Wipers won't park

alally

TDI
2000 Golf Automatic
I saw this issue in another thread, but now I can't find it, so I'll start another one. This isn't a question, but my idea of a work-around.

Suddenly, when I tried turning off the wipers on my 2000 Golf TDI with 214000 miles (about the time these silly little problems seem to start springing up), they wouldn't just come to rest at the base of the windshield, but went on for awhile, finally coming rest in a random place on the windshield.

I have come to my own version of a resolution, after making these observations (occupying myself during my 2 hour commutes):

1.) After turning off the wipers, I counted exactly 9 swipes across the windshield before coming to rest any old where on the windshield. Not 8, not 10, but invariably 9 back-and-forth swipes, then stop.

2. When I hit the wiper switch, they would do their 9-swipe routine, then again come to a stop at whatever random place it found itself. If I did this 3-5 times, eventually they would come to a rest where they are supposed to. Then, in my the-roof-stopped-leaking-because-it-isn't-raining-anymore mindset, the problem was over.

If it ever morphs into something more serious (or annoying), I'll probably look into changing out the relay, but until then, I'll hang onto the $40-$75, or whatever they go for.

I hope this is helpful or at least semi-interesting for someone.