Clogged DPF!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have 161,000 miles and had the fix ~8000 miles ago, I got a check engine light and a P2002 code and the dealer says I have a clogged DPF. It's covered under warranty! But I think it's interesting and wanted to share with all of you.

The service writer indicated he typically sees this on the TDI cars between 150K and 200K miles. Glad I got the fix and the warranty before this happened! I changed to a mostly shorter commute the last couple of years and suspect that may have contributed.

I didn't run a scan of my own yet, but I did one at Mile:122,947 and I had Oil Ash Volume: 120 ml. So I suspect I'm around 160 ml, maybe a bit more, considering my shorter commutes this last couple of years.

One more note, the check engine light went off just before I went to the dealer. The code was stored, so the dealer still had the information and I could see it on my P3Cars gauge. I cleared the fault twice in the past, because I was away on vacation and hated looking at the check engine light. When it came on again at home, I scheduled the appointment at the dealer. Then, on Sunday before my appointment on Monday, the light went off on it's own.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Any symptoms other than the light?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^No, it seems to run fine. Since the fix I have had lots of regen activity, many more shorter bursts and plenty of the longer variety too. During the regens, the car has jerky power delivery, but it generally goes just fine. The light went off after a long regen, but the code was stored.

I'm going away again and just hoping the car doesn't go into limp mode at an inopportune time. So far, it's been fine and the light is off for the moment. I'm getting a new DPF when I get back on August 1st. I hope I make it!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is not necessarily clogged, just that its regen ability is not up to the expected level. This is pretty rare before the fix, as they usually crack and leak LONG before they get loaded up. But post fix, I have already seen a few.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thank you for your comment oilhammer!

Post fix, so far for me
  1. intake manifold
  2. one injector
  3. new DPF (to be installed 8/1/2018)

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
When school is out, my daily commute is generally just 5 miles into town and 5 miles home. But we've just completed a 1100mi round trip to KS and the car did well. Still in the 35-37MPG range tho. Was hoping for better, but it was due for an oil change and I determined the tires I just had installed, were a bit low on air.

I just need to purposely drive the car on longer commutes during the summer so it doesn't get bogged down.

School in, I drive two 40 mile commutes, so I think it's good there!

the_janitor

TDI
2011 Golf Highline DSG
Got my DPF replaced almost 2 weeks ago on July 5th. Car seems to run a bit smoother. Also no more pitch black soot accumulating at the end of the tailpipes like before. Now when I take a paper towel to wipe the inside of the pipes nothing rubs off.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
New code for me today! - p0401, EGR System Insufficient Flow

I saw an older "oilhammer" post on another thread and read where he said that means my "EGR filter tube is clogged, because your DPF is cracked and allowed soot to get in and clog the EGR tube. Your tailpipes are also sooty."

Sure enough, now I have sooty tailpipes too! The good news, I'm covered under the extended warranty and the dealer already told me it's related to the p2002 code for my DPF and they'll take care of it. I'm going to have to take my wife's car on vacation, but that seems to be the only real negative. It's an almost new Accord, so not that bad I guess, but I would much rather be in my car.

Thank you oilhammer!

the_janitor

TDI
2011 Golf Highline DSG
^
My car threw both P2002 and P0401 before I got the DPF replaced. I was hoping they would replace the EGR too but told me it wasn't necessary. However, the EGR filter was supposed to be replaced with a new one during the fix. Have them inspect it to make sure the soot from your damaged DPF didn't clog it up.