Lift combination?....

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
I've been trying to get some clearance/lift for my Jetta Wagon.

I have some 25mm EVO shims installed, later I added the towing springs, good in the back but still sagging in the front (even after a spring refresh).

I'm looking at a pair of VR6 springs, claims say a 1" lift over stock. Any thoughts on retaining the lift shims? Is this pushing the front geometry a little too much? After my most recent trip I admit it would be really nice to firm up the front corners a bit....

Thanks

Martin

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I made my own lift kit.... Moog wagon springs in the rear. Stock Springs and struts up front. I got 2" of lift from this setup. Im running 215/75-15 tires. I also have a panzer plate.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Martin,

I recently lifted my Golf and went with Jetta Wagon rear springs and VR6 fronts. I think you going with towing springs probably lifted you to the degree that I was able to using the wagon rear springs. Problem is the front. I did have to add 10mm VW spacers in the front along with the springs to level it out.

I'd measure how far off you are currently and how high you need to get. Use the upper fender wheel lip from ground. If you need to lift more than 2 inches, you'll be pushing your luck on geometry. Also consider your tire specs -- you might gain a smidge there as well.

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Martin,.... If you need to lift more than 2 inches, you'll be pushing your luck on geometry. Also consider your tire specs -- you might gain a smidge there as well.
I think the Econo-refresh that I did last year, did not accomplish much of a refresh over the 25mm lift shims and old springs (I retained the shims with the new refresh).

I then replaced the rears with the towing, wagon version (again retaining the 25mm shims). ... this jacked up the back big time... which I'm happy with.

The new front springs seemed to have no effect on increasing the front over the previously shimmed stock setup and they are quite soft.

Right now, I think the plan is to go for the VR6 springs and either find or machine some 10-15 mm shims and or keep the 25mm shims. I'm getting mixed messages on the VR6 (OEM) total lift, seems to be between 1/2 and 1" . Keeping the 25mm shims will start to push the 2" lift range... or not (Like I said, seems to be some mixed results on the straight VR6 lift numbers).

Don't really want to muck with tires, I want to stay stock. The VR6 should help stiffen what feels like a bit of a soft ride when loaded up.

Thanks for the comments.

Martin

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
I made my own lift kit.... Moog wagon springs in the rear. Stock Springs and struts up front. I got 2" of lift from this setup.
Man, your running AT's !!! ? gives it a real off road look!

How does that thing ride going down the highway? I reserve the AT's for my Suzuki XL7 and and Ford F150 4x4... way heavy duty for the Jetta. Can't imagine throwing the AT's into wet high speed turn on some slippery pavement...

Martin

verboten1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta '02 5 door "20th"
Mine climbed up to this overlook and also towed 2 bikes 1200 miles.

Ride great, handles as well as it used to.

Moog VR6 springs and wagon springs in the rear with Evo lift kit.

215/70 Yokohama GeoLandar ATS

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The rear VW springs I don't like, having a pair built, $262, will give you what you want rather than being stuck between oem options.
Unfortunately none of the oem options I see are capable of improving much how I want, and, I prefer suspension lifts to blocks. They work better that way.
I have the VR6 springs HD Bilstein struts in the front and am going to add 3/4" of spacers as well.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
It handles just fine... No issues on the hwy either. The lower RPM at 70mph feels more relaxed too. And as far as wet traction goes, I dont feel scared or anything. THese tires have a lot of siping and grooves to displace water. I dont race my car or anything :) they do just as well on the jetta as they would on anything else. I feel more control with the grabbers than I did when I had my stock size winter tires on. they were always breaking loose. :/

Man, your running AT's !!! ? gives it a real off road look!
How does that thing ride going down the highway? I reserve the AT's for my Suzuki XL7 and and Ford F150 4x4... way heavy duty for the Jetta. Can't imagine throwing the AT's into wet high speed turn on some slippery pavement...
Martin