Airbox back to stock tdi recall ??

KrissyPTN

TDI
10 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hi yall,

So my vehicle is currently at VW Huntsville, Al and I got a call saying VW wont do the emissions recall work because I have a K &N airbox. I would have to take it back to stock at an out of pocket cost of $238. Now, i know it was after market however when we purchased the vehicle from the dealership that way. Anyone have any similar issues and what was done.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Are you at the same dealer you purchased it from? Did you buy it new that way or is this a used car? A junkyard might be a choice for a used air box replacement at a lower cost.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you bought the car from a VW dealership, they should make it right, imo. Pretty sleazy if they are selling cars ineligible for the fix or warranty work and not informing the buyer beforehand.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
They could have sold the car before the fix was announced, or before diesel gate happened.

I'd say junkyard will be your friend, I don't believe the air box/piping is TDI specific so a 2.5L or 2.0t may work.

Also someone here (or vortex) may have one kicking around after they upgraded to a sweet AFI airbox. Best of luck.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They could have sold the car before the fix was announced, or before diesel gate happened.
Even if that were the case, the dealer would likely be happy to deny any engine/emissions system warranty work based on the aftermarket filtration. Maybe there was no warranty left, or maybe they did inform Krissy of the possible implications of having that airbox before she purchased. I'd make my case politely and see if the dealer or VWoA owns up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is already a thread here where someone took their car in for needed emissions work and was refused warranty work based on an aftermarket filter. I would just get it replaced as cheaply as possible and move on. You don't want to get on VW's list of refusal cars due to one reason or another. Sell this setup to recoup for the stock setup or find someone to trade with that doesn't care. Or fight it out if you have a mind to.

KrissyPTN

TDI
Well guys, thanks for all the feedback. It wasnt purchased at a VW dealership, and it was purchased before the fix or even before the recall was announced. It came down to either replace the airbox or be denied the fix. Have to say the VW dealership went to bat for me however VWoA didn't budge. So oked the swap to the stock airbox and told them to put the K & N airbox in the trunk.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah kinda unfortunate, you're still way ahead with the fix money, just think if they said your DPF was cracked and needed replacing before they applied the fix?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
You didn't buy the car from a VW dealer so how is this their fault?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, no chance VW was going to help with a car they didn't sell. My truck had an aftermarket air sieve installed when I bought it, and it very nearly prevented the purchase.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sounds like the OP paid up to make VWoA happy an is motoring on with a new stock air box all the wiser about warranties and OEM compliance.

KrissyPTN

TDI
UPDATE....Needing Help

Well got my car back after a week+ no repairs were completed. Brought it home to replace airbox and fuse (ac/ fuse 40amp).They say my wiring to my internal fuse box is wrong and its causing ac coolant/heating fuse to blow. Also my battery is bad sending low voltage errors. Battery getting upgraded since its only 3 months old. So needing an idea were we can find how to wire it correctly. I am also going to bring up to my machanic to hear his take on it. Once that is complete we should be good to go. Lol. Still love my TDI. Lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the plot thickens!