stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
The trans was just replaced. my car has 425,536 KM's on it. My car is a 2001 Jetta, so maybe they woke up and improved the 2003's.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's the same transmission. I suspect since it was just replaced, something is out of alignment or the wrong fluid was used.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
The trans may be the same but maybe they improved on the shift cables and the shifter etc. My understanding is that they are not ment to be shifted very fast. The car was no deff., when new. As for the alignment[ajustment] will check back with the Mech., who did the job and ask if it is the problem, he is a VW trained mech., and if I might add a very good one at that. No harm in asking for sure. As for the lub I have a 50/50 mix of Redline MT90 and their MTL in it and still could be better when cold. What VW syn., trans lub is the best as we have like so many choices of the VW lubs ranging from $10.00 to some $30.00 a liter or so. I believe the VW in this case may be the better choice as I have also tried Amsoil MTG, Redline MT90 and the Elf/Total lubes and they all suck in the cold.

Last edited:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
For silky smooth shifting avoid the redline. The synthetic VW lube is awesome. So is Pennzoil (also GM) Syncromesh which can be found at autozone! It is even great in cold weather! It has saved my friend's old old 86' BMW 5 speed, which he originally thought needed new syncros!

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
What is the VW part number and what is the cost of it? The GM stuff, is there a part number for it and the cost of it also. Thank-you. Yes the mech., that R&R my trans said the GM stuff worked very good in our trans. Wonder how Amsoil's syncromesh MTF works, anyone out here try the Amsoil MTF. I have tried the Amsoil MTG and what not happy with it what so ever, and the MTG is what Amsoil says to use in our trans.. and it sucks for cold shifting.

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If you're having problems with cold shifting (and you're in Ontario) you really need to adjust your shifter cables first, especially since your transmission was just replaced. I also like an occasional shot of white lithium grease on the ends of the shifter cables and the sliding linkages where they attach to the transmission.

I've got the Redline MTL/MT90 in my 2000 NB and it shifts fine, even at -25C.

JoeGreen

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1996,White
So.. I read all 25 pages.. figured I’d go with whatever VW recommended for my 1996 B4 Passat.. The parts guy said that “the internet” says I need G-060-726-A2 @$14.75 per “Quart” . He also said it was Synthetic.

I can find nothing in this thread with that number?

Can I believe them?

StevenM

TDI
1997 Passat
Something else to chew on...

A google search of G052-911-A2, brings up mostly Audi Quatro applications.
Is it possible G052-911 has something special in it for the 4 wheel drive Audi system?

Impex shows no applications for G052-911.

Impex has an application chart for the new G070, it only lists a few cars, oldest being 1999. More evidence it is a thin ATF style oil.

Impex's app. chart shows a lot of vehicles using G50 (G005-000) all the way back to the 70s and ranging up into the 2000s.

StevenM

TDI
1997 Passat
JoeGreen said:
So.. I read all 25 pages.. figured I’d go with whatever VW recommended for my 1996 B4 Passat.. The parts guy said that “the internet” says I need G-060-726-A2 @$14.75 per “Quart” . He also said it was Synthetic.

Can I believe them?
Crazy, funny or infuriating? (VW not you) What the h*ll is G-060-726-A2? Are you sure he did not say G-052-726-A2? G-052-726-A2 is a super thin fluid. Below is my post submitted to the other relevant threads. Read the part about what dealers say.

I'm running G50!
Yesterday I called another dealer to ask what the recommanded tranny fluid for my 1997 Passat TDI would be. This is considered a sport for VW owners as you will likey get a different answer from everyone you speak with. Anyway.... This dealer asked for my VIN. I gave it to him and after a lengthy wait he came back and said VW recommends G50 (G005-000). Weee. I'm running G50. The only other choice for me was the G052-911 (which I thinks may be designed for the Audi 4x4). Everything else suggested in these tranny fluid threads was either not VW or too thin and/or not GL-4.

How can you go wrong with G50 for the older cars? It's what the factory put in the car, it's synthetic, it's genuine VW, cars go hundreds of thousands of miles on it with zero tranny trouble.
I my mind, for the older cars it's the only fluid you can be completely comfortable with.

