VA people----- anyone?

DeanOusterhout

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, sold the 2000 golf and jetta
I have not done the fronts. Backs were easy. Where are you located? I am in Newport News around J-Clyde and Jefferson.

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of 2001 Golf TDI & 2010 JSW TDI
I'm live in White Stone (Rappahannock River meets Chesapeake Bay) and commute to Richmond. I've seen loads of TDIs driving Rt. 33 and I64 in the mornings and evening and even honk to a bunch. I'm the green golf (usually speeding by :eek:).

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

well I did it, the backs were cake. 15 mins ea. The fronts pass is giving me a fit, I looked around and can't find how/what to do to get the control arm lower. It only needs to go about 3" more to get the strut out of the spindle. I started that side first because the posts I read here said it was going to be the worst. I think if I compress the spring more maybe it will come out?????? I'm down by the Lynhaven mall. More after work.

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

Well its done, the fronts were not bad at all!!!!!! If you take the time to put the spring compressor on upside down you do not have to do anything funky with the passenger side subframe. It rides nice and it got rid of a noise that has been there since it was 6 months old. The dealer couldn't find it???????? So I'm back on the road and will be going for a test drive this weekend some place????

DeanOusterhout

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, sold the 2000 golf and jetta
Did you need an air wrench to get the top bolts off? Where did you get the spring compressors?

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

I went to a local parts store to rent the tool and the nut comes off with air. The pressure of the spring stops the shaft from spinning so you don't need to have an torx/allen wrench on to stop from spinning, at least thats what worked for me.

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of 2001 Golf TDI & 2010 JSW TDI
Dean_Ousterhout said:
SipnFuel.... what time in the AM do you hit the 64 WB? I am usually between 7:30-8:00
I get on at the West Point exit. Usually before 7:00 AM. I try to get to Richmond before 7:30 to beat the traffic. In the evening, it varies. Usually departing Richmond between 4:00 and 4:30.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
ericy said:
My girlfriend also drives a TDI, so we actually have two in our house.
__. Ditto for us, two '03 wagons. But we're near Ft. Ward, off I-395 in Alexandria.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
QQQ said:
Mr. Fuel at exit 104 off of I95 south seems to be the cheapest (60mi south of NoVA). (snip)
__. Yeah, the fuel at Exit (I've found the Flying J to be a cent or two cheaper than Mr. Fuel but the stuff is smoky rotgut - Mr. Fuel always ran better for me) 104 to be the best prices around. I travel NoVa to NC two-three times a months. But I was told that that Mr. Fuel station burned to the ground a few weeks ago - apparently the dryer used in the laundry for the trucker's shower towels caught fire and torched the place. They should be rebuilding pretty quickly (and I may have not gotten this story right), but I think it's correct. The LSD from Mr. Fuel was stickered at 45 Cetane and it always ran well; I'm not sure what the cetane is on ULSD now (when they reopen, that is). There's a Petro and Pilot truck stop there, too -- maybe their fuel is OK. It's usually cent or two more than Mr. Fuel was and 2-3 cents more than Flying J, but if it's *any* quality at all, it's worth the extra. Oddly enough, there's a Chevron "ordinary-gas-station" right across the corner from Mr. Fuel, Petro and Pilot and they always had a sign showing diesel fuel about 16-18 cents a gallon more than the price advertised at the truckstops. Dunno if they sold much -- they never sold any to me!!!

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

So wold any of you guys want to do a GTG? Someplace in the middle of all of us? Maybe fredricksburg, VA????????? Maybe we could trade some ideas of things we have done to the cars over Lunch? This way if we had to get back home everyone still could without being to late? I guess this is my way of getting into my car more, since I'm still new at this. Maybe?????????????

If you local guys want to do something I'm up for that also, in fact the meet on Sat at Jenro's had only 1or2 this past weekend. We could use some more of our kind there.

VT-TDI

TDI
2002 GLS 1.9 TDI
Hello all,
02 TDI in Alexandria. However, I work in Germantown, MD. I've seen prices as low as 2.70 but this was at a Hess in Annandale, and it was garbage lol. I think I barely got 35 mpg with that junk in my car. I have been considering hitting up the BioDiesel at the station next to the Pentagon. Anyone ever tried it?

