What is the Passat NMS engine???

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
OK, I drive an old Beetle '00 TDI, and I need to replace my car, so I'm looking into the new Passat TDI. But, I need to know a little about what I'm getting into. For one thing, I don't want to get all the inherent troubles I've had with my Beetle TDI (for examples: changing the timing belt every 40,000 miles was a financial torture until I upgraded to the after-market 100,000 mile timing belt kit on the 4th time; and the 'silent-recall' fuel pick-up problem was a nightmare).

So, here are my questions:

1. What is the Passat NMS TDI Engine (Mk-???)?
  2. Any PECULIARITIES with the new TDI Engine design?
  3. Am I going to be the slave of the Dealer during the life of the Warranty (change oil+filter, air filter, fuel filter, etc.)?
  4. Is the Warranty still 36,000 miles?
  5. What is the replacement schedule for the timing belt?
  6. How often do I have to replace the fuel filter?
  7. Does this car come with a soot collecting canister for which I must often have the car serviced at the dealer?
  8. Does the engine shut off automatically because one of the tires caught a nail, or one of the tires is not properly inflated?
  9. How tyrannical is this engine's computer (how often does it go on limpmode for whatever reason)?
  10. What is the reliability of the turbocharger for this new engine?
  11. What is the reliability of the intercooler for this new engine?
  12. How reliable is the cruise control (or how often must I replace the cruise control lever assembly)?
  13. How reliable are the power windows?
  14. What is the life of the plastic door+window nobs and cabin surfaces?
  15. What is the life of the fuel door lock?
It is nice to get 40+ mpg, but I want to know that I will recoup my investment during the first 5 years, not after owning it for 10.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are complaining about one of the sturdiest, most trusted, most reliable TDI engines ever sold here (the ALH in your 2000) you probably won't want to even consider the CKRA engine in the NMS Passat.

Just bein' honest.

oilhammer

TDI
What is the Passat NMS TDI Engine (Mk-???)? It is a commonrail 2.0L, not the same as the one used in the Golf/Jetta/Beetle, engine code CKRA.
  1. Any PECULIARITIES with the new TDI Engine design? too new, check back in 5 years.
  2. Am I going to be the slave of the Dealer during the life of the Warranty (change oil+filter, air filter, fuel filter, etc.)? You needn't be the "slave of the dealer" after you drive it off the lot.
  3. Is the Warranty still 36,000 miles? Nope, but I never needed a warranty anyways.
  4. What is the replacement schedule for the timing belt? 130k miles
  5. How often do I have to replace the fuel filter? 20k, same as your ALH (interval, not the same filter).
  6. Does this car come with a soot collecting canister for which I must often have the car serviced at the dealer? DPFs are designed to last 'at least' 120k miles, most will go much longer. Again, you needn't have your car serviced at a dealer.
  7. Does the engine shut off automatically because one of the tires caught a nail, or one of the tires is not properly inflated? No, no idea where you got that from. It does have TPMS, which ALL new cars are required by your gov't to have.
  8. How tyrannical is this engine's computer (how often does it go on limpmode for whatever reason)? Haha, that is funny. Again, check back in 5 years. Much more complex than your ALH, though... exponentially.
  9. What is the reliability of the turbocharger for this new engine? Check back 5 years.
  10. What is the reliability of the intercooler for this new engine? Check back 5 years.
  11. How reliable is the cruise control (or how often must I replace the cruise control lever assembly)?Check back 5 years.
  12. How reliable are the power windows? Check back 5 years.
  13. What is the life of the plastic door+window nobs and cabin surfaces? Check back, 10 years.
  14. What is the life of the fuel door lock? Check back, 5 years.
It is nice to get 40+ mpg, but I want to know that I will recoup my investment during the first 5 years, not after owning it for 10.
Bold is mine. Sounds to me like you have been getting very poor service in general with your 2000, and haven't realized you can go somewhere beyond a dealer, which may be pricey. You also may be complaining about what is pretty normal stuff for Volkswagens in general. Have you considered another make of car? Volkswagens may not be for you. My 2000 Golf (mechanically identical to your 2000 Beetle) is a great car, and will pass 440k miles soon.

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Looking in the internet for the 'chakra' code you mention, gives me this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308323&page=151.

It is good to know. Thanks for telling me!

I love my Beetle TDI (I have 226K miles myself). And I wish I would keep it for 800K miles more. But I don't have a professional garage at home to do all the work (and the Pep Boys guys flee whenever they see me).

The big issue I've had is that local VW dealers in NJ are run by the same 'Italian guys' who own other dealerships (they even burn down as often). Keep in mind that my experience is that the VW technicians are the good guys, not their bosses.

Toyota and Nissan cars are little more reliable though. Yet they don't sell diesel cars in the USA. And my wife's FORD has also impressed me for the past 16 years for its reliability.

IF VW incorporated all the lessons from my ALH car into their new designs, then I shouldn't worry for the new Passat NMS. My impression though is that VW management is like GM..., and that in itself doesn't inspire too much confidence. I'd hate to see another one of those SILENT RECALLS for which I find out by myself after years of limping along.

Still, at this stage, I look forward to buying the Passat NMS. That is why THIS TIME I want to know what I'm getting into. Your CKRA hint goes a long way in getting me out of the dark.

oilhammer

TDI
You may also want to look for someone else besides the dealer for service. Hevster is in NJ, not sure how far away he is from you (but being from Missouri, NJ is such a postage stamp of a place I would think ANYWHERE would be fairly close, given I drive daily the complete width of your state, LOL!).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You do know there is a Passat NMS forum here you can go and read about this model to your hearts content. Lots of info there for you to study prior to making up your mind.