www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:46   #1
Bronco648
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 47
Default Chicago NW Burbs - Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 Quarts?

Hi All,

It's time to change the oil in my Beetle TDI. I'm having trouble finding Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in quart containers. I bought a gallon at the local Wally World but am still short a quart. I checked the local AZ and they didn't have any (in qts or gals).

Any thoughts? BTW, I'm in the Woodfield Mall vicinity.

TIA, Dave.
Bronco648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:15   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

I think I've seen quarts at Advance Auto Parts. I'm certain I've seen it at Autozone.

PepBoi is a big Mobil retailer. I can't recall what I've seen there. You could telephone and see what they have.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:18   #3
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

If you have a Meijers local to you, they sell gal jugs for around $20 last time I checked.

My local Autozones seem to be discontinuing TDT.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 15:48   #4
All of Us
Ian's Dad

Dave:

The last time I bought any in quart containers was at the Autozone in Lyons, IL. I have since picked up several 1 gallon containers from Walmart, but don't recall seeing any quart bottles there. Maybe Murray/O'reilly's carries it. You could also try your local Carquest store. Good luck on your quest! Let us know where you end up finding it.

Dan
'03 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath" Reflex Silver, M5
All of Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 16:01   #5
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco648 View Post
Hi All,

It's time to change the oil in my Beetle TDI. I'm having trouble finding Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in quart containers. I bought a gallon at the local Wally World but am still short a quart. I checked the local AZ and they didn't have any (in qts or gals).

TIA, Dave.
I'm confused. Why not go back to the same one gal container? Quart prices are more!
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 22:56   #6
Ausgezeichnet TDi

TDI(s): None

Yep, Meijer is the cheapest by us Bronco, $20/gal. Quarts run ~$7 at the local "auto-parts" aka light bulbs/oil/car washing supplies store. I've got more than an extra quart left over from my last change, $5 and its yours.
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:13   #7
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I went to Fleet Farm today and there on the shelf was quart bottles of Mobil 1 TDT and this store even had it available in a case of quarts. Plymouth, Wisc. So if you have simular type store, you might even find it. They even had Amsoil DEO on the shelf by the quart.
Old October 31st, 2010, 13:31   #8
All of Us
Ian's Dad

Bronco:

FYI, the closest fleet farm is out in Sycamore, as in almost to DeKalb. Can't say whether they have TDT in quarts though.

Dan
Old October 31st, 2010, 22:15   #9
BioFuelsDude
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38 mpg combined
Default Amsoil

Hey,

I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything but next time maybe you should look into AMSOIL. I've extended intervals on my oil changes by 2K miles from 5K to 7K using this oil and using engine oil analyzers. I could extend it further, and I will, but the vehicle i drive now gets like 6K miles a year on it. They recommend changing it after 15K miles or one year, whatever comes first. In addition I buy NAPA gold filters, which are made by WIX and filter down to 25 microns.

My personal choice is their full synthetic blend oil versus what Mobil 1 and others are, partial synthetic. This is just my opinion and I'm not sponsored by AMSOIL or WIX, I just know I can trust it after a few years of using it and saving money on extended oil intervals. I hope to get my daily driver to the 15K or 1 year mark and just change filters every 5K. In the long run it equals less times on my back and less money out of my pocket.

http://www.buysynthetic.com/ I use this AMSOIL dealer. He is located in Carol Stream, IL and he can deliver your products to you or you can pick them up from the regional warehouse in Wood Dale, IL. Since your in Itasca its a town over from you which isn't far at all. The guy that runs this site is a former mechanic and does this in addition to his full time job. He has helped with a few car problems to. Real nice guy. Again, not getting paid by anyone here or being sponsored by someone just giving my personal experience on a great product.

Erik

Last edited by BioFuelsDude; October 31st, 2010 at 22:21.
BioFuelsDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:22   #10
Bronco648
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 47

Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to find M1 TDT in quart containers at the AZ in Des Plaines (which happens to be on my commute to/from work). However, it was $8 (!!!).

ruking: I'm thinking I may just buy gallon containers from now on (Wally World or Meijer).

BFD: My Beetle sees about 6K miles per year as well and I may consider Amsoil since the warehouse is local to me. Thanks for the tip. My neighbor's son is the service manager at the local VW dealer. So, I'm sticking with OE filters since they're priced "right", so to speak (not that NAPA/Wix aren't good).

Ausgez: thanks for the offer, I'm sorry I missed out.
Bronco648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 13:01   #11
r0nd3L

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

I just bought two gallons jugs and have a lot of spare oil left.

I'm willing to sell it cheap or just have it go around local members who need to change oil now.

I would keep it, but probably won't need oil change again till next year.
r0nd3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 14:38   #12
All of Us
Ian's Dad

Matas:

Where did you pick up the gallon jugs? I had to go to the Walmart in Downers Grave (Grove) to find it last time.

Dan
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:35   #13
r0nd3L

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by All of Us View Post
Matas:
Where did you pick up the gallon jugs? I had to go to the Walmart in Downers Grave (Grove) to find it last time.
Dan
Walmart in Glen Ellyn, on Butterfield Rd. and IL-53. They had quite a jugs few in stock.
r0nd3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:10   #14
ChiTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '02 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco648 View Post
Hi All,

TIA, Dave.
Quite often the local Auto Zone or Pep Boys carry the oil in quarts, but don't always display it with the other M1 shelves.
I"ve found it alone, separate, sitting on the top shelves of the "diesel stuff" cabinet.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:42   #15
traubenberg
Veteran Member

I've had a hell of a time finding the 1-gal TDT containers anymore. Used to see them everywhere *before* I got my TDI ...then I got it and poof - no more. Then again, TDI isn't too popular up by me (Libertyville). Ah well.

Didn't think to check Farm n Fleet. There's one near my in-laws in Belvidere. (Which is closer to the OP than DeKalb, btw.)