Removing Car Net System, Physically

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
This guide details removing the instrument cluster and pulling the box that controls the Car Net system out that is behind it, for those of you that wish to mentally entertain this. I do not endorse doing this, as you will likely void a whole bunch of stuff with your warranty.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9618

It was pretty easy to do, though, and now I don't have to wear tinfoil while I drive my car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd still stick to the tinfoil hat.

I'm surprised it isn't just a fuse you could pull.

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
Would it be possible to install something like this in a Mk5? 06 Jetta

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
seeing it seems to connect via can bus, prob not.

What would you be trying to gain? the "on star" type service? If so you can buy "on star" aftermarket units, that should would be cheaper.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
This has been on my to do list for some time, finally did it last night.

Here is a much longer thread with a few good pictures and info scattered in it.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...nside-it-and-how-to-repurpose-the-buttons-too

The whole thing is not that hard to do.
Pulling the center dash with vents included is one improvement to the original instructions. The trim shouldn't be removed from the vents.
To make pulling the center vents easier first pluck out the hazard and airbag warning light unit and unplug, easy to grip it or with fingernails under the edges, it's not snapped in tight.
Then reach fingers in to help pry/pull the vents out (after first unsnapping the lower half of the trim).

My dash took a lot of force to pop out, it is only 2 screws and 4 clips, one each corner, but they were real tight!

For more reading on the subject here's a news article.
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160809-your-car-is-not-your-friend
VW can and will disable Car Net, so not having it shouldn't be a warranty issue.
Quote from VW from the article.
VW has "...the capability to completely sever the connection from the car to the cellular network. The customer would have to bring their vehicle to the dealer where it would be put into 'flight mode'. The result is the same as if the module were removed from the vehicle."

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Quote from VW from the article.
VW has "...the capability to completely sever the connection from the car to the cellular network. The customer would have to bring their vehicle to the dealer where it would be put into 'flight mode'. The result is the same as if the module were removed from the vehicle."

I'll have to translate 'flight mode' into German and look through adaptation maps to see if this can be done with VCDS. Interesting find.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'll have to translate 'flight mode' into German and look through adaptation maps to see if this can be done with VCDS. Interesting find.

Have Fun!

Don
I would guess Flight Mode and Airplane Mode on a cell phone mean the same thing.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would guess Flight Mode and Airplane Mode on a cell phone mean the same thing.

I suspect that you are correct. I searched for lots of variations on flight (flug), Flight mode (flugmodus), and airplane (flugzeug) in both English and German. So far, I have not found it.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
seeing it seems to connect via can bus, prob not.

What would you be trying to gain? the "on star" type service? If so you can buy "on star" aftermarket units, that should would be cheaper.
Why would that make a difference? A5's are CanBus networked. You are correct in that it would be expensive and I think it would be a nightmare to get it to work correctly. After market would be the way to go.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The can bus and all the modules of the mk5 and mk7 are the same? Odd.

I'm just pointing out Mk7 stuff (Car Net) may not be backward compatible with Mk5 stuff.

With the issues (3-4yrs) that AutoPolar had with talking with the MQB canbus going from Mk5/Mk6 I'm thinking its more difficult than it seems.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive

Have Fun!

Don
This sounds more like a direct connection to the mothership type deal (similar to a re-key).

There may be legal and liability issues involved with disabling it. For example, consider the ramifications if the vehicle theft system could be disabled from within the vehicle via 3rd party tools (like VCDS)...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This sounds more like a direct connection to the mothership type deal (similar to a re-key).

There may be legal and liability issues involved with disabling it. For example, consider the ramifications if the vehicle theft system could be disabled from within the vehicle via 3rd party tools (like VCDS)...

I tend to doubt that, but you could be right. I am pretty sure that I do not need Samsung's permission to put my phone into "airplane mode". I am not talking about disabling any legally mandated safety features or functions. I'm only talking about severing the connection with Verizon Wireless. I'm not paying for car-net anyway, so I have no need to allow a hacker to get into my car from the outside. I'm not worried about people hacking my car from the inside. VCDS (et al) is useless with the ignition turned off and if they have my keys - all bets are off, it doesn't matter anymore.

Have Fun!

Don

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I tend to doubt that, but you could be right. I am pretty sure that I do not need Samsung's permission to put my phone into "airplane mode". I am not talking about disabling any legally mandated safety features or functions. I'm only talking about severing the connection with Verizon Wireless. I'm not paying for car-net anyway, so I have no need to allow a hacker to get into my car from the outside. I'm not worried about people hacking my car from the inside. VCDS (et al) is useless with the ignition turned off and if they have my keys - all bets are off, it doesn't matter anymore.

Have Fun!

Don
I was referring to VAG's and Ross-Tech's liabilities, not vehicle owners. The consequence to vehicle owners is their insurance rates going up.

Regardless, the linked article describes the process for disabling the device rather than removal.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm supposed to get a discount for having carnet installed?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
If you’re allowed to have VW disable it for you then may as well save the money, not bother VW about it, and physically remove it yourself.

There’s no possible way it can still work or be reactivated if it’s sitting on a shelf in the garage.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm supposed to get a discount for having carnet installed?
At minimum CarNet provides mileage verification, anti-theft, and vehicle recovery, which are three major factors that impact insurance rates.

The linked article points out that federal law requires new cars have these devices so the discounts may already be baked in to your premiums. I haven't dealt with a budget tier insurance company for decades, but both Liberty Mutual and USAA reduced my rates for the past three years for those factors. I have a 2016 eGolf, a 2015 GSW, a 1998 Beetle, 2 adult drivers, $500K coverage across the board, with $1 million umbrella coverage for $1400/yr in Southern California.