Some Oregonians know how to pump their own gas

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
40 years ago in Ohio we had the option of pulling into Full Service or Self Service. Sometimes it was worth the few extra pennies per gallon to have the windshield cleaned, oil checked and windshield washer fluid topped off by the attendant.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You still can't pump your own gas in New Jersey.
Who cares......I don't. Someone else stands outside and sticks the nozzle in fills it up then takes my money while I sit in a nice warm car.........I would call that service, not a travesty :D I really don't care if I squeeze in the very last drop so I can be totally obsessed with what my fuel mileage is. It is what it is regardless of all that. Pumping your own fuel does not increase that!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Who cares......I don't. Someone else stands outside and sticks the nozzle in fills it up then takes my money while I sit in a nice warm car.........I would call that service, not a travesty :D I really don't care if I squeeze in the very last drop so I can be totally obsessed with what my fuel mileage is. It is what it is regardless of all that. Pumping your own fuel does not increase that!
All valid points and I don't think anyone would disagree that it's more comfortable to sit in the car while someone else handles the details in the rain and snow and -40 wind-chill.

And even though dribbling in the last bit of fuel won't increase the MPG, it will increase the MPT and to some people that seems to be more important than MPG. Personally, I don't care about MPT in day to day driving because my day to day driving is around town so it won't be anything special. But I'm not everyone else so I accept their decisions just as I hope they accept mine.

While I don't care what New Jersey does any more than you do Michael, Tony was replying to Oilhammers comment about weirdos on the west coast, when Jersey has the same no self service law. Or at least they did until a couple years ago when it started to change.

Now my wondering (wandering) mind thinks about how it seems that I have seen an inordinate number of people move to Oregon from New Jersey and I'm wondering if it's because they want to get out of that state and they are afraid of self service. Hmmm maybe THAT'S why Oldpoopie moved here.:D

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
it will increase the MPT and to some people that seems to be more important than MPG.
Those some people gotta get a life, to live in such a small world where the MPT is an important factor in their life is just plain stupid..........there are so many other things that are so much more important than that and then expound how if you can't pump your own fuel your not with the program and then pat themselves on the back and broadcast it here on this forum as if it is the gospel.:eek:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Those some people gotta get a life, to live in such a small world where the MPT is an important factor in their life is just plain stupid..........there are so many other things that are so much more important than that and then expound how if you can't pump your own fuel your not with the program and then pat themselves on the back and broadcast it here on this forum as if it is the gospel.:eek:
To me, this isn't about who is or isn't capable of pumping their own gas, but rather, it's about the snowflakes freaking out about it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Snowflakes are always freaking out about something. Tonight, I glanced haphazardly at Fox news and saw a headline that stated: "Al Gore is proclaiming the recent cold weather is caused by Climate Change!"

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
To me, this isn't about who is or isn't capable of pumping their own gas, but rather, it's about the snowflakes freaking out about it.
What snowflakes are freaking out about it? Besides those on this forum who think that only real guys can pump their own fuel. Talk about control freaks...... nobody should touch my precious car beside me eh?;). If someone were to bag their groceries for them and not do it the way they do it .....well lets come here and complain about how the only person that can do it right is them and then look for support. Yes, I agree that the government should not mandate whether you or not you can pump your own fuel but if they do what real difference does it make? As I related earlier before the cost cutting in the 70's nobody pumped their own fuel and nobody complained about it at that time. They complained after they had no choice but to pump their own. Self-serve was the way of the future to keep costs down and corporate profits up by not having to provide that service to their customers.

aja, what do Al Gore and climate change have to do with this discussion about pumping your own fuel or not in Oregon?

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Self-service was around in the late 1960s. I pumped my own locally at two or three different stations. I recall one of them was totally self-serve (owned by a friend of mine). And, during the summer of 69 I lived and worked in Cincinnati, OH. There were several self-serve stations scattered around the city.

Although there's little doubt going to self-serve helped the bottom line, volume and moving the customers through the pumps greatly improved. I think because of the growing number of cars on the road, it was inevitable self-service would become the norm. However, I do believe some of the stations like to have malfunctioning self-serve pumps to get the customer inside the store to pre-pay and maybe grab a candy bar or soda! ..... heck, anything to increase sales, which is counter productive to those businesses in the states that require attendant pumping only! Hmmm.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Your good really. WD-40 ONLY causes cancer in California. :D
With all due respect, that's where you're wrong...

California causes cancer in California. But the politicians in California being as brain dead as they are, blame it on everything else. You haven't picked up on that yet?

Guns kill people, we gotta make it impossible to use them since we can't outright ban them.

The high speed rail is a great idea. Let's spend all of our money on it. Then we will raise more taxes to pay for the things we defended...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
With all due respect, that's where you're wrong...

California causes cancer in California. But the politicians in California being as brain dead as they are, blame it on everything else. You haven't picked up on that yet?

Guns kill people, we gotta make it impossible to use them since we can't outright ban them.

