EGR Cleanout

burban864

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997 Blue
Just curious how easy is it to clean out the EGR on my B4? I am going to replace my n75 & hoses this weekend & was thinking about doing that at the same time. Any advice/pics (of dirty vs. cleaned,etc...) would be greatly appreciated.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
I think it has been discussed. Try doing a search if you haven't already. Mine probably needs it too. Checking the EGR setting with Vag-Com is in my future as well. It probably could be recalibrated to minimize clogging.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Thanks, Paramedick! You, and others here, are very helpful. This is a tremendous resource.

Clark

burban864

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997 Blue
Thank you as well, very helpful. Any recommendations/rule of thumb for how often the intake should be cleaned out?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
No real rule of thumb. If you're down on power, or your mpg changes dramatically, you may be a candidate for an intake cleaning.

In the A3/B4 cars, I usually see the worst clogging in the "body" of the intake, near the ports to the head. You can't see this by looking into the intake neck.

In the A4 cars, I usually see the worst clogging in the EGR/antishudder and intake neck. The body usually has some clogging, but not to the degree of the neck.

Y'all know to take the car to 4K RPM at least once a week (preferred daily) to cut down on stuff in the intake? I hold it for 30 seconds or so. AKA the "Italian tuneup". Very important to do to limit intake buildup. My wife relishes this moment every day, as it allows her to attack an Interstate onramp.

I also think a solution to manage oily vapors before they get into the intake tract is necessary. I use the ONCCV, but they are no longer available for the A3/B4 cars. You can make a homemade rig that will at least limit the amount of the vapors.