Upgrade Audi A5 3.0tdi 239HP>347HP

Jbirschner

TDI
330d e90
Hi,
I know this thread is old but I need some advice from Turbo veterans.

I have modified myself my 330d E90 2007 prelci to a 354hp 787nm... my set up is:
- Full 76mm exhaust no silencers dual exit
- EGR, DPF, SWIRL FLAPS removed and deleted from system.
- hpfp modified and 2015 model #pn
- 2015 injectors
- uprated IC w/ 2.5" piping
- Custom Map
- Hybrid GTB2260VKLR double ceramic bearings w/ modified manifold

Now, my can is running out of air apparently. I am running at 2.7 bars (real) and I cannot extract any more HP from that turbo.
Already tested my with similar settings made for a 535d running 420hp but only smokes and power is 355hp... so no improvement.
Turbine is standard 44.5 / 50.x mm
Compressor is billed 69mm / 71 exdended 73mm tip.

I need a bigger turbine but as far I can see is impossible to fit a bigger turbine because new VNT mechanism, is that correct? Anybody knows if is possible to fit a bigger turbine to VKLR?

I have another turbo to go soon and replace the VKLR but I would like to know my possibilities before I modify everything again.

Thanks,
Jackson.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
You can fit there the slightly larger AMG turbine, but it wont take you alot further also. Around 380-400hp maybe.

Edit: How does your vklr spool by the way, with that big CW?

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
What not try two gtd1752vrk or one GTC3576V?
just a thouht

Hi,
I know this thread is old but I need some advice from Turbo veterans.

I have modified myself my 330d E90 2007 prelci to a 354hp 787nm... my set up is:
- Full 76mm exhaust no silencers dual exit
- EGR, DPF, SWIRL FLAPS removed and deleted from system.
- hpfp modified and 2015 model #pn
- 2015 injectors
- uprated IC w/ 2.5" piping
- Custom Map
- Hybrid GTB2260VKLR double ceramic bearings w/ modified manifold

Now, my can is running out of air apparently. I am running at 2.7 bars (real) and I cannot extract any more HP from that turbo.
Already tested my with similar settings made for a 535d running 420hp but only smokes and power is 355hp... so no improvement.
Turbine is standard 44.5 / 50.x mm
Compressor is billed 69mm / 71 exdended 73mm tip.

I need a bigger turbine but as far I can see is impossible to fit a bigger turbine because new VNT mechanism, is that correct? Anybody knows if is possible to fit a bigger turbine to VKLR?

I have another turbo to go soon and replace the VKLR but I would like to know my possibilities before I modify everything again.

Thanks,
Jackson.

Jbirschner

TDI
330d e90
You can fit there the slightly larger AMG turbine, but it wont take you alot further also. Around 380-400hp maybe.

Do I have to machine the turbine casing and get it all balanced again? Is it really compatible with vklr core and vnt system? I read that it would touch vanes when fully open.
For that range of power I will not be happy. So I guess new turvo then. I alread have a BG s300v to install.

Thanks.
Jackson.

Jbirschner

TDI
330d e90
What not try two gtd1752vrk or one GTC3576V?
just a thouht
Hi,
I will have to do a lot of modifications to install 2 parallel turbos..already thought that, ever triple turbo from 550d but nice idea.
Is the gtc3576 ball bearing and vnt? Have you got wheels sizes?
What about the BG S300V.. ?? I purchased it from america and I will probably replace my current kit with it.
Thanks,
Jackson

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
why not BMW new quad turbo system;)
I guess they wanted better response and by that lowering the polar torque by making it cluster turbo set up, but I still can not get why they did not go another way...

Look at turbo technical database
I have posted some information there, or e mail me and I give you even more information that might be useful

There are GTC/GTD3576v.. with ball bearing but have not tracked one down yet... VNT layout is better then the GTB for even lower back pressure, can even be use as a exhaust brake since it is DVNT but physically they are not directly small and need some space

I have not tried S300V, but I know one that has...

Hi,
I will have to do a lot of modifications to install 2 parallel turbos..already thought that, ever triple turbo from 550d but nice idea.
Is the gtc3576 ball bearing and vnt? Have you got wheels sizes?
What about the BG S300V.. ?? I purchased it from america and I will probably replace my current kit with it.
Thanks,
Jackson

Jbirschner

TDI
330d e90

Hi,
Spool is very good. What do you mean fit a amg 49mm turbine? The grb2260vklr wont accept that turbine, already spoke to the company who modified my turbo.
Do you know somebody who upgrade a turbine of a gtb2260vklr? Please send me details if possible.
Regards,
Jackson.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
What S300V version? With 56mm inducer comp wheel or maybe 60mm inducer?

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
I think it better that you try to find "S356V" -version of that charger. We tried bigger version in MikkoP:s 400bhp TDI and it was just too big...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Hi,
Spool is very good. What do you mean fit a amg 49mm turbine? The grb2260vklr wont accept that turbine, already spoke to the company who modified my turbo.
Do you know somebody who upgrade a turbine of a gtb2260vklr? Please send me details if possible.
Regards,
Jackson.
I wonder if you had any issues with the vklr turbo yet, what EGT do you see for that boost ? Reason i ask is one of my mates had no end of issues with the vklr turbo, the retaining bolts keep coming off loose and the vnt has been damaged in a few ocasions. The locating pins are also coming off/braking and the vnt ring keep spinning inside the turbo throwing actuator alignment off ! He drilled the bolts to take larger bolts and so far it holds however i like the gtb2260vk better as the vnt ring is secured with bolts and never had one behaving like that yet !
However the turbo i talk above is on a 2.0 tdi and while it spools well with a billet compressor wheel 62/65mm ETT, i wonder how yours spool with that big compressor in relation with the stock turbine !

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
Hi,
Regards,
Jackson.
Did they say the reason also? I heard same thing when i wanted bigger turbines to my gtb1749vk-s. Eventually made them bymyself. AMG turbine fits to gtb2260vk without any issues. Havent taken a vklr appart jet but i wouldnt be suprised if the shaft is same as 2260vk.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Did they say the reason also? I heard same thing when i wanted bigger turbines to my gtb1749vk-s. Eventually made them bymyself. AMG turbine fits to gtb2260vk without any issues. Havent taken a vklr appart jet but i wouldnt be suprised if the shaft is same as 2260vk.
Not the same, there are major differences in the shaft where it fits onto the ball bearing cartridge...

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
3. Real 302HP with DPF is not good. Exhaust temperature maybe too high. If he turned off temp related limiter in tune it might damage car. Remap definitely useful. New Turbo can give more air pressure (boost) to make more power.
Where did you get this info from? I've been running over 300hp for a while now with the BITDI intercooler and the DPF in place.