Buyback and Oil Change

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Took 6 days from 1/18 submission of paperwork and I have offer letter in hand.
Things are speeding up if you follow the process, its not that difficult.
1/6 submission here, and nothing. (at step 15, all green checks)

I'm mega due for an oil change - i'm going to have to go ahead and do it with all the driving I have in the next 3 weeks. Drat.

Oh and I also keep not filling it all the way, and finally 3 weeks ago stopped tracking my mileage stats. That was hard! LOL

bobgreen

TDI
2014 sportwagen
Checked with three mechanics. Consensus is keep the oil topped off. Don't sweat it. You may even get a chance to turn it in. My case is so screwed up two legal firms from the class counsel are "working" on it.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Checked with three mechanics. Consensus is keep the oil topped off. Don't sweat it. You may even get a chance to turn it in. My case is so screwed up two legal firms from the class counsel are "working" on it.
I'm going to drive the boyfriends Outlook the next week while he is out of town, and then spring for the oil change before the next round of driving starts. I'm covered with my warranty if something happens - except if I haven't done that oil change.

Trust me, i'm really over :D :eek: :eek:

I'm hoping I get the offer next week, and then my date. That would make it so much easier to plan things. Between 2/6 - 2/18 I have so much driving to do i'm already tired of it! LOL At least right now I should have the Outlook available for a lot of it - but that means double the fuel expense at least.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I'm 2k over the oil change but it is mostly parked, still run it for highway trips, maybe another 600 next weekend. Sold back the Jetta 1 month ago, filed them both at the same time... They get to deal with the dirty oil for the additional 2-3 month delay. I have NEVER heard of a car seizing up from old oil.

On another note we turned in the jetta with 3/4 of a tank, I felt bad but then 3/4 of 14 is about 10.5 gallons at $2.50 a gallon. $26.25 when I am getting a check for over $11k isn't worth sweating for me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
But the fixed cars will have a warranty. Changing the oil is a lot cheaper for VW than changing an engine under warranty. I guess the timing belt wouldn't apply to the '15 cars that have a "lifetime" tb.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I think the part of the engine that is potentially most sensitive to bad oil is the turbocharger. Your turn in will not be a piece of cake with a failed turbo.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
But the fixed cars will have a warranty. Changing the oil is a lot cheaper for VW than changing an engine under warranty. I guess the timing belt wouldn't apply to the '15 cars that have a "lifetime" tb.

"Lifetime" TB = until it fails. I wouldn't go over 150K miles (and probably stick to 120K miles).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
"Lifetime" TB = until it fails. I wouldn't go over 150K miles (and probably stick to 120K miles).
Yeah, a lot of us are pretty skeptical about so called "lifetime" tb's. I guess time will tell just how long that lifetime really is.

mikeyj125

TDI
MK6 Jetta TDI
My dash was lit up like a Christmas Tree when i turned mine it. I had bulbs out way over on service CEL due to EGR, low tire TPM, no washer fluid light. It was actually pretty coo looking. All I did was to make sure it had oil in the crank.

Didn't know they had a light for no washer fluid :eek: doesn't surprise me I haven't found it, I usually have a gallon in my trunk at all time