Gen 2 2.0l Fix announcement 5/19/17

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
My question is regarding the extended warrenty. If they are not installing a new dpf your old one is covered. Well I am sure many are already cracked and may be setting a mil, some not. For the ones that show a code my guess is you are responsible for a new dpf prior to tge modification. But if you can clear the mil somehow, like changing out the egr filter maybe you get the mod then a months later new dpf under warrenty.?. Seems like Vw would be bbetter off just changing the dpf when the mod is done.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My question is regarding the extended warrenty. If they are not installing a new dpf your old one is covered. Well I am sure many are already cracked and may be setting a mil, some not. For the ones that show a code my guess is you are responsible for a new dpf prior to tge modification. But if you can clear the mil somehow, like changing out the egr filter maybe you get the mod then a months later new dpf under warrenty.?. Seems like Vw would be bbetter off just changing the dpf when the mod is done.

I have never seen nor heard of a cracked DPF on a CKRA engine. CBEA/CJAA engine? Yes, quite common. But never on a CKRA.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Ouch. ... only the SW. No free DPF/NOx Cat refresh, like with Gen3.

Like I speculated elsewhere, they are forcing higher RPM while engine is cold. And, I am still afraid, therein lies the reason they couldnt fix the 6MT the same way. No way to control the gear.

DEF consumption might increase 2X+ - however the likely increase in wear of NOx cat is not addressed. Like we learned in chemistry classes looong while back, catalyst facilitates a chem reaction but is NOT consumed in process .... riiight

Best thing that could happen for owners - it would wear out and quit during the 48K wty bump.

What did EA189 in: it simply takes forever to come up to the temp. Mine, on a cold NJ winter morning, takes up to 5 miles of brisk driving to get that needle vertical. Darn NOx cat sits too far from engine, is kept cold by air running in under-the-car tunnel and takes even longer to come up to the temp where the reduction reaction can actually take place.

And that's why in EA288 they have the "standing coolant" mode and DPF/NOx Cat assy is bolted directly past turbo, where there's no moving cold air and exhaust gases are at their max temp. They also thermally insulate it (cause they have to, in order to save the bay from scorching temps) - and that helps these to come up to the temp even sooner.

Thats why the Gen 3 fix addresses BOTH the 6MT and DSG, as they have enough reserves in the engine design.

After EA189 comes up to the temp and NOx Cat is operating, I am sure modified emissions #s are met, event with 6MT.

It is the initial minutes after cold start when it is so hard to control them.

Last edited:

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I have never seen nor heard of a cracked DPF on a CKRA engine. CBEA/CJAA engine? Yes, quite common. But never on a CKRA.
My thought is geared more towards gen 1. Yes I understand this decree is for gen 2 but it still is a question I dont think there is a good answer too

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The gen 2 engines, though, already having the SCR in place, will have a far easier time meeting the "negotiated" compliance levels. Yes, it may increase DEF usage, and yes this may decrease the life of the deNox substrate, but if it is still within acceptable life cycle levels then so be it.

Non-SCR cars have no chance of meeting the NOx compliance levels unless there is some dramatic change in other aspects of the engine performance and fuel consumption. At least it would not appear so, or otherwise they would have already done so instead of a costly buyback program.

Funny, though, that so many CR TDI owners are letting their cars be bought back, and now purchasing vehicles that use more fuel, or are older (often TDIs to boot) that certainly are not going to help with any environmental concerns.:rolleyes:

ajz9415

TDI
2014 Passat TDI DSG
Any idea when modification will start. My status still shows not yet approved. My current plan is to have the fix done and then have a tune done :)

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
imminent. A simple SW flash + complimentary car wash. Ask them to top off the DEF, you will NEED it now :)

ajz9415

TDI
2014 Passat TDI DSG
I am having my dealer do the "fix" waiting for my payment the doing a flash malone flash :)

Thank goodness I have a few extra gallons of def in the garage :)

cj25

TDI
2013 Passat
If the AdBlue tank is cracked and leaking, would it be covered under the warranty after the "fix" is done? Was waiting to see if it would be replaced in the fix, but apparently not.

