GTD1752VRK different compressor housing option.

Pyce

TDI
1.6 HDi
I need help. There is another option for the compressor housing curved on the opposite direction or at least with straight pipe. What options I have.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hold a mirror up at just the right position.

Seriously, I have never seen a compressor outlet directed toward the hot side.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
It is almost trivial to cut and re-angle the outlet pipe. The casting welds nicely.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Slight off topic, how much is that BMW turbo in Europe? I would like one

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The compressor is ally. However going to weld the turbo directly to manifold. Cast iron 2 cast iron welds ok ?
People here have done this on various projects.
I would find a welder with prior experience, though.
In this specific case I would just weld on the V-band - much cleaner.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
You cannot weld cast iron. There is a process called brazing, but I don't think it will hold up for your location.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Sure you can weld cast aluminium. Comp cover is almost 99% of cases aluminium not iron.

Pyce

TDI
1.6 HDi
Thank you guys.
Spoke yesterday with my turbo builder and direct welding to manifold is the way to go as the argon welgings cast iron cast iron are very strong. Also I'll use a 2'5" Vband for the exhaust side like in the picture below.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Cast iron can be welded however they are different grades of casts- most Garrett casts are weldable- some are even cast stainless steel (gtb2060vklr, etc). I would use the v bands supplied on the housings, they are plenty good enough for what you need. I actually seen a lot of welded turbos crack from the joint due to thermal stress, keep it simple !
Al

Pyce

TDI
1.6 HDi
Cast iron can be welded however they are different grades of casts- most Garrett casts are weldable- some are even cast stainless steel (gtb2060vklr, etc). I would use the v bands supplied on the housings, they are plenty good enough for what you need. I actually seen a lot of welded turbos crack from the joint due to thermal stress, keep it simple !
Al
But I''ll need to weld a a steel flange on manifold for that vband and steel 2 cast iron are prone to crack

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You could build a log manifold...the stainless v band flange will weld a lot better on the manifold than a cast iron manifold to a cast iron turbine housing. You just need preheat and shot peen the weld as it cools... I have welded many engine blocks on big tractors and they hold no problems !

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not a welding expert by any means (lots of 6011 rods), but I would weld that cast iron by 1- disassembling the turbo housing, 2- preheating the cast parts for a couple hours in an oven set to its max setting, 3- weld it while passing a torch over to keep it somewhat uniformly hot, and 4- placing it back in the preheated 475-500° F oven and very gradually turning the heat down over a period of at least several hours. That should help minimize the odds of things cracking.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I weld many crafter 2.5 tdi cast iron manifolds, I use cold welding and copper rods with TIG, low 100-110 Amps and shot peen the weld- no cracking whatsoever ! If it’s a bad cast then preheat and slow cooling it’s what I use !