2012 gas jetta vs diesel jetta vs diesel golfwagon vs diesel passat

I have a 2002 tdi auto with 200 000km. Driving is 70% highway. Growing kids require bigger rear seats. Considering the gas model strictly due to $ 5500 price difference.
Screen shots of 4 vw configurators below.

Appreciate all opinions.

http://contents.vw.ca/vw4/configurator/index.php?lang=en&model=jetta&year=2012 $ 25225.00

http://contents.vw.ca/vw4/configurator/index.php?lang=en&model=jetta&year=2012 $ 30744.00

http://contents.vw.ca/vw4/configurator/index.php?lang=en&model=golf_wagon&year=2012 $ 34366.00

http://contents.vw.ca/vw4/configurator/index.php?lang=en&model=passat&year=2012 $ 34833.00

Is golf wagon worth the money compared to passat?

Will keep car 8-10 years. Should I consider extended warranty?

All taxes and prep in.

Paste function did not work. So here is the breakdown:

2012 jetta gas comfortline auto $ 25225
2012 jetta diesel comfortline auto $ 30744
2012 golfwagon comfortline auto $ 34366
2012 passat trendline plus auto $ 34833

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
In my opinion, if you plan to keep it for 8-10yrs, the price difference is negligible.

That said, if you are buying for more rear space, the Jetta sedan or Passat are to two front runners IMO. I'm not sure but I believe that the GSW is going to have similar leg room to the MK5 Jetta, which is less than the current model. Someone else would need to verify that. You can't beat the cargo space though. I have a '12 Jetta and love it. Many complain about the "subpar" workmanship of the interior. I have no complaints.

As far as the Ext warranty, that is up to you. Note that is actually an insurance policy in most cases and they try to exclude everything they can. Oh, and dealer markup is well over 50%. I bought it right away but after reading numerous posts on this site, I canceled it and got my money back. The quote that got me was "Purchasing an extended warranty is basically saying you bought a pile of crap". Food for thought.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure how it is there, but here you can get a gas model Jetta with a [much simpler and more reliable] 4 cyl engine for around $16k.

If I were to buy any new Volkswagen today, and was after the best value/bang for the buck, that would probably be what I would buy.

Would not even consider a Jetta TDI sedan. I won't buy a $16k car for $9000 more just to get a diesel engine, sorry. And yes, I know the Jetta TDI comes with more 'stuff', none of which I need nor want.

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Sit in the back of them. Passat is huge compared to the others, with IMHO, a more usable trunk except those pinching hinges. 8-10 years? Sure you can't justify the TDI? Unlrss you want the base models, the upcharge is less than $3k.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Not sure how it is there, but here you can get a gas model Jetta with a [much simpler and more reliable] 4 cyl engine for around $16k.

If I were to buy any new Volkswagen today, and was after the best value/bang for the buck, that would probably be what I would buy.

Would not even consider a Jetta TDI sedan. I won't buy a $16k car for $9000 more just to get a diesel engine, sorry. And yes, I know the Jetta TDI comes with more 'stuff', none of which I need nor want.
I completely agree. I was looking at VW's site and the price difference between the base stripper Jetta and TDI Golf/wagon is completely astounding. Add on top that the mediocre fuel economy of the new CRs and it really don't leave much to be desired IMO. The Base Jetta with the bomb-proof 2.slo and manual trans is the best deal in town right now.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Jetta and TDI Golf/wagon is completely astounding.
That is definitely not what he said. He said he wouldn't buy a Jetta TDI. Big difference between the Jetta and the Golf/Sportswagen. You get A LOT more car for the money with those two. You have to get the top trim level in the Jetta to get the TDI so essentially, you get a 16K car with a couple upgrades and a TDI for 9K more than the base model. Not the case in the other models.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
It really does not matter. I do not want the top level trim with the huge arse wheels and letherette whatever they call it seats.

I want: Stripper TDI Golf or Wagon with with passat's emission system in it. Basic interior, 4 disk brakes, steel 15in rims, and better fuel economy. Until VW comes out with something like that, my ALH is will be still chugging along with 300K+ miles on it.

Thanks for all the input.

I made an appointment to have all four available this week at my dealership. I'll do a 70km loop in each car to replicate my actual drive each day.

I am looking for base models. The only options I need are a/c and auto for the wife.

The prices quoted were off the canadian website and yes, a base gasser with prep and taxes is quoted $ 25225. Actual prices will be less, but you get the idea when it comes to price differences.

I am concerned about build quality in jettas as my brother had one and traded it in 14 months later for passat. Huge improvement ( squeeks and rattles ).
I am interested to see how bad the gasser with auto is. The $ 5500 premium for the diesel is hard to stomach.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, 451,000 miles on it, when my boys were younger sure they complained about riding in the back and was always yelling shot gun to see who would have the honor of riding up front, but I out lasted them, as they got older they out grew the need to complain about riding in the back. My youngest son is over six feet tall, even he is ok with riding in the back. Hey If your 2002 is still in good shape, what are your plans for it?