Nice little piece Putting Shell and Castrol by the FTC

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I learned about Castrol Syntec the hard way a couple of years ago ... my Yamaha FZR400 race bike was an oil burner until I switched to something else. Consumption went down a lot, but the damage was already done. During this past winter's rebuild, I found scored cylinder walls on all four cylinders, and worn main / rod bearings.

I freshened it all up, with 0.5mm oversize Yamaha pistons, and ALL of my vehicles are now 100% Castrol-free zones. That same engine is now running strong (for a 400cc engine...) with NO oil consumption on Mobil 1 15w50.

Remember the valve-lifter noise we talked about at the GTG? My car did that when it had the oil the dealer put in it (Castrol). The noise stopped when I switched to Delvac 1. Good enough for me.

All these reflect my personal views only, of course...

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
These stupid bastages will never learn will they!

Castrol and Shell are really on the same level as Dura-Lube and Motor-Up in my book now. Forget anything good I ever said about Castrol. - stupid idiots!
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9909/shellcastrol.htm
It seems that the article at the FTC website has been expunged. Since they need server space it generates a '404' type error when browsed today.

I realize that this an old thread.

Here is the archive copy. It also could dissapear at any time.

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20000307001828/https://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9909/shellcastrol.htm

~R:)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm not sure how an 18-year-old article about fuel additives marketing deception has much relevance today.

Unless you're implying that Shell and Castrol are continuing with deceptive claims about their products?

We all know that change, personal and corporate, is difficult. It isn't impossible. Many, many examples that we all know about...VAG, for instance...

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Using modern car engine oil in a motorcycle is not a good idea. The automotive oil is designed to be compatible with catalytic converters and other emission control devices on automotive engines, and doesn't have the additives needed for motorcycle engines or transmissions. Try a good motorcycle oil for your motorcycle(s). This is sort of like running engine oil in the transmission of a motorcycle, changing to a good motorcycle gear oil will improve shifting 100% easily.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Using modern car engine oil in a motorcycle is not a good idea. The automotive oil is designed to be compatible with catalytic converters and other emission control devices on automotive engines, and doesn't have the additives needed for motorcycle engines or transmissions. Try a good motorcycle oil for your motorcycle(s). This is sort of like running engine oil in the transmission of a motorcycle, changing to a good motorcycle gear oil will improve shifting 100% easily.
LOL... a thread from the 2000's with a new post with a 2000's myth.

There are plenty of automotive oils that are plenty fine for bikes... Rotella being one of them.