www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 9th, 2018, 18:16   #1
gtrosema

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Default Tps >

Yesterday I left for work and car took off fine then lost power. Still running but no boost. Ran codes and had boost code, drove the next day before running codes and ran fine. After reading codes and clearing I was looking into things and noticed that my TPS did not change. But somehow engine reved up and had power.

Confused.

Going to check at TPS in morning but thought I would see if anyone else had similar issues
gtrosema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 19:32   #2
QuickTD
Veteran Member

It is not an issue. A generic scan tool will show the position of the anti-shudder valve in the intake, which is always fully open when the engine is running. The value will nearly always be 100%.

A diesel runs unthrottled, there is no real "TPS", so I wouldn't waste time looking. Engine speed is controlled by fueling alone.

Your boost code is probably due a leak in the turbo's vacuum vane control system or boost leak at one of the post turbo intake hoses.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 03:44   #3
gtrosema

I thought the gas pedal had a potentiometer on it. That is where I am getting the TPS in my head. The VAG showed 1.65 can't recall if it was volts or %. I was in the 060 measuring block, and in the 002 and 003 if my memory is correct. But both places it did not climb.
Sorry 05 Passat.
Anyway I was kind of thinking the waste gate had hung open,
the rpms climbed but no power to get out of its own way. 225k might be time to look into rebuilding turbo.
Thanks for your thoughts
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:37   #4
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

That is only roughly 4500 hours. Nothing for a turbo. Should easily do 10000.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:41   #5
Scubanero
Veteran Member

No waste hate to hang open. Most likely you are seeing turbo limp mode as described by QuickTD. And whatever you call it, the skinny pedal on the right has to talk to the ECU so it has a position sensor.
Old August 15th, 2018, 08:11   #6
gtrosema

By waste gate I meant the vanes stuck open. Changed oil this weekend and hasn't happened since the first time. Think I have put over 500 miles on it since then. Hopefully just a one time deal? Ordering vacuum hoses and going to change some that look like they need to be replaced.
thanks the insight.