Nos in TDI

TDIman49

TDI
1.6 diesel 55hp,1997 TD jetta, 1.9L TDI jetta 2001, 2L PD
Hay boys,

I got a question to ask, I was looking around and found a Diesel Nos kit.

Now i have lots of mods on my tdi jetta 2001, and im wondering how safe/good is this for the diesels? and also like i wouldnt use it unless i was on the track.. soo im just wondering if you guys can give me some input

here is the web site
http://holley.com/HolleyNews/article.asp?ID=42

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The FAQ info is rather outdated. But still ... unless you are grossly overfueled and belching black smoke, I can't see how adding extra oxidizer is going to do much. I still think it's a good recipe for blowing something up, though.

Also, in Ontario, it's now explicitly illegal to have a connected nitrous oxide system on the road.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Almost nobody has a NOS kit on a TDI.

Nos isn't exactly some shiny brand spanking new unheard of technology.

What does that tell you?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
There are a few reasons you don't see more nitrous kits in tdi's:

A - cost vs gains for an "average" modded car
B - the very often misunderstood way nitrous works on a diesel compared to the fast and furious way that the masses know
C - simply, most people just don't need it.

Now if you have a 12mm or 14 mm pump, some .260um nozzles, maxed out your big turbo in terms of efficient boost, and a very fat fueling map, you probably are a very good candidate for some extra oxygen in the chamber.

Nitrous oxide will work wonders a fuel rich diesel. When the nitrous is injected into the intake piping, it is sprayed out well below zero degrees. This will absorb a great deal of heat from the air charge and increase the density. The increased density alone translates to a power improvement and smoke reduction. Numerous diesel sled pullers and drag racers running 100 psi or more of boost use nitrous and water/meth exclusively as their form of intercooling.
In the combustion chamber, the oxygen rich nitrous will enable more fuel to be burnt completely increasing cylinder pressure. This is where the added power comes from. Smoke will also be drastically reduced due to the more complete combustion. Of course, you always can inject too much and cause a loss of power or even a flame out in stupidly excessive amounts.

The best way to set up nitrous is on a dyno. Slowly increase the jet size until the power starts to drop. When the power begins to drop, put the largest nozzle size with a gain you tried back in. Properly set up, it's a nice, reliable power adder. It's just a little expensive, complicated, and not really needed for the average modded tdi. I'm looking at installing a setup myself when I reach the point that some other members have on here.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I have nitrous, but I don't generally use it unless I'm doing a dyno run. For TDI's the "shot" rating cannot be linked to the gain you'll see. For a pterol car a 100 shot should be +50bhp. For me, it's +20bhp (roughly, unproven as yet) Also, Nitrous will not do much if your general running on full throttle is quite clean. NOS is made up of (as the name suggests :D) Nitrogen and Oxygen (2 nitrogen to 1 oxygen molecule I think) and this extra oxygen is what allows the extra fuel to burn, giving more power. Using NOS on a clean running car is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Mine runs "fairly" clean hence why I only see +20bhp when it's used. Also, when NOS is injected into the turbo pipework, it's at some silly temp like -100 degC, maybe even colder - so you get a very good cooling effect, which also adds to the power. :)