2016 A7 TDI story & future

pashman

TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI Prestige Havanna Black
I've done a bit of research here at TDI Club and I'm still trying to find out some more info. I figured this may be an interesting place to share my story and history with TDIs.

In July of 2001 I purchased a VW Golf TDI and it lasted until Christmas day of 2016. I spent the next month seeing what was out there in the TDI "world" as we enjoyed our Golf for many years and obviously are people who stick with a car for a while! My wife for recent years had really loved the A7's mix of sportiness and practicality (we like hatchbacks) and of course the TDI version with its 38mpg (YMMV of course!). On first look it was hard to get hold of this car for the obvious reasons of the scandal but a few weeks later...

While poking around CarGurus.com (and another site) I found a pretty heavily discounted fully loaded (Prestige) 2016 A7 in Havanna Black TDI in another state. This nearly $80,000 car (new) was selling for around $65,000 from the Audi dealership and with around 600 miles on it. Turns out the original owner bought it in late '15 right before the scandal news broke, panicked and exchanged it for the same car but a gasser. This traded in car had the afformentioned 600 miles on it and sat there for a year at the dealership (I'm assuming) awaiting its release from automotive purgatory.

I believe in December of 2016 the 3.0's were then allowed to be sold (non-CPO) and by January 2017 it was put on the market, I found it and bought it. My wife and I are a little crazy so we actually drove it across the country rather than have it transported by a company. Actually ended up to be cheaper but I digress.

So now I've been offered the "fix" where VW gives me $10,876.74 to bring my car to be made "legal" and that money pays for the fix with nothing left over I assume for my "troubles".

A few questions:

1. I'm almost about to pull the trigger on this and have sent in my notarized acceptance of this offer. Is everyone doing this or do I keep my A7 "as is" and wait for a more...litigous route or some other option?

2. My local Audi dealership's tech consultant made a comment like I had a unicorn or something like that. Is my 2016 A7 TDI so..."rare"?

3. Has anyone had the 3.0 TDI fix yet that can speak to how it has affected mileage and performance?

4. So, do you think this was a "good deal" and/or a "good decision" on my part? Be kind, but be truthful either way. I'm not looking for confirmation bias or whatever.

One last bit of info. Assume I will be keeping this car for a long time. We're not "worried" about selling it.

Thanks for listening! :)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
So now I've been offered the "fix" where VW gives me $10,876.74 to bring my car to be made "legal" and that money pays for the fix with nothing left over I assume for my "troubles".
No, you're completely misunderstanding this. The $10k is for your "trouble"; there's no charge at all for the fix.

1. I'm almost about to pull the trigger on this and have sent in my notarized acceptance of this offer. Is everyone doing this or do I keep my A7 "as is" and wait for a more...litigous route or some other option?
You've long since passed the deadline to opt out of the class action, so your options are to take the fix and the money, or do nothing.

3. Has anyone had the 3.0 TDI fix yet that can speak to how it has affected mileage and performance?
There's no fix yet for the passenger car 3.0 TDIs (it will probably be announced later this month), but a few people have posted their experiences with a 3.0 fix here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483472

4. So, do you think this was a "good deal" and/or a "good decision" on my part? Be kind, but be truthful either way. I'm not looking for confirmation bias or whatever.
Even in the worst case (i.e., what @MBQ describes in the thread I just linked), I'd think the loss in driveability is more than covered by the payment.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
You got a very good deal, essentially 55k for a like new A7 in January. Unicorn is a slight exaggeration, but there aren’t many around.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Good deal on a great car. Enjoy it for a couple of years before selling it back (if we're very lucky) or going for the fix. It's definitely better now than after it's neutered. I'm waiting until the last minute for mine.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Hello where in NJ are you located. I have a tornado grey premium plus 2016 A7. Have you gotten the fix yet, I haven't seen any comments about the A7 fix.