Beetle 2006 TDI

Andy Gio

TDI
New Beetle 2006
I have searched high and low for an answer to this question.

Is there something novel about the 2006 TDI in my new Beetle (U.S. version) that would alter the ability to use B100 or straight vegetable oil (with the appropriate modification).

Can I get feedback from vegetable oil users that have modified the 1.9l VW TDI (2004-2006 or older) with the Greasecar system or the Frybrid system?

Thanks,

Gio

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
You should be able to use b100 without any problems unless it gets colder than 40 F. JUST DONT TELL YOUR LOCAL STEALER, HE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU USE ANYTHING MORE THAN B 5!!!!!!

Vege oil is totally different and you will have to get a tank heater etc, Search the forums for this.

If it was my car I would just burn b100, we have a 2004 pd and we use b20-b40 all the time.

testy_SOB

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 1998, Red
Andy Gio said:

Is there something novel about the 2006 TDI in my new Beetle (U.S. version) that would alter the ability to use B100 or straight vegetable oil (with the appropriate modification).

Can I get feedback from vegetable oil users that have modified the 1.9l VW TDI (2004-2006 or older) with the Greasecar system or the Frybrid system?

Thanks,

Gio
If you can afford to fix any problems on your car using your own out of pocket resources then go ahead and use B100. IF YOU CAN'T afford to give up warranty protection then never use anything more then B5 biod blends and keep a detailed fuel log with receipts to prove where and what kind of fuel you used.

And never offer to the dealer information that they don't ask for and keep any bumper stickers or other indications of biod use off or away from your car. Even if B5 only. Don't lie but don't offer either.

skurf

TDI
06 Golf
I have a 2006 TDI and have been using Biodiesel for the life of the car, now over 19k miles, and no problems so far. I've heard Straight Vegetable Oil is NOT advisable for a newer TDI (PD's) cars even if you get a conversion kit. I think the main reason for this is that the vegetable oil would be too thick for the high pressure injection system of the PD TDI's, among other possible problems. I'm no expert, and this is just what I've heard, but I've heard it many times.

testy_SOB

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 1998, Red
Andy Gio said:

Thanks,

Gio
Gio,

I'll take another stab at this. There is nothing about your NB that would prevent you from using either B100 or a WVO conversion. The question isn't "will it work" the question is "How long will it work before you have costly problems"

You say you looked high and low,, not sure where... Do a search here for PD and Biodiesel and you should come up with MANY threads that deal with your generation engine and both BioD as well as WVO conversion experiences. I think you will find that it is not an event free proposition. One thing for certain... If you run more then 5% BioD and try to get warranty protection on anything under the hood... you could have a fight on your hands... and yes they have ways of determining if you have run BioD that unless you really know what you're doing you can't cover up.

Andy Gio

TDI
New Beetle 2006
Testy,

The threads are fascinating... I guess we won't know until someone who relly knows what they are doing getss to 200K miles. I was mostly interested in specific responses to whether the 2006 version differs from 2004, 2005 TDI PD. More specifically, chip /sensors that put you in limp mode with >B5.

Thanks for you reply, though.