Restitution payment after purchase of fixed used 2015?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
titles via carfax are very very laggy. Ask the dealership they should know, but I think the only really way is to expect the worse and hope for the best. Some of these recent buybacks prob are able to flip right at the dealer, now a fixed is announced.

Thanks for clarifying Auburn Hill.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Please do a little research before posting ignorant comments.
The original owner could not have possibly received the full amount because VW does not have the second stage of the fix available yet.
2015 models require a 2 step process to be brought into compliance, and the owners are only entitled to 2/3 of the restitution amount upon completing the first stage, and the last 1/3 upon completion of the final stage (which is not available at this time).
Or REALLY?

Please learn to math and put brain before mouth. Ignorant Lol.
The buyback IS the full amount. Car bought back, owner gets all of the money at once. Fix, 2/3 1/3. Used cars being sold by dealers have stage one done. They have ALREADY BEEN BOUGHT BACK. Thus, the full restitution has been paid.

Entitled much?

So much more I'd love to say to your 'ignorant' comment. But, I'll just sit back and smile as you look stupid.

Borsig

TDI
This makes sense. Thanks, 740GLE.

It brings up a question though. I'm looking to buy a used 2015 TDI. How would I, as a buyer, know for a particular used car on a dealer lot, which of the two scenarios it falls into before buying it?

Can it be found in CarFax? If there is a title to VWOA in Auburn Hill, MI (that is the only location I've ever seen when VWOA takes ownership), some used 2015 TDI's show up with this in CarFax. Other used 2015 TDI's don't show a title transfer at all. Is that how one can tell the difference?
Buybacks are, as far as I can tell, all bought back, titled in Michigan, then sold at auction (vw dealers get dibs) I'd assume no one is trading in half fixed cars. If they did, it would not pass thru Michigan then auction

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Buybacks are, as far as I can tell, all bought back, titled in Michigan, then sold at auction (vw dealers get dibs) I'd assume no one is trading in half fixed cars. If they did, it would not pass thru Michigan then auction
I wouldn't assume that. An owner getting Phase 1 done gets 2/3rds of restitution only. Owner decides to part with vehicle, doesn't matter why, and trades it in (probably should not call this scenario a buy-back). Dealer then offers this vehicle for sale. I would assume this scenario is very possible, as the original owner may get less on trade than the VW buy-back, but the original owner also got 2/3rds of the restitution earlier, so it may be pretty close to neutral to the original owner.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't assume that. An owner getting Phase 1 done gets 2/3rds of restitution only. Owner decides to part with vehicle, doesn't matter why, and trades it in (probably should not call this scenario a buy-back). Dealer then offers this vehicle for sale. I would assume this scenario is very possible, as the original owner may get less on trade than the VW buy-back, but the original owner also got 2/3rds of the restitution earlier, so it may be pretty close to neutral to the original owner.

you mean, my option B?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All depends, only the '15s require two step fix process. Gen 1 and 2 I believe are one step process.

I don't believe any '15 car has phase 2 performed, I could be wrong thou.

Borsig

TDI

What I am saying is, on the carfax, you can see ALL buybacks go thru michigan and get titled there. Its a very high probability that a car bought and registered in say, Virginia, that was then titled to manufacturer in MI, then sold at auction is a buyback.

A car listed for sale that has never seen a michigan title registration or auction, but only 'vehcile sold or traded' is a partial fix, if it's vin is in the registry as having phase one.

However -
If you are buying a car based on this criteria, or expecting it, you're probably looking at the wrong car. It's going to be a frustrating experience trying to navigate the status of the car, and if you will receive the last 1/3 of the payout.

Either you want it or you dont. Frankly I paid 16,700 for a CPO with 20K miles on it (Golf SE with lighting pack, 2015) that looked minty. That was a 28-29K MSRP car two years ago, that likely sold for about 26,500. Its a stellar deal, is a blast to drive, looks great, has a bumper to bumper for 60K, and the settlement warranty to 162K. If, thats not enough, youre probably looking at the wrong car, man.

Borsig

TDI
All depends, only the '15s require two step fix process. Gen 1 and 2 I believe are one step process.

I don't believe any '15 car has phase 2 performed, I could be wrong thou.

Phase 2 is not available yet, Spring 2018

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What I am saying is, on the carfax, you can see ALL buybacks go thru michigan and get titled there. Its a very high probability that a car bought and registered in say, Virginia, that was then titled to manufacturer in MI, then sold at auction is a buyback.

A car listed for sale that has never seen a michigan title registration or auction, but only 'vehcile sold or traded' is a partial fix, if it's vin is in the registry as having phase one.

However -
If you are buying a car based on this criteria, or expecting it, you're probably looking at the wrong car. It's going to be a frustrating experience trying to navigate the status of the car, and if you will receive the last 1/3 of the payout.

