www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 13th, 2019, 14:17   #16
highmileage
Veteran Member

*your*
highmileage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:36   #17
wtribeflyer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
the seat belt has a built in stick of dynamite that explodes and locks the seat belt, tight, in a crash, they never retract once the explosion occurs. One time use.
My seat belt retractror exploded in a frontal crash before I bought my b5.5 but the seat belt still retracted fine it just sets an airbag code.. IIRC.
wtribeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 04:33   #18
highmileage
Veteran Member

Just to follow up and state what I did. May be helpful to somebody. I bought a used clockspring on E-bay. Installed replacement part. DTC's changed. ABS module now needed to be recoded and steering recalibrated. This was done with VCDS. All good.
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:00   #19
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmileage View Post
Just to follow up and state what I did. May be helpful to somebody. I bought a used clockspring on E-bay. Installed replacement part. DTC's changed. ABS module now needed to be recoded and steering recalibrated. This was done with VCDS. All good.

I am at this point also. How did you recode and re-calibrate this?
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 18:50   #20
highmileage
Veteran Member
Default coding

It is a relatively simple process using Ross-Tech VCDS. There is a video on youtube demonstrating the process. Search youtube for "coding the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 ABS modules." The video I used was 10 minutes and 17 seconds long to help identify it. It is helpful. You need the brake production code and some other basic information to figure out your login code and recoding code. There are some others, such as calibration 40168, others given in the video. Procedure is to get abs module number, figure out the login number. My car was 09557 for the login number. BHW cars are likely similar with the exception of the third digit which could vary depending on brake production code. Video of A4 was 1LE, as was mine. You then get the soft coding number similar process to login. Mine was 04257. Brake pr code variable also. There are possible workshop and importer codes on the soft coding page, Then you recalibrate.(40168) The dtc's I had were 00778-steering angle sensor-not matched-intermittant and 01044-module incorrectly coded. Erased by procedure. Any further questions feel free to ask and definitely watch the video. It goes step by step. I think it is a good idea to write down all your numbers before you change anything so you can always go back. if necessary. Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:50   #21
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Thanks, I think I will need it.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 10:21   #22
highmileage
Veteran Member

Don't be concerned. Just go step by step. It really is easy. What I did was play/pause the Ross-Tech video as I was doing the procedure. I also watched the video a couple of times first to get a better grasp before I started.