Why is there no bridge warranty for Gen 1 3.0L?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Does anyone know why is there no bridge warranty for Gen one 3.0L? I know I can do a buyback, but want to drive the car for another year before giving it back.

*QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED, THANKS!*

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Because you have a remedy immediately (the buyback). The (presumed, under the circumstances) purpose of the bridge warranty is to protect owners of the Gen2 TDIs who didn't (and still don't, in some cases) have any remedy available for several months.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Free Adblue & oil change for once. That's it.

Why? Go ask the PSC lawyers.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Why should you get one? You want VWAG to pay your costs of ownership and then to also buy back your car at an inflated price? From the EPA’s point of view, the dirty car should be gotten off the road, the sooner the better. If you delay, there should be some risk to you.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Because you have a remedy immediately (the buyback). The (presumed, under the circumstances) purpose of the bridge warranty is to protect owners of the Gen2 TDIs who didn't (and still don't, in some cases) have any remedy available for several months.
Thats what I thought, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Why should you get one? You want VWAG to pay your costs of ownership and then to also buy back your car at an inflated price? From the EPA’s point of view, the dirty car should be gotten off the road, the sooner the better. If you delay, there should be some risk to you.
Because I am milking this settlement for every penny that I can, thats why.

My question has been answered. Thanks everyone!

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
VW keeps stringing us along with the potential for a "reduced emissions modification".
Thus, not everybody's in a hurry to opt for the buyback.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The remedy (buyback) is nevertheless available to you. If you choose to not exercise it immediately then the risk associated with that choice is on you. This is the encouragement to get the vehicles off the road, which is the EPA's intent.

Gen 2 never had the buyback option, the plan was always to fix them, but the fix was not available immediately, so those owners did not have an immediate remedy.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
yeah, I get it. I just wish VW would offer a definitive statement on a potential fix for the gen one. I'm probably just going to keep mine up until the HPFP warranty expires at 120k miles, unless a fix gets approved that extends that warranty.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Bridges have a starting point and an ending point. There is no approved repair, nor is it likely that there will be one. VW would be insane to offer a Full warranty on a group of vehicles that could be nearing 9 model years old.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
VW keeps stringing us along with the potential for a "reduced emissions modification".
Thus, not everybody's in a hurry to opt for the buyback.
This. For one, I'm content to be strung along for now.

If they don't come up with a mod for the Gen 1 3.0s, my plan is to wait until the end is near, take the buyback if no mod becomes available, and upgrade a few model years with money in the bank. Love my '11 T-Reg Exec... only things I want to gain are Area View ('14+ Execs) and maybe cooled seats ('15+).