Also, I am always up for a GTG. I have just about finished troubleshooting/repairing everything on my car and would love to compare it to other stocks and vag-com it before I start upgrading.

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

Well I have yet to do any BIO in my car due to the fact that they don't sell it here. Well they do but its to the farmers and the last I checked it was $3.75 a gal?????????? Why bother right!
So how far would that be to drive for you?

snowball

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Red
A Fredericksburg GTG would be great. I could make it to such an event with no problem, as I live in downtown Fredericksburg!

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. I'm hoping to find someone who is familiar with taking the rear brakes apart at ImpexFest next weekend (a faulty wheel speed sensor refuses to come out). But having a second GTG would be great to meet "the locals".

Adam

dieselherb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat black
Adam I'm over south of Port Royal off Rt. 17 south of Rt 301. I work on all my TDIs( 3 Passats 1 Jetta) If you need help you can contact me in the future. Also Mr. Fuel had a fire but it did not close it down. Still pumping fuel!
Herb

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
In Stafford here.

Live in stafford. 3 jetta tdi's have vag com do all my own work. Need to sell 1 wagon and sedan. all 5 speeds. Would love to have a GTG would even consider hosting.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
1963gp said:
Live in stafford. 3 jetta tdi's have vag com do all my own work. Need to sell 1 wagon and sedan. all 5 speeds. Would love to have a GTG would even consider hosting.
You are going to Impexfest this Saturday, aren't you? That's probably the biggest TDI GTG short of TDIFEST.

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
Hi, Unfortunately can't make Impexfest this Saturday due to daughters birthday. Would like to GTG.

QQQ

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I stopped by Mr. Fuel on exit twice this weekend on my trek to see my daughter and back. By far the cheapest I saw from I95 was Mr. Fuel. There were a couple of places that advertised $2.51, $2.53, etc... but Mr. Fuel came in at $2.49/gallon. I also passed by a Sunoco up here in NoVA for $3.02/gallon. ugh.

Sure, I'm up for a GTG. :) I wish I could've attended the Impexfest, I sure could've used RC3 in mine. :eek:)

mrGutWrench said:
__. Yeah, the fuel at Exit (I've found the Flying J to be a cent or two cheaper than Mr. Fuel but the stuff is smoky rotgut - Mr. Fuel always ran better for me) 104 to be the best prices around. I travel NoVa to NC two-three times a months. But I was told that that Mr. Fuel station burned to the ground a few weeks ago - apparently the dryer used in the laundry for the trucker's shower towels caught fire and torched the place. They should be rebuilding pretty quickly (and I may have not gotten this story right), but I think it's correct. The LSD from Mr. Fuel was stickered at 45 Cetane and it always ran well; I'm not sure what the cetane is on ULSD now (when they reopen, that is). There's a Petro and Pilot truck stop there, too -- maybe their fuel is OK. It's usually cent or two more than Mr. Fuel was and 2-3 cents more than Flying J, but if it's *any* quality at all, it's worth the extra. Oddly enough, there's a Chevron "ordinary-gas-station" right across the corner from Mr. Fuel, Petro and Pilot and they always had a sign showing diesel fuel about 16-18 cents a gallon more than the price advertised at the truckstops. Dunno if they sold much -- they never sold any to me!!!

Last edited:

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
Well is anyone up for the weekend after Memorial day (June 3rd) in Fredericsburg? I will be coming back from seeing the family. This was a great place for food and more than enough room for a GTG! I did one with the Diesel Truck guys, they need much more room than we do, maybe???? I may even be able to get a discount????? The guy that was at the meet, well his brother is the owner??? That is just an idea, let me know before I go up. The computer time is limited due to the kids.

Fredericksburg
10117 Southpoint Pkwy
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
www.fostersgrille.com

quadboss74

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, reflex silver
I'm here! I'm here! Unfortunately can't make any GTG in June. I'm working every weekend that month!:eek:

buelldude

TDI
2011 TDI GOLF
?

how about more than that?????????

I guess most of you would rather not????? slackers.