2006 jetta no start

TDI
2006 1.9l jetta
I have a 2006 jetta in a no start condition I have two codes a p2101 for a throttle control actuator and a code for a cylinder 1 glow plug circuit open. I do not know where to start my search for the problem I have already had the battery checked and its good. I have also changed the fuel filter and primed it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So describe what it does. Crank but no start, or dash lights up as normal but no starter engagement, or something else.

TDI
2006 1.9l jetta
I forgot to add it does crank yes. it shakes a good bit and when it was driving when I accelerated it would make a hissing sound I do not know if this is from the turbo or the intake manifold. when I crank the engine it wont turn over and after a few seconds it shows an oil light (there is oil in the engine).

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I forgot to add it does crank yes. it shakes a good bit and when it was driving when I accelerated it would make a hissing sound I do not know if this is from the turbo or the intake manifold. when I crank the engine it wont turn over and after a few seconds it shows an oil light (there is oil in the engine).
Your descriptions are confusing. For example, you state: "I forgot to add it does crank yes.", but later state: "when I crank the engine it wont turn over...". ***?

My suggestion is to clearly explain:
1. The circumstances/events leading up to the no start problem.
2. Details of the car/engine. Milage. Service history? Fuel filter, etc.
3. Any DTC's? Have you run a scan? What type & what DTCs?
4. The symptoms when attempting to start: Ie. Do the dash lights illuminate? Does the starter engage? Does the engine turn over (ie. does the starter engage the flywheel such that the engine internals rotate? Does the tach register? Immediately, or delayed?
5. Is the in tank fuel pump engaging. Is fuel making it to the filter? To the Tandem pump?

The more clearly you provide information & symptoms, the better your responses will be.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I think what you mean is that when you crank it, it does not fire.

Did the engine die while driving and now it won't start or was it running when you parked it? Have you checked the condition of the timing belt? When was the fuel filter changed last? Does the glow plug light come on at all when you turn the key to on? Any recent repairs on the car? How many miles on the car? Is it all stock?

Lots of unknowns here and it's tough to help when we have no idea what is going on.

TDI
2006 1.9l jetta
I apologize for the limited information I am new to the sight and fairly new to car repair. the car was just given to me by my dad when he bought a new car.

the timing belt needs to be changed I have already changed the fuel filter and primed it. I do not know of any other service information other than the routine oil or timing belt change.

the vehicle has 180k miles on it. before the no start the car would sound like it was going to start but would not. it was running when I last parked it, I did not drive it the next day and then the day after that it started for about 1-2 seconds then stalled and would not start again. when it stalled there was a thud I think it might have been from the sudden stop of the engine.

* the dash lights did come on
* fuel did reach the filter ( how can I check if fuel reaches the tandem pump)
* I heard the in tank fuel pump when I turned the key
* not much if any smoke comes out of exhaust

something weird- the cars trip was at zero (not total mileage) my neighbor brought a scanner where he told me the two codes he might have reset the trip I'm not sure

again I apologize for the unclear info

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Based upon what you wrote, and the "thud" sounds worrisome, I suggest:

1. Check the timing belt. Make certain it did not jump time. Search here & there are instructions on how to do.

2. Check the tandem pump for fuel output, again, search in this forum.

3. Get ahold of someone with VCDS, or better yet, purchase your own, & scan the car for DTCs. Be wary, very wary, of friends with cheap generic scanners. INO, if you are going to work on a VW, VCDS is a mandatory tool.

I am certain others will post other suggestions.