Some newer cars developed a spider gear noise with G50 and thus VW issued a TSB saying to change to thin stuff, old cars need not be concerned..

jdoe

BANNED, Frank M alias
TDI
Golf
StevenM said:
Some newer cars developed a spider gear noise with G50 and thus VW issued a TSB saying to change to thin stuff, old cars need not be concerned..
What is a spyder gear and a what does a spyder gear noise sound like?

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
What do you guys think of this?

BOSS FULL SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL SAE 75W90​
meets the requirements of the
API Service designation GL-4
This Synthetic Gear Oil is engineered to reduce frictional gear drag and protect the
gearing against failures associated with heavy loading. This products exhibits excellent
flowability properties which minimize gear wear in extreme weather conditions.

TYPICAL TEST PROPERTIES​
SAE GRADE 75W90
DENSITY @ 15ºC 0.8762
VISCOSITY @ 40ºC,cSt 109
VISCOSITY @ 100ºC, cSt 14.81
VISCOSITY INDEX 141
BROOKFIELD VISCOSITY
Cp @ -40ºC 133,000
FLASH POINT (COC) ºC 204
FIRE POINT (COC) ºC 214
POUR POINT, ºC -47
FOAMING (D-892)​
ML@24ºC

*tendency (Seq.1​
.2) O/O
*stability @ 5 min (Seq.1
.2 O/O
COLOR L1.5
APPEARANCE (VISUAL) CLEAR

anyone hear of it? thoughts?

Last edited:

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Wow this is a long thread. I've tried to extract the right info here, but FYI-
I changed my tranny fluid in my 2001 ALH 5spd Manual 02J (EGR I think) with Redline MT90andMTL combo. In the cold weather here in Toronto/Ottawa it was notchy and horrible.
I quickly changed it back out to the G-052-171-A2 synthetic which is for 6spd but I was told backward compatible to the mineral version listed in my Bently.

It is like butter! In the cold weather also. I'll leave that in there now. Great stuff.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Seeing G070 for real

I finally decided to have my transmission serviced, by the "official" experts (a VW service organization that I think is pretty good).
Mine is a 2002, 5-spd type 02J, EGR. The clutch plate rivets were loose, shaft problems, reverse gear/idler issues, some worn syncros, need to grind the flywheel, etc.
Anyhow, they are filling up the oil with G070726A2. (I don't know the exact hyphens and spaces, so I'd better write the P/N like that.)
I saw back on 24-Dec that vwlogue posted a link in this thread, to the G070 thread, here's that again — G070726A2 is noticeable improvement
Larry.

TDI1220

TDI
2003 Golf 1.9 TDI
Ocd

03 tdi automatic tranny, what fluid should i use? Also
what oil is recomended 1.9

I wouldn't mind actually talkin to someone about the work i wanna do on my vw. Anyone from New York? pref Long island. Anyone goin to Waterfest? I'll be there

Last edited:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
TDI1220 said:
03 tdi automatic tranny, what fluid should i use? Also
what oil is recomended 1.9

I wouldn't mind actually talkin to someone about the work i wanna do on my vw. Anyone from New York? pref Long island. Anyone goin to Waterfest? I'll be there
For the automatic use only the VW fluid! AlanTDI in Merrick had problems with another fluid that the rebuilder used. I am in Queens,btw.

candela

TDI
'04 tacoma doublecab TRD // '76 porsche 912E
JoeGreen said:

Can I believe them?
I'd like to know this as well, I didn't see anything for AHU......

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
2005 Beetle Gear Swap

Guys,

I just did a gear swap on my 2005 Beetle. I drained the original lube and it was light maple syrup in color. It was clean and smelled like gear oil.

I purchased the G060726A2 to put back in. It seemed much thinner than what was in transmission AND was much lighter in color, almost clear.

I drove around some and the transmission did not feel the same as with the original lube. Before the gear swap, the transmission was very, very smooth shifting. I noticed when I shift into reverse, I get a slight grind. That wasn't there before. I saved the original lube. I might send it in for oil analysis to see what viscosity it had and try to order the closest one on Andy's chart.

I did call a couple different VW dealers who said the gear lube for my Beetle should be G052726A2 or G060726A2 (which supercedes G052726A2).

