www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Motorsports

TDI Motorsports This section is dedicated to the folks who push the TDI to the absolute limit racing. Topics should include articles about TDIs in the SCCA ProRally Series, Drag Racing, AutoCross and any other events that include TDIs.

Old May 9th, 2017, 08:47   #31
Petra's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepner View Post
More or less. It kinda depended on if it was during a set of runs or if it was after a long break. This year I now have a pyrometer and I'm going to try adjusting pressure based on that feedback.
Stephen
Thanks. Looking forward to getting the wagon out (although it looks like a rainy weekend right now).

John
Petra's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 19:35   #32
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Do High Performance Driving Experiences (HPDE) count? If they do, I've done one so far and looking to do more this summer. I attend the HPDE that is offered through http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html the one I went to was at Road America and had a great time even though I was the passenger. I was able to get some video from the track too, so I'll add a link for that.
I ran my Jetta for that event and for the upcoming ones, I'll be using the RTDI that I picked up a couple of years ago and will finally have ready this summer.
Here's a link to that build.http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442967

The Jetta "build thread" http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265112

The videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc-FFUiyXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiztH8626og

If you're in the Mid West I'm planning on being at the July 16th track day for those that may be interested in also attending.
Old May 13th, 2017, 17:35   #33
Petra's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra's cousin View Post
Thanks. Looking forward to getting the wagon out (although it looks like a rainy weekend right now).
John
Two autocross sessions today with 4 runs in each session - started with the tires at 43 front/41 rear (cold) and did the first four runs to get the feel for the car. Bumped them up after lunch, found them running around 45 hot for three of the tires (driver's rear was around 43 and cooler than the other tires), need to run more pressure in the fronts based on the chalking I did, rears were fine.
Loved how well the car rotated with just a rear GTI bar and trail braking, also loved the torque coming out of the corners - it was easy enough to hammer the throttle as soon as I saw my line open up and have the car pull me through.
Had lots of hooting and hollering from the course workers in one section, guess I was lifting the inside tire off the ground (hence the cold driver's rear tire, lots of fast left-handers in today's course). I hope the photographer got some good shots of me with the back wheel in the air, I may just have to pay for one or two of his shots!
Overall, I improved ~3 seconds over the first set, then another 3 seconds on the second set (but there was a minor course change for the second set which made the left-handers much much faster), but still slow as molasses (near the bottom of the RAW times before the novices joined in the afternoon) and there's no point in comparing PAX times as my 235's pushed me into FSP with the 911 near the top of the standings.
All in all, it was great fun. Tomorrow, back in the Miata with my wife where we are only slightly more competitive in STS with a mostly unprepared car. If they end up running autocross into October/November after we put the Miata away, I'll definitely drag my wagon back out again for some more fun.
John
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:51   #34
shepner
Veteran Member

The wheel lift comment above reminded me that a corner worker got a video of me doing that.
On a related note, and if anyone cares to watch, Ive been recording video of my races and posting the best runs on YouTube. I like to think Im improving.
Its interesting how much difference speed and track surface makes for understeer. In the parking lot stuff, the best I can hope for is to make the back end rotate. But with HSAX, the rear doesnt slide all and the front can aggressively turn. That was a tad disconcerting the first time it happened. On the plus side, it got me to stop breaking hard in a turn
stephen
shepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:30   #35
Petra's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepner View Post
The wheel lift comment above reminded me that a corner worker got a video of me doing that.
On a related note, and if anyone cares to watch, Ive been recording video of my races and posting the best runs on YouTube. I like to think Im improving.
Its interesting how much difference speed and track surface makes for understeer. In the parking lot stuff, the best I can hope for is to make the back end rotate. But with HSAX, the rear doesnt slide all and the front can aggressively turn. That was a tad disconcerting the first time it happened. On the plus side, it got me to stop breaking hard in a turn
stephen
Thanks for the video - now think wagon instead of hatch with the back wheel in the air!

Yesterday, there was a civic and a mini doing the three wheel dance - the mini wasn't as consistent with lifting but the old civic hatch on bridgestones was easily lifting all the way around my corner then he actually got the inside wheel to stop rotating during braking into the next fast corner.

First thing i noticed on Saturday was how quiet it was auto crossing our TDI - there is no engine noise feedback like there is in our Miata when you rev it up in second gear. Then yesterday, there was a TDI hatch running in the first run group (while I was working one of the corners) and it was near silent as it went by (one guy asked if it was an electric car!).