Different kind of CR turbo build

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Thanks. Okay to stomp on it at high RPM? Tune rework coming in a week or two. You think we should set this up like it's a 2056?

Any advice is appreciated. What would you do to set this rig up if you were me?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. Need to upgrade to 4bar map and replace my EGT sensor. It's only reading around 400°C at WOT.

Once that is settled, will see if I can up fueling more on the top end. I have a little smoke now, but I feel like it could handle some more fuel.

More to come...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounded like some slippage there in 3rd gear. Maybe that was the v-tec kicking in. :) RPM didn't look like it jumped like the tach on my 6mt did when it slipped the clutch- so maybe that was just you flooring it.

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
You know now that I watch that again, that may be possible. I have been getting wheel spin though with the snow tires on it in third gear. I'll keep an eye on that.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed to my summer tires and beat the he'll out of it. No sign of slippage. I think that was a touch of wheel spin.

Or it was the V-tec.... ;)

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not dynoed. Definitely more than the CR170.

I was getting some surge and we dialed back the boost a bit. I think it needs some more fine tuning yet. Little less boost around 2,300-2,500 rpm and a little more on top end.

I do want to get to the dyno. There is a local shop that will have one up and running soon.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I've got something in the works with them to get some dyno results. Any predictions? 185hp, any over under guesses out there?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, also forgot to mention I had a fried EGT sensor. Replaced and I feel like the fueling is just right. Long wide open pulls it will just bump into 930°C late in 4th gear, 80mph or so.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Do you have a baseline dyno from when the car was stock? On the same dyno you are going to use

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, I do not. VLperformance just got theirs set up. Dyno first timer here. I can only assume it had what VW claimed.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Thanks, I've got something in the works with them to get some dyno results. Any predictions? 185hp, any over under guesses out there?
Awesome to hear! I plan on going there at some point in time to get my car dynoed to see what it makes, since they have an AWD dyno.

I'm going to say 181 whp.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Well had the dyno session at VLPERFORMANCE today. Turns out I was off with my prediction. Oh well, not everyone can be a great estimator. Lots of unknowns with the Frankenstein turbo.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
The boost was actually turned down to 28psi because of some boost creep at high speed cruising. We think it needs an actuator adjustment.

You can also see where the EGT limiter kicks in on the log and dyno graph around 4,000 rpm. With a little more air, I think it would crack 220hp.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I don't see an egt limiter kicking in.

What I see is the sensor reaching the end of its reading range and power not being reduced. (flat egt reading at 930C)

Did you have to swap sensors around? (like stage 3.5)

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. You can see there is a little hiccup when it hits that 930°C.

I'm running the egr probes in their stock configuration.

I think with some more fine tuning it could crack 220hp. Kind of moot anyway as this is the baseline before I put the GTB2260vklr, Colt cams, upgraded valve springs etc.

Kevinski4

TDI
I don't see an egt limiter kicking in.

What I see is the sensor reaching the end of its reading range and power not being reduced. (flat egt reading at 930C)

Did you have to swap sensors around? (like stage 3.5)

You can clearly see power being reduced corresponding with the EGT hitting 930C in the log and in the dyno chart, just apparently not enough to get the EGT back below 930C.

Nice looking numbers Travis! Especially for the 95F weather with insane humidity we have had here the past week!

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Kevin. It was definitely pretty scweddy the past few days. I think that new intercooler should help a bit.