how is factory rear lip spoiler attached?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
I bought the OEM rear lip spoiler for one Passat NMS, and (even though the VW product page said that it comes without any adhesive) it came with double-side tape strips already attached to the surface that touches the trunk lid top (but not the narrower part that touches the vertical back part of the trunk lid).

When a Passat NMS comes from the factory with a lip spoiler, is that attached the same way, or do they use a liquid adhesive?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I just a little wing installed on the Beetle. It uses one little bolt in the middle and 2 part epoxy on the sides. VW approved epoxy that is!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have to ask how the OP is mating a NMS Passat rear trunk spoiler lip to his 2001 Golf as the Golf does NOT have a trunk lid? :confused: OP's profile only shows a 2001 Golf hence the question...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It only attaches to the flat top surface of the trunk. The tape does not hold it to the rear vertical face of the trunk.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I attached the rear spoiler myself. I was not confident the double-sided tape would hold the spoiler in place so I used Betalink as well. It is not going any where now https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/betalink-body-panel-adhesive-glue/82699408866kt/

FYI, I also purchased the VW ground effects. I went to the dealer to have them installed and they referred me to their preferred body/collision center. The ground effects also use the double-sided tape and both bodyside moldings came loose within a month or so. I had to remove them and reattached them using the betelink

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I attached the rear spoiler myself. I was not confident the double-sided tape would hold the spoiler in place so I used Betalink as well. It is not going any where now https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/betalink-body-panel-adhesive-glue/82699408866kt/

FYI, I also purchased the VW ground effects. I went to the dealer to have them installed and they referred me to their preferred body/collision center. The ground effects also use the double-sided tape and both bodyside moldings came loose within a month or so. I had to remove them and reattached them using the betelink
I installed my ebay rear lip spoiler a couple years ago using only the 3m double sided tape. It'll never come off....

I did have my body shop attach the front VW lip while they were painting it (and the bumper). I am pretty sure it's only double sided tape as well. I used a wax and film remover on the trunk (same stuff to prep for painting) and the front bumper was fresh paint so the tape adhered very well.