www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 16th, 2019, 11:32   #1
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank
Default Hood Latch

I had to park the '03 Jetta early this winter, since the hood latch would not release, no room in shop to play with it. Well, need to do some distance next week, so need it on the road. Well, if you have ever had this problem, you know there is no easy solution, since you can't get AT the darn thing. I had installed a badgeless grill and put a steel patch in the hood, but the grill turned out to be a real POS that cracked up probably from a bird strike, but flimsy is the best way to describe. I have a far heavier replacement so no biggie to just cut it away for access. Looked at another one we have in buddy's shop, and got a better picture in my mind than I got from Bentley, but still couldn't figure out why it wasn't working when I yanked on the pop-out release lever. Could see one place if I could get at it where I could put a screwdriver in a slot and pry the release lever to where it should let go, so took out the top 3 bolts the pinched the release in place and slid it up as far as it would go by lifting and blocking the hood. FINALLY could see that what was really wrong is the the pin on the secondary latch had jumped/slipped out of the U shaped receptacle that the release lever pulls on to operate the secondary latch. One quick whack popped it back in place, but there is simply no way I can trust this thing to work forever without the same failure.

My solution was to simply order a new one ($ 109.00 Cdn from VWC) and replace it. If I got over 16 years out of the last one, it should last about the time of the rest of the car.

Wonder if anyone else has had to deal with this??
4L='15 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 12:23   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Yep I had on two cars, same exact issue. Replaced them with a wrecking yard part, both cars fine to this day. I have narrowish arms, and if you jack up the left side a little, I can actually reach up from the back side and flick the lock over by hand. Still not easy to do though.
Midwest Light Creation's HID headlights
Nero Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 12:41   #3
CRJjockey

About 5 years ago, I was replacing my broken grill and as soon as I popped the
U-shaped clip and removed the handle the pin fall out. A quick run to the hardware store for a bolt and nylon threaded nut and $.15, problem solved.
CRJjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 16:21   #4
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJjockey View Post
U-shaped clip and removed the handle the pin fall out. A quick run to the hardware store for a bolt and nylon threaded nut and $.15, problem solved.

And today's Jackpot winner is ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr Brks:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:47   #5
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJjockey View Post
Not the same U shaped part. The one I am referring to is on the lever that moves the secondary catch, it is in behind the mounting surface (front) of the latch assembly. It is a bellcrank with a U shaped socket welded to it, and the pin in question is on the secondary (safety) latch portion of the assembly.
4L='15 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 13:20   #6
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Mine's just a coathanger run through the hole rather than the pinned plastic pop out T-handle
ugly as sin, functional as heck

usually the grille can be yanked out with the hood down... Maybe mine's just beat up and worn out.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 03:28   #7
Fahrvegnugen
Veteran Member

Mine’s a coat hanger too it works great but it wore off the paint where the hood clunks down on it.
Fahrvegnugen is offline   Reply With Quote