I think, There used to be some nasty vibrations at around the 2100 RPM level in all gears, and now you can still feel the vibrations, but the severity is much less than before.

As far as being in 5th or 6th gear with vibrations at around 2000 rpms under heavy acceleration, I just avoid it. Usually, I would downshift into 4th to get the revs up to 2500 or so and hammer it from there until you hit 3000 to 4000 rpms before shifting back into 5th or 6th. I think that there is something to matching the power band with the acceleration desires.

Actually avoiding the 1900 to 2100 rpm level under acceleration is my goal for all gears if at all possible.
That sounds horrible to drive. Can't downshift, avoid rpm ranges but you like the tune lol .
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 17:03   #50
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

@ SlurryPumper,

Thanks for the confirmation. I bought a Fluidampr fairly quickly after my SBC2End installation in my Mk6.
Double clutched 1st, which I do now on my Mk4. Same same approach to gearshifting in higher gears.
Drop it down a gear or 2 and start the "hammer" from the low/mid 2k rpms if you're seriously getting on it.

It's still a little 4 cylinder diesel, no matter what you think "it OUGHT to be able to do". Put it in the rev range
that it's comfortable, and they go great and rev quickly, this is where the 4 cyl really shines.

Sadly I got rear ended stopped in a construction zone after about 40k, but I had no gearbox problems in that period.

IMO, most people don't drive these engines very well. Power and
grunt they got , but they're NOT V8s. Get a 383 Chrysler hemi, and then pay for the gas.

My $.02
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr Brks:
Old February 20th, 2019, 04:48   #51
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
Get a 383 Chrysler hemi
Huh?
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:04   #52
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambld View Post
Huh?

The legendary V8 that was in the Dodge & Plymouth muscle cars in
the late 60s early 70s. Also standard issue for police and state troopers.
Great motor, it had a serious drinking problem but.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:21   #53
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

yeah you're right Rrusse11.

These are 4 cylinder cars after all, and the displacement just isn't there unlike a few other 4 cylinder vehicles. I got a stage III tune with the euro turbo; a few things deleted off the back end of the turbo; with no recirculation of exhaust gases going on here, and the car is just now up to standards as far as peppiness goes, but if you're trying to accelerate pass the bus in the left lane before the semi-trailer that is traveling at highway speeds gets there, I suggest you downshift and hammer the pedal if you want to pull off that move without a hospital stay.

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 14:40   #54
mercdude

Sounds like a good solution would be a better flywheel and harmonic balancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 19:00   #55
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
Sounds like a good solution would be a better flywheel and harmonic balancer.

Worked for me, but I took the payout money and bought a Mk4 ALH.
Better car. Not as fancy or refined, but IMO more durable and a LOT
cheaper to fix, and hell, so simple even I can work on it.

Lol, vintage, like me. {:o)
Old February 22nd, 2019, 18:36   #56
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
That sounds horrible to drive. Can't downshift, avoid rpm ranges but you like the tune lol .
nothing to do with the tune it's the SMF that causes that.
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:07   #57
ttcheung

Fuel Economy: 40mpg

I have a Kerma tune on my otherwise stock 2011 JSW TDI 6MT powertrain. I have been using the tune since 2016, and have went through tune iterations with Kerma after the DieselGate emissions recall. I installed the tune at about 145k miles, and currently have 178k on the odo.

I first noticed the clutch / DMF shudder and reduced acceleration when on 4th and flooring it; I would not experience this with the stock tune. After reading that the stock clutch was rated for +/- 258lb-ft torque, it basically made sense: the clutch just wasn't able to take the advertised 340lb-ft.

I do know that repeated clutch shudders will definitely put enough shock / impulse to ruining the flywheel; those springs can only take so much. I have since learned to keep the heavy foot only on the lower gears. My plan, when the stock clutch gives out, is to look into the Southbend upgraded SMF / clutch kits and some sort of LSD.
ttcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:18   #58
mercdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcheung View Post
I have a Kerma tune on my otherwise stock 2011 JSW TDI 6MT powertrain. I have been using the tune since 2016, and have went through tune iterations with Kerma after the DieselGate emissions recall. I installed the tune at about 145k miles, and currently have 178k on the odo.

I first noticed the clutch / DMF shudder and reduced acceleration when on 4th and flooring it; I would not experience this with the stock tune. After reading that the stock clutch was rated for +/- 258lb-ft torque, it basically made sense: the clutch just wasn't able to take the advertised 340lb-ft.

I do know that repeated clutch shudders will definitely put enough shock / impulse to ruining the flywheel; those springs can only take so much. I have since learned to keep the heavy foot only on the lower gears. My plan, when the stock clutch gives out, is to look into the Southbend upgraded SMF / clutch kits and some sort of LSD.

Itís like weíre twins

mercdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:59   #59
theuprightbass

Default Kerma tune + vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcheung View Post

I have a 2011 Golf with a Kerma tune and recently installed a SMF setup from DKM. The only difference Iíve seen with the SMF is more gearbox chatter at idle. Iíve read that it could affect the 1st-3rd gear synchros but itís only been second hand, anecdotal information. I highly recommend DieselGeeks short throw shifter as well.

theuprightbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:52   #60
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuprightbass View Post
I have a 2011 Golf with a Kerma tune and recently installed a SMF setup from DKM. The only difference I’ve seen with the SMF is more gearbox chatter at idle. I’ve read that it could affect the 1st-3rd gear synchros but it’s only been second hand, anecdotal information. I highly recommend DieselGeeks short throw shifter as well.

That gearbox chatter IS your synchros rattling back and forth. Depending on when exactly VW changed from brass to steel in the 02Q is the important question. '09 02Qs have seen brass, but who knows when exactly they changed over. Only way to know for sure would be to look up parts per your VIN and see what they come up. Brass will take the beating all day long, steel not so much. There are more folks with failures of steel synchros (myself included) than successes with steel synchros.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote