Sport or Standard Suspension?

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have to replace the front struts and when sourcing new ones there is a listing for 'Sport' or 'Standard' suspension. How do you know which one you have?

Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The build tag in the trunk has the suspension code listed, although you can interchange the struts themselves. Most North American VAG products have the lower level sport suspension, but not always on the B5.

What are you looking for? OEM level? Something a little stiffer? A lot stiffer?

The build tag will have either 1BA (non-sport) or 1BE (sport) on it somewhere, look on the bottom line (there will be a bunch of 3-digit codes listed).

Last edited:

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
I have been really happy with the Sachs Advantage (red label) models...these are stiffer than their Super Touring (blue label) line. I have them on my Mk3 and my son's Mk4. Good value if you shop around and find them.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
OEM level is fine with me... just replaced all the control arms and had to use a 14" crescent wrench on the fork part of the strut to twist it so that I could get that bolt in. I'm not the original owner so figure it must have hit something that bent the strut somehow. The passenger side was fine. Thanks for that information oilhammer, greatly appreciated. Hopefully this thread will help someone else if they have the same question.

The build tag in the trunk has the suspension code listed, although you can interchange the struts themselves. Most North American VAG products have the lower level sport suspension, but not always on the B5.

What are you looking for? OEM level? Something a little stiffer? A lot stiffer?

The build tag will have either 1BA (non-sport) or 1BE (sport) on it somewhere, look on the bottom line (there will be a bunch of 3-digit codes listed).

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
So I have determined that the suspension on my B5.5 is the non sport version. I have sourced a good deal on the Sachs Sport Suspension, but not the non-sport version. Is there any harm with changing the fronts to the sport and leaving the rear as it is?

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I would assume it's the springs that primarily set the ride height, but would the sport springs lower or raise the ride height? What I meant by harm is will it throw off the handling in an adverse way? This is a daily driver, I'm not taking it to the track or anything like that.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The spring rate should be comparable to that of the valving in the shock/strut. With that being said factory replacement (sport or no sport) shocks/struts going either direction on factory springs will have no notable adverse affect although sport usually = bumpy and comfort usually = floaty. A combo of comfort in rear and sport in front may affect high speed maneuvering. This may may or may not be an improvement of the stock set up front however unless you auto cross or road race where every second counts, it will not matter.

The biggest issue with mixing/matching springs/struts is when lifting or lowering a vehicle (using unmatched springs/struts) and maxing out the shock/strut throw which can damage the shock/strut. You will not have that issue in your case. Thow them on, get a good alignment and drive until the rears wear out!

The biggest issue you may have with your sport springs will probably be felt in your kidneys while driving on county maintained roads.

The only time ive found that certain shocks make certain springs unbearable were on short wheel based lifted vehicles with leaf springs on both axles. Unless you replace your struts with galvanized pipe you won't have that issue on a passat!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Koni STR.T Orange seem perfect on mine- just the right firmess and compliance. IMO

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Here in CT where the roads resemble a road that's been hit with mortars I put Sachs blue label on my daughters 05 Passat. They are soft but with 205-55-16's it's the nicest riding car in our fleet now

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I had put a set of STR T's on my '00 Golf and though I liked the ride, I found the paint on the outside of the shock didn't last too long. I remember they easily scratched when I was installing them and the paint work not holding up so well. I should note where I live salt is used on the roads in the winter months.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Bilstein OE replacements standard or sport. I can get them at a lesser cost than the Sachs, but not that big of a difference.

Koni STR.T Orange seem perfect on mine- just the right firmess and compliance. IMO

oilhammer

TDI
I have Bilstein on all my cars, and even my F150. They are an excellent fit, and last a really long time. Probably a bit stiffer than some folks like, but I sure install a lot of them and never any complaints.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Are these the Bilstein yellows or the OE replacements?

I have Bilstein on all my cars, and even my F150. They are an excellent fit, and last a really long time. Probably a bit stiffer than some folks like, but I sure install a lot of them and never any complaints.

oilhammer

TDI
Both the Passats have the yellow HDs.

Both the Golfs have the black Sports.

Truck has some big beefy yellow ones, "extra duty" whatever that means.

Sprinter has whatever version they use from the factory.

Vanagon as some OE-type black replacements.

My Passat sedan has had them since it had about 75k miles, which was probably somewhere around 2008. Still on there now, at 205k miles, still look and feel the exact same as when I put them on.

Golf I drive every day I put them on eight years ago, and about 160k miles ago. Again, look and feel the exact same.

Last edited:

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Have you installed any black Sports or Standards in any customers Passat and if so, what feedback did you get?

Both the Passats have the yellow HDs.
Both the Golfs have the black Sports.
Truck has some big beefy yellow ones, "extra duty" whatever that means.
Sprinter has whatever version they use from the factory.
Vanagon as some OE-type black replacements.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, lots of them. No complaints. I personally think the B5 Passat's OEM choice was a bit soft, too Buick like for my tastes, even when new.

Most of the VAG products here I put the black Billies on, A4, A5, B5, etc. Never any complaints, any feedback has always been positive. Several who have more than one car actually brought their other one in shortly afterwards for the same treatment.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Thank-you Oilhammer... that's extremely helpful.

Yes, lots of them. No complaints. I personally think the B5 Passat's OEM choice was a bit soft, too Buick like for my tastes, even when new.
Most of the VAG products here I put the black Billies on, A4, A5, B5, etc. Never any complaints, any feedback has always been positive. Several who have more than one car actually brought their other one in shortly afterwards for the same treatment.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I had put a set of STR T's on my '00 Golf and though I liked the ride, I found the paint on the outside of the shock didn't last too long. I remember they easily scratched when I was installing them and the paint work not holding up so well. I should note where I live salt is used on the roads in the winter months.....

When I was in the market for shocks I read the horror stories about the Koni's rusting away after a year or few. I have Billy's on my other car and feel they are kind of harsh at times. So even with the potential of the rust issue, in researching, I was convinced a set KONI FSD's were for me.

Before I installed them, I coated them with Clear Wheel Paint. The clear wheel paint is formulated for high heat, and resists chipping and cracking. When installed them, I bang them up a bit and the clear survived. So far the shocks look new. Although that is expected since I live in California.

Regards to the performance of the FSD's, I am a fan. Not too harsh compared to the original Sachs as a daily with very good handling characteristics. I would definitely recommend them if your looking for a overall great daily ride. But they are now discontinued and is replaced by the Special Active line which I read are essentially FSD's with some minor tweeking.