Dog containment in car.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I've tried searching but nothing dog, as in canine, comes up. I just got a full dog proofing seat cover. Has anyone found anything short of the full floor to ceiling cage style to keep my buddy from coming into the front of the car? I need something that will block him between the seats that he can't destroy. When I read the reviews of everything I've found so far, they basically say that a young, thick skulled lab will be able to bust through it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Get a Golf and put the back seats down, or leash him in the back to
one of the seatbelt points. Hard with an energetic youngster lab.
He might learn eventually.
Good luck!

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
That's funny! I had a 2005 Golf TDI and found it to be the perfect dog car. Leave the back seat up and the headrests kept the dog in the back, plus he only had licking access to one window. Had the Golf parked next to the Passat that I bought last week been the same color, I would have brought it home instead. I live on a private gravel road and the dark blue would drive me nuts. I forget what the color of the Passat is called but it is kind of gold. I call it "Metallic Dirt".

I found some sort of cage like contraption that secures to the headrest posts at Petco yesterday. I'll try to find time to try it out today.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I have a smaller dog in a crate in the back seat. If I had a lab or similar in size it would travel in a crate/cage in the trunk, but the passat maybe is a sedan?

It's safer for the dog to be in a crate in case of an accident. Or maybe in a harness that's fastened to the seat belt.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
My golden stays put in the back seat in the hammock seat cover.

Too bad, a crate is probably too large for the door opening.
I found a barrier that attaches to the headrest posts. Kind of looks like a police car cage. Of course the bozo immediately slipped under it into the front seat. I have the hammock style on the way, which I believe also connects to the headrest posts. Hopefully that will close up that hole between the seats.

I actually used to use a large crate in my 05 Passat. I'm pretty sure the 2015 has a significantly larger door opening that the 2005. I just don't want to go that route this time. I need to loosen up on my OCD a bit. The windows are tinted so the lick marks can't be seen from the outside. I might even lift the "No eating in the car" rule.