converting a b5 bhw to a VE engine.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Im looking for some info on whether or not it is possible to convert my 04 b5 Auto BHW to VE. From a nuts and bolts standpoint it seems straightforward but Im unsure if it will work wiring wise given I want to keep the Auto trans at least for now if possible. What do I need to add or subtract from the engine harness?

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I think people are confused as why you'd even want to do this? I sure am. Maybe you could provide more detail on what you're trying to do.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
How can I make a ve pump work with 04 b5.5 wiring. Im not going to discuss why I want to do this. I want to know what it would take to work. Jimbote has already shown an ALH head will work on a bhw block I just want to do to make it work in a b5.5.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
making it work with edc16 wiring will be a PIA and i think if you want answers you'll have to devise them yourself as most anyone would use an edc15 or earlier harness to convert this car to VE

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Ok so different ecu but Im guessing custom harness then? Will the 15 be able to talk to the TCU to run the trans properly?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
1. PD injectors are significantly more complex and expensive than Ve and require specialized equipment to replace meaning more expense to simply changes nozzle sizes.
2.Inevitable Cam failure expense
3. I like a challenge
4. Better MPG
5. I just like the VE engine better and think its a better system.
6. VE engines tolerate alternative fuels better.
I really dont want to debate this I just want some help figuring it all out and/or debating if its possible even. Im going to slowly accumulate the parts for it as they become available for good deals and go from there. It may seem dumb to some your entitled to your opinion but please leave the HARSH criticism out ie your a retard and the like. How much easier would it be were I to convert it to Manual?

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I think you would be better off selling the car and buying a gasser B5 passat and swapping a AHU into it. Get an AHH harness from europe and a proper TDI ratioed transmission. Its been done before and you will be starting with a MUCH less expensive car to begin with.

Last edited:

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Harsh words dude. I dont understand why your getting so bent out of shape. Thanks for the tips. I would prefer to use a block without an intermediate shaft otherwise id go that route.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
In the OPs defense, I have seen much dumber questions posted here (ex. 20v head on an ALH thread), but that doesn't mean he should get fed such bitter harsh browns

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think you would be better off selling the car and buying a gasser B5 passat and swapping a AHU into it. Get an AHH harness from europe and a proper TDI ratioed transmission. Its been done before and you will be starting with a MUCH less expensive car to begin with.
This would be my advice as well.

If you are dead set on going edc15 with the auto easiest (but not all that easy!) way would be to source an entire harness from Europe that came so equipped. Would be rather difficult to find such an animal as most in Europe were manuals. Would probably be much easier to find a AFN/5spd drivetrain complete with harness and ecm leading back to my original suggestion. ; )

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Harsh words dude. I dont understand why your getting so bent out of shape. Thanks for the tips. I would prefer to use a block without an intermediate shaft otherwise id go that route.
Yeah I went back and edited my post because it did seem a bit harsh but I guess it was too late...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually member frans on here imports engines/transmissions from Europe. Get yourself a gasser B5 and have him ship you over a complete drivetrain swap. It would probably be cheaper and easier in the end.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
You would make your life much easier if you convert to manual transmssion at the same time as that will take a lot of wiring and electronics out of the equation.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
You would make your life much easier if you convert to manual transmssion at the same time as that will take a lot of wiring and electronics out of the equation.
Thats good to know and definitely in the plan this tiptronic slush box has to go. Any idea what accesory bracketry to use on the hybrid? The alt is in the way on the bhw stuff but it also has the provision for the fan. Is there an electronic cooling fan from another vehicle I could use?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you want AHH harness and ecu and other parts, I have them. It'll plug into a 99.5 ALH or any ALH with some swapped sensors OR swapped plugs.

No, you won't get much better mileage with a VE TDI in a Passat over PD TDI. 5spd swapped PD gets 38-43mpg, my VE always got 40mpg flat with a few random tanks in 43-45mpg range.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
I don't think the VE's get that much better mileage because of the lack of PD injectors. I think it's more the weight of the vehicle. Our old VE B4V always got about 50 but it was quite a bit lighter than most of the modern stuff.