Golf mk3 GTI TDI (VR6 to TDI)

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Hi, I am currently planning my future project and I would like to have some feedback on it I currently own a couple of cars and want to play a little bit with them.

Project car : Currently a Golf GTI VR6 1995 in mint condition, even the floor. Was stored during Winter since the last 8 years. Absolutely fully loaded but the leather.

Donor car : Jetta 1990 with complete 1998 AHU Swap + Some more mk3 TDI parts

Now, my project consist in, swaping the TDI engine into the Golf, and selling the VR6 swap. I would be running the GTI TDI on 5 bolts and of course, I want to reach the same power (read more) that a VR6 can produce. I’ve been told my some gas-folks that it was a stupid idea of removing a VR6 for a Diesel engine, of course I’ll lose the sound of the engine but will gain seriously in fuel economy. It’s very hard to find a mk3 in excellent condition. Since mine is, I will probably me modding that one.
Well, let me know what you think of this project, nothing is completely decided yet.

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
This was essentially my original project plans before I got rediculous ideas in my head. It's a good plan I think. You will need to swap the subframes but you already have the cable shifter and hydraulic clutch components so that's a start. VR6's are just big slow noise makers, you'll be happier with the diesel :D

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Hi VWMIKEL, i've read your project, very interesting one. I would like to do this swap but it is a little more cost and time consuming. Mine is more straight forward compared to yours but you do have an awesome car!

I will probably start the project just before winter or in the spring, depending on the time i'll have for this.

My friend is going to Germany in the next weeks, if he can find a ARL swap I would be interested but if it is too costly, i'll stick with the AHU.