miss the old search engine here

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
I tried to do a search and with the new google method reqiered now.. its a pain and slower than ever ..why do we have to type in the 2 words (that are difficult to read sometimes) it makes looking for info much more cumbersome.. nothing to do with this site , but vw vortex is not as quick or easy either.
anyone else wondering the same? Id like to here your opinions.:(

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The google search is optional and the built in search is still the main way to seach. If you are talking about the Captcha (two words) my first question is are you logged in when searching. This bypasses that requirement.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
The built in search works when Im logged in only ,,unlike before. The new set up (not logged in) is going thru the Captcha (two words) way. This must be a way for Google to know when your on or even searching. It seems slow, like a cookie is tracking your browsing not like the previous simple non logged searching.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The captcha is enabled to prevent 'bots' from bombarding the forums with searches. The default search uses the database and not Google. The Google option is just the result of requests from users.

However, my biggest question is why not log in?

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont know ...just another thing to do , I like to navigate quick sometimes and key-ing in is another minor process. The old default search suited me better, no big deal though..were alot of bots' affecting Freds? Im not really computer savy, just manage
to do what I do online. Thanks Derf.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I can imagine there would be tons of bots scouring fred's forums... captcha helps reduce this significantly.