How long after buyback closing is a bank loan paid off?

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
As far as the overpayment issue goes, the loan pay off on mine is from December. So should I go contact Claims and provide them with the updated payoff info to prevent the overpayment mishap?

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Thankfully we fall into the non-drama category with the buyback on 3/9, EFT done on 3/14 and loan payoff to a credit union on 3/17. I was surprised the loan payoff happened as quick as it did.

Glad we got the buyback done because the loan would have been paid off the next month and then the re-title / re-schedule process would have been necessary. Didn't think that was going to be an issue when submitting the papers last Nov.

notAJeep

TDI
MKVI
As far as the overpayment issue goes, the loan pay off on mine is from December. So should I go contact Claims and provide them with the updated payoff info to prevent the overpayment mishap?
You can try, but it does not seem to matter to VW. I brought in a copy from that morning of what I owe on the car, and was told that they will split the payment based on the last time they got the payoff from the lender. Which looks to be when the whole process was just started

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Buy back on March 20, get on March 22, loan paid off March 27. The loan company said it might take 30 days before I receive the overage check.

tomg113

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Buyback on Feb. 3rd
VW Credit loan paid off March 15th
Now we wait for the VW Credit refund for 2 payments. I think I remember being told it could be about 30 days till I receive the check.
Well, I received my overage payment from VW Credit today in the mail.
I'm done.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Buyback March 30th 4pm.
Chase email received April 1st, 10pm
Funds in my bank account Monday Morning, April 3.
VW credit received payoff payment March 31.
Still due ~$600 overage paid to VW credit.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Turned in car on Saturday, April 1st, took about 15 minutes. They didn't even move the car. I took off the aftermarket parts that I had installed and had her pretty clean for the buyback. I left with a check and my third party loan was paid off today, well within the 3 business day that they said. The extra three payments that I had made were put into the savings account at the same CU. VW seems to have all the wheels greased, good job. For those that care, my attorney did not charge me a dime, so, adios amigos, it's been real...Mark

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
buyback was 3/18. eft to my checking was 3/21. my credit union as of this morning was still not paid off. Called to see what was going on and they said it had been mailed and was accepted on 3/22. BUT they sent it to a bank in Columbus Oh that is obviously not my credit union in Huntington. SMH
Person on phone said she was escalating it and cancelling the check they had sent to the wrong place and call me later.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Will be eight weeks Wed. Just got off phone with no answers. I went back a few pages but didn't someone post a phone number and name they called to get this over with?

Last lady said, she showed last entry as 3/2 and said it would take a couple weeks. I told her that was five weeks ago. She put me on hold. I hung up after 15 minutes.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Buyback paperwork closed at 7PM Thursday, Chase email waiting for me when I woke up Saturday, money in my (also chase) account when I checked at 10am today (Monday). Did I set a record?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, no record--that's about the norm for EFT buybacks. Loan payoffs have been taking longer, though it seems they may be speeding up on average.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Buyback March 30th 4pm.
Chase email received April 1st, 10pm
Funds in my bank account Monday Morning, April 3.
VW credit received payoff payment March 31.
Still due ~$600 overage paid to VW credit.
overage from VW credit received today-April 24. Transaction complete.

TDI
00 Jetta TDI
Where does VW find these people? Called VWGOA to ask what my payoff was they had on file and if it was possible to have them check with VW Credit and update it since it had been so long since I originally completed my paperwork.

Representative told me he could not update the loan payoff because it is calculated by mileage.

I was so mortified with what he told me I began recording the phone call and had him repeat it.

Joe Mumma

TDI
2013 Sportwagen
No check, no documentation

I just hung up with VW asking for my overage due to my CU account and they offered me nothing but escalation of the issue to a 'supervisor' and refused to communicate to me in writing on the issue. I turned the car in on 4/10/17 and it is currently 6/12/17. Considering their process added interest to my transaction it seems far I should be paid interest while they hold my funds. It is clear that if they simply do not respond or act I have no option but to file for relief and damages in court. There is no process offered by VW except to sit back and wait. The computer of the rep showed my claim as closed as does their online portal.

opsx

TDI
tdi
silly question: what if when you fill out the vwgoa claim for a car with a loan you dont put in the actual amount you owe - rather put in a little less? this way you dont have to worry about getting overage checks and instead can control the payoff yourself at the end once your loan gets almost paid-off? would that not work? sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
It doesn't matter what you put; that's just an estimate. VW contacts your bank and gets a 10 day payoff before processing your payment.

The problem is their 10 day payoff is generally 1-2 months too early since they are taking too long on the paperwork.

VeeDubLver

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI, 2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2010 VW Jetta TDI, 2002 golf
Anyone else having issues where the VW Credit loan still shows as open on their credit report?

Serrakuzz

TDI
done
While I don't have specific details about VW's process at that time, typically, after a buyback, the car loan payoff occurs within a few business days. The company should handle the payment directly with your lender, ensuring everything is settled smoothly.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
While I don't have specific details about VW's process at that time, typically, after a buyback, the car loan payoff occurs within a few business days. The company should handle the payment directly with your lender, ensuring everything is settled smoothly.
Think this thread was dead for YEARS cause the buyback was DONE YEARS ago.....

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Think this thread was dead for YEARS cause the buyback was DONE YEARS ago.....
Mine got bought back in 2022, but mine was probably pretty close to being a one off situation.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Are these AI bots coming into a 7 year old thread, registering the day of their singular post that advertises a mortgage broker that's completely unrelated to the topic?

Mods, seems like it's time to close this thread...