Either you want it or you dont. Frankly I paid 16,700 for a CPO with 20K miles on it (Golf SE with lighting pack, 2015) that looked minty. That was a 28-29K MSRP car two years ago, that likely sold for about 26,500. Its a stellar deal, is a blast to drive, looks great, has a bumper to bumper for 60K, and the settlement warranty to 162K. If, thats not enough, youre probably looking at the wrong car, man.
Here is my perspective. I want to purchase a 2015 TDI. If I find several that I would consider as near equal, but find one that would provide a 1/3rd restitution payment (that would be worth at least $2,000), should I not consider that in my choice process? I think most would, and I will. It's not a choice of if to buy or not, its a tie-breaker for me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make any decision you want, everyone navigates car buying different. Just don't have the wool pulled over your eyes by a dealer looking to flip the sale, only to be let down.

Any car purchase I've made wasn't made on $2,000 possibility, sadly IMO with record keeping being so laggy that's all it is, a possibility.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Points from Borsig and 740GLE well taken!

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI

However -

Same here. Just bought a 15 SEL sportwagon. 23k miles, CPO for 21k. I did fill out my info in the VW portal and it said eligible for about 2k in restitutuion. Whether I get it or not is a different story. Either way, I didn't buy the car counting on that, but if it comes, then it just makes the deal sweeter.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Or REALLY?
Please learn to math and put brain before mouth. Ignorant Lol.
The buyback IS the full amount. Car bought back, owner gets all of the money at once. Fix, 2/3 1/3. Used cars being sold by dealers have stage one done. They have ALREADY BEEN BOUGHT BACK. Thus, the full restitution has been paid.
Entitled much?
So much more I'd love to say to your 'ignorant' comment. But, I'll just sit back and smile as you look stupid.
Where does this thread mention buyback cars?
You might want to look at the title of this thread before assuming that all fixed 2015 TDI's have been through a buyback.

This thread does not address used 2015's being sold by dealers.

Your wise opinion would be better served in a thread addressing purchases of used 2015 buyback TDI's, such as this one, ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

I believe you may be lost in the wrong thread, and I'm starting to question who really is"Ignorant, Entitled, or Stupid"?

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
All? No.

Just the majority. As in like 98% plus with a high probability, according to the empirical data.

But by all means, keep digging, slick. LOL.

Please show me on on cars.com that's not been bought back, and has phase one done. And for that one (if you find it) I'll show you a hundred that are buybacks and fixed. I've been down this road already.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay I have read through the comments again, and I'll admit that I may have misunderstood which scenario your reply was addressed to..

You are absolutely correct in the case of a 2015 sold by a VW dealer.

However, in the case of a 2015 that was never bought back, and received the stage 1 fix, the new owner is still elligible for the last 1/3 of the restitution amount.

To address listings for sale, I guess it depends where you look.
I rarely shop VW dealer inventory because I'm more of a used private party guy, but I've found plenty of for sale listings of 2015 models that received stage 1, and were never in the buyback.

All 2015's that I've seen for sale in non VW car lots have had stage 1 of the fix without being in the buyback.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
Be careful with that assumption.

If it was titled in Michigan, and sold at auction, it's a buyback. Unless it's a Michigan car.

There are 4 at non vw dealers within 100 miles of me. Every one of them has passed thru Michigan then an auction house. Those are buybacks. They hit the auction lane after being fixed.

VW dealers get first dibs. If no vw dealer buys them, they go to open lane.

Be weary of any on indy lots. Vehicles dealers probably passed on it for a reason. Mine looks like a new car, had 20k on it, and was a cpo.

Last edited:

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
You're assumption, that cars that had a Michigan title in recent history, were likely part of the buyback is correct IMO.

It takes a lot research to confirm if a car was brought in for the step 1 modification by the original owner, and not a actually bought back by VW.

With that said, the safest bet if your looking to buy a 2015 tdi is to plan on getting nothing down the road, and just buy the car that you like.
You could be pleasantly surprised down the road if it was not part of the buyback, but it's not a huge amount of money when your only talking about 1/3 of the restitution amount.

Spudnik

TDI
'15 Passat SEL, '13 Passat SEL
I hadn't considered that my TDI could have been a buyback. Makes sense that would complete VW's litigation obligation. Would be helpful if the denial email explained more than just stating DENIED...

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Ditto on the denial, "Vehicle not eligible" is the official wording. No surprise and I was not expecting anything. Mine was purchased from a independent dealer so there was some hope.

They made me submit documents 3 times and wait 6 weeks to get this result....

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
You probably will not get Phase I money (2/3 of the VW money). However, WHEN you DO the Phase II fix, you should get that money (1/3 of the VW money). No PHase II - no money.
just heard back that my claim is "ineligible" - as it should be really, for the Phase 1 restitution... will have to wait and see about Phase II. no way am i taking it in for nuthin'.
oh well - was worth a shot.

