Turbo cartridge on vnt turbo

chriz1

TDI
leon cupra fr tdi
I own a 1.7 cdti Vauxhall van,
Recently my turbo has shown signs of failing he start of a siren noise and oil leaking into intercooler pipework confirmed by a garage.
I can get hold of a quality turbo cartridge from an UK company that day it is balanced and ready to fit.
Is this a good idea? As I read conflicting stories saying that they fail or cause boosting issues after a short while, so don’t want to pay labour only for turbo to fail in a few months or less!

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would start with telling about the engine and model of turbo. It will be hard for others to help without more details. You may want to consider going to a larger turbo if you are going through all the trouble. Rebuilding turbos can be hit or miss is what I have gathered in the past.

Ruairí

TDI
Audi A8 3.0 ASB, Audi B5 Avant 1.9q AFN, Seat Leon 1.9 ASV, VW Bora 1.9 ALH auto, Audi A4 B6 Avant Quattro 1.9 AVF, VW Passat 1.9 AVF
If it's a new melett chra I would fit it.

chriz1

TDI
leon cupra fr tdi
It’s not a melett it’s off from these guys http://www.directturbo.co.uk they seem to be selling well with good numbers on eBay.
Hey says there balanced so I’m just wondering is that going to be suitable and reliable to fit to my turbo? I’m reading various things about how a vnt turbo cannot have just it’s cartridge replaced? Or at least won’t last very long

Ruairí

TDI
Audi A8 3.0 ASB, Audi B5 Avant 1.9q AFN, Seat Leon 1.9 ASV, VW Bora 1.9 ALH auto, Audi A4 B6 Avant Quattro 1.9 AVF, VW Passat 1.9 AVF
Well I've had no issues with melett chra's on vnt's. One is fitted to a GT1749VB running 190bhp on an ASV (VE) engine for around 50k miles now... I did have it flow tested on a vane flow rig after fitting to turbo.

The melett cores are more than twice the price of what you've linked though, so I guess what you're looking at is of the Asian variety.

chriz1

TDI
leon cupra fr tdi
I don’t plan to have it flow tested, just for and back on the van. Am I likely to get issues at all with not having it flow tested?

Ruairí

TDI
Well it needs the stop screw and actuator set. If I was you I'd just get a good used turbo. Surely you'd get one for cheaper than a new core and all that goes with it.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
It’s not a melett it’s off from these guys http://www.directturbo.co.uk they seem to be selling well with good numbers on eBay.
Hey says there balanced so I’m just wondering is that going to be suitable and reliable to fit to my turbo? I’m reading various things about how a vnt turbo cannot have just it’s cartridge replaced? Or at least won’t last very long
These are chinese "no name" CHRAs, worth about 15 Dollar, do the math how good the material and machining will be for that price....

I don’t plan to have it flow tested, just for and back on the van. Am I likely to get issues at all with not having it flow tested?
If you don't plan to get it flow tested, put in the chinese CHRA, it doesnt matter then anymore. It will cause issues anyway.