This topic is somewhat hard to follow as there are several G052 gear lubes and they all aren't the same viscosity.

Eric

ngdkuem73

TDI
2000 NB 306,000+ miles
DieselDrink said:
Wow this is a long thread. I've tried to extract the right info here, but FYI-

I quickly changed it back out to the G-052-171-A2 synthetic which is for 6spd but I was told backward compatible to the mineral version listed in my Bently.

It is like butter! In the cold weather also. I'll leave that in there now. Great stuff.
This is what I like to hear. I have been preaching this for a long time.

I had a bad experience with Mobil1 and when I talked to them they said do not use it in my '00 VW 5 speed

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
ngdkuem73 said:
This is what I like to hear. I have been preaching this for a long time.

I had a bad experience with Mobil1 and when I talked to them they said do not use it in my '00 VW 5 speed
Mobil said not to use a GL-4 or GL-5 fluid?

CrazyLoverTDi

TDI
Polo TDi/Audi A6 3.2 FSI
Can someone please Help? I can't take it anymore!!!

SUNRG said:
If your transmission specifies G52 fluid I highly recommend sticking with it as opposed to changing it out for one of the popular/common replacement manual transmission fluids because the viscosity of G52 is much thinner:
Viscosity Comparison @ 100 C

10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80
13.8 = Amsoil MTG 75-90
15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90
15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90
15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90
16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90

6.3 = OEM G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601)

With just over 43,000 miles on my 2004 Golf TDI 5-speed I drained my manual transmission fluid, re-filled with Motul Gear 300, and I brought samples of both the used G52 and new Motul Gear 300 to my local CAT fluid analysis lab.

Since I had written on the G52 oil sample label 75w-90 the lab viscosity tested the sample twice - both times returning a V@100c of 6.4.

My thinking was that either the OEM oil sheared way down OR the OEM fluid started out much lighter than the expected 75w-90.

So, I went to my local dealer this morning, bought a liter of G52, then drove to my local CAT fluid analysis lab and watched as he tested its viscosity right in front of me.

The result: VOA viscosity of G52 = 6.3

OEM G52 did not shear down at all in 43,000 miles of use:
V@100c: New G52=6.3, G52 after 43,000 miles = 6.4

Additionally, in these crazy unseasonably warm temps the Motul Gear 300 shifts fine - but early yesterday morning when temps were in the mid 40s - the first few shifts with Motul Gear 300 were noticably more effortful than the G52 ever was - even at below 0 temps.

Point being that even though Motul Gear 300 has an outstandingly low pour point (flows to -60) - **the 75-90 viscosity of common gear / manual transmission oils is IMO not suitable for use in VW transmissions where G52 is specified.**

OEM G52: 43k UOA

Motul Gear 300: VOA (this is as expected from a 75w-90 oil)

As I own a VAG car I thought someone must have a 3.2 FSI out there...:cool:

I was wondering if anyone could help me please? What gearbox oil should I use in my Audi A6 3.2 FSI (2005 05) 6 speed manuel? it has 65k on the clock!..

I've been reading so much about different oils! Everytime I find one(Silkolene Silktran Syn 5) It gets slated for bad gearshift when cold! So... Should I just go with Audi's own oil?( G 052 911 A1... which is Fuchs oil so I've been told) Or should I go with something like "Motul's gear 300?"

Does anyone know who makes the gearbox for the car? ZF maybe? or a part code for the box?:eek:

Any advise would be welcome :eek:

CrazyLoverTDi

TDI
Polo TDi/Audi A6 3.2 FSI
Audi A6 3.2 FSI Petrol gerabox oil...(Manuel 6 speed)

SUNRG said:
If your transmission specifies G52 fluid I highly recommend sticking with it as opposed to changing it out for one of the popular/common replacement manual transmission fluids because the viscosity of G52 is much thinner:
Viscosity Comparison @ 100 C

10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80
13.8 = Amsoil MTG 75-90
15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90
15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90
15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90
16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90

6.3 = OEM G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601)

With just over 43,000 miles on my 2004 Golf TDI 5-speed I drained my manual transmission fluid, re-filled with Motul Gear 300, and I brought samples of both the used G52 and new Motul Gear 300 to my local CAT fluid analysis lab.