Borsig

TDI
I bought a buyback. Not sure if that means I am or not

orlando

TDI
2013 JSW & 2015 Golf (Formerly: 2000 JSW)
Be wary of any on indy lots. Vehicles dealers probably passed on it for a reason.
Borsig, do you think this is true also of reputable dealers who are not VW dealers? I'm looking at two 2015 TDIs offered by local Toyota and Jeep dealers. According to Carfax, both are buybacks sold at auction; one passed through a VW dealer for a couple days on the way to the current Jeep dealer, and the other went straight from auction to the Toyota dealer without a VW dealer being involved.

I'm not sure whether to trust the answer or not, but here is part of a chat I had on the settlement web site (this clarification came after she explained that used 2015s purchased from a VW dealer are not eligible for additional restitution after the second stage of the fix, ones purchased from a private party are):
Me:
[FONT=&quot]==> Clarification: the dealers selling these turned-in 2015s are not VW dealers but (according to the CARFAX reports) bought the cars at auction after the cars had been sold back to VW. Would these cars, like ones sold by VW dealers, be ineligible for restitution? So there is nothing to prevent me from simply skipping the second stage of the fix?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rachel @ 11/17/17 12:17 PM : [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]==> If you purchased from a non-VW dealership then you can create a claim.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
Not sure how that makes sense.

As to where to buy one? I'd look at each individual car on it's merits. Non VW OEM dealers (like a toyota dealer) buying a TDi seems odd.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I am in a similar situation. I am buying a 2015 Passat TDI CPO from a dealer tomorrow. The car was a buyback out of CA then titled in Michigan, now for sale. The car in service date is 11/25/2014, so the standard 3/36 is up this week. They told me on the phone that the warranty is as follows, all from the current 26K miles on the car.

2 year 24K mile bumper to bumper CPO
5 year 60K mile powertrain (said specific to TDI cars)
11 year 162K mile emissions warranty (as detailed in other threads)

I have no idea if there will be anything available for the phase 2 emissions fix, but when I checked the vin in the portal it confirmed that the car was an eligible vin. I’m guessing that since it was a buyback there won’t be any money.

orlando

TDI
Not sure how that makes sense.

As to where to buy one? I'd look at each individual car on it's merits. Non VW OEM dealers (like a toyota dealer) buying a TDi seems odd.
Turns out several non-VW dealers are offering BB 2015 TDIs for sale (Jeep, Toyota, Nissan), and in talking to a couple salespeople I've learned that they all came through the same large dealer who acts as a wholesaler for other used lots. This wholesaler is also a dealer for VW (as well as many other makes) and apparently grabbed a handful of the TDIs back in September and then sold them to other dealers around town. One salesperson mentioned he buys all makes of cars from this wholesaler to increase his used-car inventory.

So now I just have to figure out the current value or fair price of 2015 GSW SEL automatics! KBB and Nada seem useless; all of these are already priced $19-20.5K, below blue book values (at 18-28K miles). One or two have been sitting on the dealers' lots since September. Any advice on figuring out how to value them?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I bought a used 2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual buy-back car last month with ~29.6k miles on it from a VW dealer.

I plugged the VIN into the VIN look-up portal. It verified the date of the phase-1 update and that I am eligible for around ~$2,500 restitution.

I have my paperwork ready to go and I'm going to FAX it in in a few days.

:)

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought a used 2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual buy-back car last month with ~29.6k miles on it from a VW dealer.

I plugged the VIN into the VIN look-up portal. It verified the date of the phase-1 update and that I am eligible for around ~$2,500 restitution.

I have my paperwork ready to go and I'm going to FAX it in in a few days.

What is the web address for the VIN look-up portal you used? I’m not aware of such a portal.

Last edited by a moderator:

orlando

TDI
What is the web address for the VIN look-up portal you used? I’m not aware of such a portal.
I assume BKmetz is referring to the actual claims site, where you begin a claim by entering a VIN and it tells you the status of the vehicle (e.g., when the first phase of the emissions fix was completed and what compensation is available). Some in this forum are reporting that the site's initial assessment is not entirely reliable, i.e. it says a claim is available but later the claim is not verified.
https://claims.vwgoa.com/

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
You need to check your car out on two different places.

First go here https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/ click the 2.0l link and click the 'Look Up Recalls' button. Enter your VIN and you should see something like this. This gives you some of the basic information of what was done to your car

Then go the VW Claims portal https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/ and register your car and start a claim. Somewhere in the registration process you should get a page stating if you qualify for a reward and how much. Here is a scan of my reward.

I printed off this page and will include it in my paperwork that I am going to FAX to the VW claims portal. If you try to complete your claim online there is no upload for this document.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited: