Carbon Build Up

watchingcrow

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Hello
A long time member trying to guide me with Overboost asked if i had checked for Carbon Build up on my Intake Manifold. I started to do that and got stymied after getting to the EGR, I took off the Hose connected to that and saw inside that EGR, that little Flange Flapper thing moves freely and there is only a light coating of a black oil like substance on the inside surface. To go further is going to take some really manic work - WHICH I AM GLAD TO DO IF THAT IS WHAT I MUST.
The question is: If the inside of the EGR is free of Carbon, doesn't that indicate that the manifold is also likely to be clean?

Thoughts please, please help.

Michael Patrick:confused:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Its only 3 5mm head bolts iirc to remove the egr valve. Usually, there is a larger layer built up inside the intake manifold behind the egr valve

watchingcrow

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
EGR/Manifold

Its only 3 5mm head bolts iirc to remove the egr valve. Usually, there is a larger layer built up inside the intake manifold behind the egr valve
It is true there are but three, i easily removed the two on the top, but number 3 on the inside (towards the cabin) is nearly impossible to get at. I cannot imagine what tool would fit in that tiny area.
So would have to remove a few things around it to just see it.
But, I guess what you are saying is that just because the EGR is clean, does not mean that the manifold would be too.
Thanks.
Geeze what is it with MFG'rs hide one of the bolts behind a wall of impossibility?

Thanks

Michael Patrick:(

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
With the 2 easy bolts out, rotate the whole valve towards the firewall, and try and hold your finger on the last bolt. Once your finger is on the bolt, rotate the valve the other way towards the radiator. That should break it free just enough. And fyi, a ball head 5mm allen socket, or allen wrench works there.