Any idea whose skid plate this is?

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
Purchased it 3rd hand from a seller who knew nothing about it.

It came with two pieces of square tubing with belts welded on one end, and nuts welded into washers on the other.

Plate is steel. And freaking heavy

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sounds like one of Mike's defender tech plates for a MK4. Pictures?

Is it Galvanized or Painted black - Mike had early Black ones, but the majority were galvanized. Nice heavy plate.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yep, that's definitely a Defender Tech MK4 skid plate. To mount it you will need 5 rivnuts with the same thread as the posts, and 5 bolts with washers. The rivnuts go into existing holes in the bumper horns and subframe, no drilling required - but if you have access to a welder I recommend tacking the rivnuts to the frame because they have a tendency to break loose and just spin. Definitely use plenty of anti seize on the bolts.
Simon

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn, the thing was supposed to come with 5 posts? It only came with 2. Lol, luckily I can fab them up at work

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yep, that's definitely a Defender Tech MK4 skid plate. To mount it you will need 5 rivnuts with the same thread as the posts, and 5 bolts with washers. The rivnuts go into existing holes in the bumper horns and subframe, no drilling required - but if you have access to a welder I recommend tacking the rivnuts to the frame because they have a tendency to break loose and just spin. Definitely use plenty of anti seize on the bolts.
Simon
^recommend. I tacked the rivnuts on my MK4 to make sure they would not spin - never had an issue.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone have the original instructions so I dont have to guess as to which holes use rivnuts? What size rivnuts?

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Does anyone have the original instructions so I dont have to guess as to which holes use rivnuts? What size rivnuts?
Perjad sells the defender plates now. Also sells the hardware separately. I just bought the rivnuts/washers/bolts for $30. Got my hands on OmegaRenegade 's old plate. He signed it too! A Tdiclub ontario legend, as the street car dyno champ.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Perjad sells the defender plates now. Also sells the hardware separately. I just bought the rivnuts/washers/bolts for $30. Got my hands on OmegaRenegade 's old plate. He signed it too! A Tdiclub ontario legend, as the street car dyno champ.
Lol! The Good ole days

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Unless their policy has changed recently, they don't ship to individuals in Canada. Company orders no problem, I'll be in touch if I need something :)

Simon