www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old January 17th, 2019, 11:13   #1
Moggycj

TDI(s): 05 passat
Default Transmission fill/drain plug socket.

Hi wondering if anyone in London has this socket I could borrow to add fluid in my gearbox. Has a leak and itís staring to back a noice. Help would be Appreciated. thank you. https://www.google.ca/search?ei=dc5A...CMFoFhg4KXkRM:
Moggycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 18:51   #2
mogly
Veteran Member

Princess Auto has decent quality 12 pt socket sets available.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 21:32   #3
Moggycj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Princess Auto has decent quality 12 pt socket sets available.

Thank you I called parts source and it was $50 for the kit but my funds are really tight right now. Laid off from work and just looking to see if someone had one I could borrow. Want to get fluid in before itís to late. Was maybe going to see if I could access though breather tube but from looks of pics the breather hole is between the trans and dog tunnel.
Old January 18th, 2019, 11:43   #4
mu3098
Veteran Member

Are you sure you are looking for the right socket. The automatic transmission on the 2005 passat uses a regular 17mm allen / hex bit for the fill plug. Here a link for the proper fill procedure https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/a...ssat-and-audi/
Old January 18th, 2019, 11:55   #5
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

If its a 17mm hex, you can use a wheel bolt to remove it. Simply use a 17mm wrench and the extra part of the wheel bolt that extends past the wrench will go in the drain plug.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 19:20   #6
Moggycj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
If its a 17mm hex, you can use a wheel bolt to remove it. Simply use a 17mm wrench and the extra part of the wheel bolt that extends past the wrench will go in the drain plug.

Sorry forgot to mention I have a fhn 5spd.
Old January 20th, 2019, 18:17   #7
QuickTD
Veteran Member

The FHN uses a regular 17mm allen key in the fill plug but the drain plug in the bottom is a security triple square, (triple square with a hole drilled in the center). I usually just haul the security triple square out with vise grips and replace it with a regular 17mm hex plug from some transaxle in my junk heap. After all these years and all these swaps, I have still not purchased the proper tool...
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 21:20   #8
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Another option is to remove the security feature and use a standard triple square.
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:44   #9
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Or wait until fund are available and buy the proper bit for it. It's not like the transmission is going to explode if you wait a little more. I still have the same oil in my FHN that the transmission came with when I bought it used 4.5 years ago. Unlike automatic transmissions, manuals are not that finicky when it comes to regular oil change interval. There oil doesn't get as dirty because there is no friction material to wear.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:24   #10
Moggycj

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
The FHN uses a regular 17mm allen key in the fill plug but the drain plug in the bottom is a security triple square, (triple square with a hole drilled in the center). I usually just haul the security triple square out with vise grips and replace it with a regular 17mm hex plug from some transaxle in my junk heap. After all these years and all these swaps, I have still not purchased the proper tool...
Fill plug on mine is also triple square. Got the proper tool. Pulled fill plug to stick my finger in the hole. And brass fillings not much oil in it. Filled it up to see oil drain out the bell housing ��. My thoughts maybe a bad input seal?

Last edited by Moggycj; January 24th, 2019 at 10:28.
Old January 24th, 2019, 15:14   #11
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

You filled it to the bottom of the fill plug and it immediately leaked out the bell housing? That is not good. Something must have perforated the case. You'll likely have to pull the gearbox at minimum to investigate.

The good news, with the manual swap, you don't even have to drop the subframe anymore! The last B5 manual, it only took me an hour to pull.
Old January 25th, 2019, 06:02   #12
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Brass filings and not much oil? That transmission needs to come out and taken apart. Sounds like it was driven without enough oil.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2019, 13:02   #13
Moggycj

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Brass filings and not much oil? That transmission needs to come out and taken apart. Sounds like it was driven without enough oil.
I think so to I had issues last year with the third gear not going in to gear with out grinding. Unless I was to make the shift at the right rpms. My thought is it’s from a bad Synkro. I’m just waiting on my friend to put his hoist up so I can get the car in the air and pull the transmission. Then maybe try and source a new one. Love hate relationship with this passat. I came to appreciate the torque after driving my friends matrix the other day
Old February 17th, 2019, 22:38   #14
Moggycj

Well I got some time and a spot to bring the car in to pull the transmission. And well get it out to find a big hole blown out in front of the ring gear. 😥. Made a phone call to Bruce and he was able to source me out the transmission 2 km from where I was. Score. Thanks again. Got it in the car and seems to be working great now. And Surprisingly wasnít too painful to change eight hours maybe going at it softly.