Stealth sub for 2015 golf

Chillin1977

TDI
02 VW Golf 1.9l TDI
Just picked up my new to me 2015 golf and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a good sub that doesn't effect the space if the hatch. I have to haul stuff for work so I need the room but also like some punch.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
OEM solution is the Helix soundbox system which adds a pair of 6 (or 6.5) inch subs under the hatch floor (in the upper position) while retaining the spare.

Instructions for keeping the spare here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31070
Not sure if it's okay to link but want to give proper credit, I'll remove it the link right away if requested.

The Helix also gives you amplification for your speakers with DSP programmed specifically for the car (with a dongle which can be rented or done at the dealership, likely at an arbitrary price of their choosing). Whole thing is OEM, plug and play. Will run you about $500 if you install it yourself. People report it only takes a couple hours, videos available on YouTube.

There are other solutions if you're okay with building your own box, know someone who can or don't mind paying a bit of money. These options are a bit more expensive but can give you more (and deeper) bass. I don't know what you're looking for but the stock system rolls off below 40hz (to protect the stock speakers). The Helix doesn't change this, hence the small subs, but putting them in a box, feeding them decent power and only tasking them with bass duty let's them do a pretty decent job.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Chillin1977

TDI
02 VW Golf 1.9l TDI
Thanks for the reply and good info. I'll check this out. I might end up seeing if I can get a box made as I might want some more punch than a 6.5 .

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You would be surprised at the punch a properly designed sub can have even with a small driver. Unless you need people in the next county to hear you coming, that unit should be sufficient. I'm quite happy with the stock sub that came with the Fender system in our wagon after I stuffed it with some polyester batting to tame the booming. The sound is tight and solid.

Last edited:

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I built a custom thin box that sits above the tire well and underneath the floor in the included space. It houses a 15in fosgate sub. I'm only pushing 200watts to it. Stealth. Pictures if I get time. Sounds good, I don't get it very loud, just wanted some depth. It will probably distort if I push it hard

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Another option here, not my work in any way but the OP in this thread shared dimensions for their box. Also shares their wiring, although they have Fender audio so you would be tapping into the speaker out from the head unit and not the Fender amp but otherwise it's all the same.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6977

I will be spending tomorrow morning installing the Helix Soundbox in my car while my wife is at work. I have my own sub and a box from http://www.uberstealthaudio.com. You provide the mounting specs for your sub when you order, owner builds to that spec. I'll be using the LC2i as in they linked thread, tapped into subwoofer out from the Helix.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk