Removing 3M Film

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
The 3M film on my car (clear bra I guess?) looks like crap now after 10 years and I peeled some it away only to reveal a crap load of sticky residue. What's the best way to remove this residue? Some kind of thinner? I really don't want to hurt the paint...

Thanks

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Maybe try a heat gun on a low setting, try it on the bumper cover first and see how it goes .

Sent from my Current time and location

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Yeah, it's easier to peel the film away with heat, but there's still too much of the adhesive gunk left on the car. Feels like rubber cement.

Only thing I can think of is a solvent of some kind, but I don't want to hurt the paint...

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
3M adhesive remover. Try in inconspicuous area first, but it didnt hurt my friend's honda when used for the exact same purpose; taking 3M bra adhesive off a hood.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Before trying any strong solvents, I would try some "GooGone". It is a citrus smelling oily product that often does an amazing job of cleaning up old adhesives. I don't know the chemistry of it, but it usually works. After cleaning up the adhesive, I would suggest a good wash and wax.

Have Fun!

Don

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Would you please post if you find anything that does a good job. I have a 2004 Jetta that I installed the clear bra on 10 years ago. Now it is looking rather crappy so I would like to remove it. I removed 1 small section but found that adhesive that was left behind to be extremely difficult to get off (I had some trichloroethylene which had some effectiveness but still required a lot of rubbing).

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I have used Tarminator. Its sold at NAPA, designed to get off road tar and bugs. works great on adhesives from badges, trim the the like. Otherwise Goof Off will work, not sure if it will hurt the paint thou.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
+1 for WD-40 to remove goo. Goo Gone, Goof Off, just dont seem to work. WD and a bit of patience (keep moving the cloth around as the goo will build up) seems to work the best for me too for sticky stuff.

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Pre-cut.

There's literally a film of goo after I remove the actual film... lol. It's a nightmare. I have Goo Gone, but I didn't want to try it because I have no idea if it will hurt the paint.

Maybe I'll try WD40... I'll look into the 3M adhesive remover too.