The high speed rail is a great idea. Let's spend all of our money on it. Then we will raise more taxes to pay for the things we defended...
This post is totally off topic right along with snowflakes and Al Gore:rolleyes:
I don't understand why WD-40 got dragged into it either. Let's throw in high-speed rail and guns while we're at it eh? Please read the title "Some Oregonians know how to pump their own gas" before going off in some crazy tangent about everything that personally bugs you.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
What bugs me is people being bugged by silly threads that get hijacked.:p

Sorry, Michael, I'm just yankin' your chain. This thread kinda morphed into a "crazy west coast people" thread and it's gone uphill since then! Or downhill, depending on your point of view. And it's all ObamaTrumpBushRooseveltLincolnWashingtons fault!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
What bugs me is people being bugged by silly threads that get hijacked.:p

Sorry, Michael, I'm just yankin' your chain. This thread kinda morphed into a "crazy west coast people" thread and it's gone uphill since then! Or downhill, depending on your point of view. And it's all ObamaTrumpBushRooseveltLincolnWashingtons fault!
That's OK sometimes my chain needs a good yank just like my dog. :p But if the posters here want to continue with this nonsense then one of them should start a new topic
"crazy west coast people" that if deemed necessary could include Oregon's change in self-service fueling policy.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Best to keep the nonsense in one thread. Fred and the moderators don't like having a free-for-all in non - TDI related threads unless it's in the regional sections which is where I should have started this one.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
You still can't pump your own gas in New Jersey.
My first job when I was 16 (1987) was convenience store clerk in Delaware. We had a lot of New Jersey tourists heading to our beaches in the summer. It was comical watching them operate the gas pumps. There was usually a conference of individuals stroking their chins and scratching their heads figuring it all out. Often they'd send a person in to ask for help.

My rule was that hot chicks got a demonstration. Everyone else got verbal instructions without me leaving the counter.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My first job when I was 16 (1987) was convenience store clerk in Delaware. We had a lot of New Jersey tourists heading to our beaches in the summer. It was comical watching them operate the gas pumps. There was usually a conference of individuals stroking their chins and scratching their heads figuring it all out. Often they'd send a person in to ask for help.

My rule was that hot chicks got a demonstration. Everyone else got verbal instructions without me leaving the counter.
So you were one of those dorks that many here now complain about not knowing what the chemistry of the fuel is that your company is selling when they ask the attendant. When the gas stations switched to self-serve in the mid 70's I was one of those stroking my chin and scratching my head as we never had to pump my own. I hope you are more helpful to people now not just hot chicks. Not just at the pump but in all walks of life.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
So you were one of those dorks that many here now complain about not knowing what the chemistry of the fuel is that your company was selling when they ask the attendant. When the gas stations switched to self-serve in the mid 70's I was one of those stroking my chin and scratching my head as we never had to pump my own. I hope you are more helpful to people now not just hot chicks. Not just at the pump but in all walks of life.
Jesus, man, lighten up. :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Best to keep the nonsense in one thread. Fred and the moderators don't like having a free-for-all in non - TDI related threads unless it's in the regional sections which is where I should have started this one.
Hey Tim, the mods and Fred are not as active these days so a thread like this can ramble on unless it gets under some people's skin and gets reported. Given what was going on in the old "dieselgate" thread a couple of years ago, this one is like vanilla pudding in comparison. :D

Dilley Dilley!:)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, it's couldn't care less. To say theycould care less implies that they care a little bit.

Cool! Now it's a grammer lesson. Shall we try speeling and typos next?

So any stupid Oregonian memes?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So you were one of those dorks that many here now complain about not knowing what the chemistry of the fuel is that your company is selling when they ask the attendant. When the gas stations switched to self-serve in the mid 70's I was one of those stroking my chin and scratching my head as we never had to pump my own. I hope you are more helpful to people now not just hot chicks. Not just at the pump but in all walks of life.
Your sarcasm and irony detector has been off. Ease up, you’ll live longer.
Actually, it's couldn't care less. To say theycould care less implies that they care a little bit.
Cool! Now it's a grammer tlesson. Shall we try speeling and typos next?
So any stupid Oregonian memes?
Speeling next please :) , typo class later.
See, sarcasm and irony.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The filler location is pretty well standard now, either the left or right rear fender.

In years gone by that was not the case. Example on a 1956 Chevy you had to turn a little toggle in the left tail light and then flip the tail light down to get at the filler.

Then later GM decided to put the filler behind the rear licence plate which you had to flip down.

The old beetles had their tank under the hood which you had to open to get at it.

I'm sure that there were other oddities, hence people not used to fill their own not knowing where the filler was located!!!

Now having said that, where I live it is almost all self-serve except at any no-name stations where they have an attendant. Strangely enough their fuel is cheaper than the name brands.

Last edited:

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
The filler location is pretty well standard now, either the left or right rear fender.

Now having said that, where I live it is almost all self-serve except at any no-name stations where they have an attendant. Strangely enough their fuel is cheaper than the name brands.
I'm sure those no name stations are not selling Top Tier Fuels. Google that ! Who knows what kind of Wombat Urine they are dispensing as fuel.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yep, that’s where it was on my first car (‘81 Monte Carlo). It was very convenient in that it didn’t matter what side of the pump you pulled up to.
I really liked the hideaway filler on my '87 Monte Carlo. The coolest hidden filler was on the '56 Chevy Bel Air- behind the driver side tail light.