Since I had written on the G52 oil sample label 75w-90 the lab viscosity tested the sample twice - both times returning a V@100c of 6.4.

My thinking was that either the OEM oil sheared way down OR the OEM fluid started out much lighter than the expected 75w-90.

So, I went to my local dealer this morning, bought a liter of G52, then drove to my local CAT fluid analysis lab and watched as he tested its viscosity right in front of me.

The result: VOA viscosity of G52 = 6.3

OEM G52 did not shear down at all in 43,000 miles of use:
V@100c: New G52=6.3, G52 after 43,000 miles = 6.4

Additionally, in these crazy unseasonably warm temps the Motul Gear 300 shifts fine - but early yesterday morning when temps were in the mid 40s - the first few shifts with Motul Gear 300 were noticably more effortful than the G52 ever was - even at below 0 temps.

Point being that even though Motul Gear 300 has an outstandingly low pour point (flows to -60) - **the 75-90 viscosity of common gear / manual transmission oils is IMO not suitable for use in VW transmissions where G52 is specified.**

OEM G52: 43k UOA

Motul Gear 300: VOA (this is as expected from a 75w-90 oil)

Hello,

I'm a new member on this site( I own a VW Polo TDi) But have a question about gearbox oil for an Audi A6 3.2 FSI.

My car has done 65k qnd I want to change the oil(no problems with the gearbox to date) I've been reading allot about which oil I need, and the more I read the more confused I'm becoming! I've been told that the Audi part number I need is- G 052 911 A SAE 75 W 90

But I want to use the best oil I can in it! Allot of makes of oil has been recommended to me (Motul's Gear 300 and Silkolene Silktran Syn 5) But I've read thar the Silkolene has a problem when it's cold so differcult to select 1st gear!

I've found out that Audi's own oil is re-packaged Fuch's oil which I can buy allot cheaper at the motor factors!

So can anyone tell me please what oil I should use? :confused:

Cheers

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Yes, but which, if any is suitable for an 020 (Mk2) trans?

VW sells G005000, G060726A2, G052171A2 and other tranmission oils.

Are any of these lubes suitable for an 020 trans in a 1992 diesel VW?

Last edited:

BigI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta GLS
StevM and JoeGreen there is in fact oil G060 726 A2 as I found out after contacting two VW dealers here in Toronto. It is a cheaper alternative (not full synthetic) to the G50. After reading these 26 pages (took some time I tell you) I almost went for the RL MTL, but as I reminded myself, you get what you pay for and we do have some cold winters, so I am grudingly going today to my dealer after I did checked their stock for G50 at $25. Cheers
PS. Asked nicely for a discount, got 15% off.

Last edited:

DOUGDANGER

TDI
none
02j Tranny Fluid

I have a question I hope someone here can help me with. I have a 03 Beetle with a 02J tranny in it. I want to use factory fluid. My delima is which fluid G0 52 171 A2 Synthetic or G0 52 726 A2 mineral. I just can't find anybody with a streight answer. Bently manual say's G0 52 726 A2 mineral for the 02J tranny.
Than I read a TSB about a hum when turning to use G0 52 171 A2 Synthetic. Than I read G0 52 171 A2 is for 02M tranny. What's the difference I would think Synthetic would be better for film strenght. Or can I run either one? HELP :eek:

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
I recently had to change my leaky trans gasket so of course I needed new fluid. I've had Redline in for the last year or so and liked it ok, but I decided to trust the German engineers with the latest update for the fluid they recommend. When I went to the dealer and asked for O2J fluid for an '02, they want to give me the 060 stuff. I had previously given my VIN which called for the 070...I have a Wolfsburg made wagon, which for some reason gets a different recommendation.

Anyhow, I put this in and really like the way the tranny shifts. It feels less sludgy, goes into gear better, and with less notchiness. It's not cold here yet in Oklahoma and we don't get as cold as you guys up North, but I think as thin as it is, it will be fine. It is very thin and drains much easier than the Redline that came out which I believe was the MT 90. I had originally put the MTL in, but changed it based on some of the reading here.

All of it gets so difficult to filter which is why I just gave them my VIN and ordered what they recommended. I have 140K BTW.