Scratches?

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Just a question on any available rubbing compound.

The other day while driving down the highway, I hit a large airborn piece of plexiglass, upon impact, it broke into a million pieces of course and luckily no severe damage to my car.

It did however leave several scratches on the bumper. Is there any kind of a rubbing compound or something that I could buff these scratches out with? If I could find a good substance, I may be able to buff some other scratches out in other places. My car is black, so of course everything shows up.

Thanks for any advice.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The bumper is plastic, I think. If so, Meguiars sells some kind of plastic polish that may help. Others make them, too. Look around some Web sites or take a look at a good auto parts store.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
The bumper is plastic, but is painted with the same paint as the body, with a flex-agent added to it. Some good old fashioned elbow grease working with a good quality wax has taken out almost all of the scratches from the finish that I have managed to accumulate, but it does take time to stretch the finish out to eliminate the scratch altogether...

-Rich

paul_cat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI [ALH]
Try Meguiar's Scratch-X, in the black tube. Avail at Target and WalMart, it's clear coat safe and should remove most minor surface imperfections.