2005 bhw marine stand alone

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I am building my marine vw for my jet boat, i am deleting the egr and dpf. I have removed power steering and ac, as they are no use to me.
What about the vacuum system, what function does it support?

Thanks for your time

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No DPF on a BHW. Vacuum runs the VNT system on the turbo, as well as the brake boost (don't care) and the recirc flap on the A/C (don't care).

Given that pump (vacuum) also has the fuel pump integral, you are going to need it both for fuel supply and VNT function. Unless you are going NA with different engine management.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Alright, thanks for the help.
I don't think i am going to run a vnt,
But good to know regardless, i was really hoping to eliminate that system on the engine. But i guess not

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How are you planning to control the turbo then?/

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You're going to need to run the stock cluster (unless you are tuning the ECU with an IMMO defeat), why not just use the cluster tach?

You can use what you linked, you can also use a OBDII dongle with an android tablet/phone running torque for far less money than what you listed above.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
With a obd2 dongle transciever your options for gauges are only what the ecu reads nothing aftermarket like a pyrometer?

And i would prefer to have something that could stay on the boat, i could see a tablet or phone being a hassle

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I'm looking for some opinions on An idea i have for a water to air intercooler. This pictures shows the air and water inlets reversed. I am wondering if you think this would provide sufficient cooling in a 12" long bundle, the water temps will be at max 58°f... That is the highest i have seen local river temperatures, so having a consistently cold intercooler won't be a issue, i just can't find a awic core that fits the shape i want

And once again thanks for your comments/help

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Plus you could set the tablet up with an interface for depth/fish finder, radar/GPS system, etc. I know of several people, when I was down in West Palm, that had setups like that in their boats.

A 2005 BHW is PD - so why not do IMMO delete and just keep the same ECM? EGR can be chipped out or nearly so, besides there is some arguments about fuel consumption vs EGR which may be more relevant on a boat?

Please tell me you are doing a water/water system for engine cooling. Not fun cleaning all the crap out of the cooling system. I have seen finned radiator systems that intergrate onto the hull bottom, but don't know many details. Wonder if they would work for you?

Interesting project, please keep the updates rolling in.

Jason

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Interesting about the dongle thing, it's just so new to me, i guess buying a gauge that cones with all the sensors makes sense to me?

Yeah it will be a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger and sand trap to help keep most of the debris out of the raw water side of the system.

I am doing a immobilizer delete, and going to tune out the egr, based on the goo on the intake three is no way that it's a great benefit to the engine?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Have you had a look in the conversions forum? There are several marine TDI threads there although I don't think I've seen one with a BHW or any PD engine yet. Still you could probably get some helpful info. Cool project!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
With a obd2 dongle transciever your options for gauges are only what the ecu reads nothing aftermarket like a pyrometer?...

No need for an aftermarket pyrometer. The BHW has an EGT sensor which will read out in whatever app you use.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No need for an aftermarket pyrometer. The BHW has an EGT sensor which will read out in whatever app you use.
The BHW EGT will not read in an OBDII app like torque (tried, several times:().

It will read in VCDS, just not Torque.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The BHW EGT will not read in an OBDII app like torque (tried, several times:().

It will read in VCDS, just not Torque.
I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying that. How about something like a P3 Cars set up?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not on a bhw.

Earlier units (alh and ahu) can be converted to a mechanical pump, not possible with this engine.
You will need to use the ecu, and cluster unless you get the ecu tuned to remove the security system that makes it look for the cluster in order to start.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
;) Sure, attach a cable to the throttle pedal.

But in all seriousness the fueling is controlled by the ECM setting duty cycle of the injector solenoids. There is no where to connect a throttle cable for direct mechanical control on a PD.

What I would do is hook up your throttle control cable to the throttle pedal so you can keep the same marine controls.

Jason

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
One caveat - the throttle on my boat also puts the gear box into gear and selects direction.

I assume your boat is similar? Also most boats the throttle stays where you left it where in cars you have to hold the position or it will return to idle. So obviously the simplest conversion is take the cable that pulled/pushed the throttle on the old engine and attach it to the electronic pedal.

Of course there are likely e-throttle boat controls, but they probably coast more than your whole boat and the engine you are putting in. Just trying to keep the $$ reasonable.

Jason

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Also, the throttle linkage needs to cut the "ignition" momentarily when you put the transmission into forward or reverse. Or else it will grind the cogs and slam it into gear. This will shorten the life of the gear case.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
Well with a jet boat there is no gear box, it is just a bucket that drops over the nozzle and changes the direction of flow.

I have come up with two options.

Dual lever throttle, one for the bucket, factory throttle for... The throttle. And remove spring and replace with fiber washers to let throttle hold in place when cruising.

Or use a single lever control

And the throttle cable portion will jump back to the throttle pedal via short throttle cable.
Spring well remain installed and the shift lever will be able to set and cruise..

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
Uberhare can you elaborate on your comment please ??? [4 bytes. BTDT.]
Love to rid my ecm of the IMOO

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You need a method of being able to read an eeprom on the board, change the appropriate bytes and write it back. Spend some time on ECU tuning forums, it's all there.

Tnairn

TDI
2.0 bhw - jet boat
I'm trying to sort out my tuning, based on the parts i have bought. I live in chilliwack, bc, Canada. I have no issues shipping the ecu. But i needd some help finding a good tuner who will support me in my one off build.

Who would you recommend for a task like this

I tried dealing with Malone but i have had no response, and they require information that i don't have because i just bought a engine of eBay.

For the jet boat i believe i need:

immobilizer delete
Emitions delete... Egr dpf
Dynamic idol? (is this a high idol to warm up engine)?
Glow plug strength and duration increased
Turbo is vacuum actuated(VNT smart actuator delete)
Tuning for 220ish hp

I

This is what they offer for tuning options

EGR delete (off-road), VNT smart actuator delete, left-foot-brake fix, cruise control fix for 5th gear upgrade or 6 speed transmission swap, or a combination of these features.

Any the above features plus Dynamic EGR, Dynamic Idle, glow plug duration and strength increase, or a combination of these features.

Immobilizer delete. Your engine computer may need to be shipped to us to accomplish this. Must also provide proof of car ownership.

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
Uberhare thanks for the reply,the one thing I seem to not have enough of but will read up, have a soon in law plenty capable of it.
Have a site suggestion ??