Our turbo just failed at 118k, just made the extended warranty. I'm guessing the new one will now be covered under the additional 48k once we get the fix?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
To my understanding, the restitution payment is to cover the diminished vehicle value as well as a penalty for implementing the cheat. This fix is predicting an increase in DEF usage by up to 130%. Who thinks there should be additional compensation for that, or that VW should provide free DEF for life? Was a DEF usage increase noted for the Gen 3 fix?

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Your $5000 payment if you take the "fix" will cover more DEF than the car can ever possibly use in its lifetime.
I understand that, but the point I was trying to make is that the restitution payment was not geared toward increased maintenance costs. We have to bear that burden ourselves, which I think is less than fair. No matter what the long-term cost of increased maintenance due to the fix is, the added cost shouldn't be something the car owner should absorb. VW should step up and do the right thing.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
The gen 2 engines, though, already having the SCR in place, will have a far easier time meeting the "negotiated" compliance levels. Yes, it may increase DEF usage, and yes this may decrease the life of the deNox substrate, but if it is still within acceptable life cycle levels then so be it.
Non-SCR cars have no chance of meeting the NOx compliance levels unless there is some dramatic change in other aspects of the engine performance and fuel consumption. At least it would not appear so, or otherwise they would have already done so instead of a costly buyback program.
Funny, though, that so many CR TDI owners are letting their cars be bought back, and now purchasing vehicles that use more fuel, or are older (often TDIs to boot) that certainly are not going to help with any environmental concerns.:rolleyes:
I would be one of those. So far the increased fuel costs are more than compensated by the reduced maintenance costs. It is nice to be able to buy the oil in any Walmart. I told the VW dealer that I would be willing to try them again...in 5 years. What good is a 500,000 mile engine if the emissions systems and turbo are only designed for 120,000 miles? I understand some maintenance cost is necessary to get past 200 thousand miles but when you are talking $2000 or $5000 that is a killer.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
So............for those with DSG who are eligible for the fix - has the booklet about the possible "side effects" changed anyone's mind from buyback to fix or vice versa? If so, why?

And for those prognosticators out there who know how these engines work more than the rest of us - what's the odds of a fix for the manual? There's no right or wrong answer but it would help someone like me who's trying to come up with a plan for the future.

J

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi.... my 6th TDi!! a4, a3, b4, a5, my b7 and wife has a '11 JSW.. :)
gen2 MT fix...???

So............for those with DSG who are eligible for the fix - has the booklet about the possible "side effects" changed anyone's mind from buyback to fix or vice versa? If so, why?
And for those prognosticators out there who know how these engines work more than the rest of us - what's the odds of a fix for the manual? There's no right or wrong answer but it would help someone like me who's trying to come up with a plan for the future.
I'd like to know about the MT gen2's too. I want to keep my car, but is a fix ever going to be a possible reality?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I suspect they're still tweaking the manual trans fix. They might have happened upon drivability challenges with the manual and a compliant fix and it's simply taking a little longer to implement it.

They may also be attempting to space out approved fixes for dealer's sake so they don't get overwhelmed with fix requests all at once.

I suspect the automatic trans also accounts for well over 80 percent of the cars...

r11

Veteran Member
TDI

Swap it for used '15 MT. That's what I did. Mine was '12, higher mileage and I had to pay some extra $$$ on top of buyback. But still makes total sense, if u love the car, dynamics, practicality, etc

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I would be one of those. So far the increased fuel costs are more than compensated by the reduced maintenance costs. It is nice to be able to buy the oil in any Walmart. I told the VW dealer that I would be willing to try them again...in 5 years. What good is a 500,000 mile engine if the emissions systems and turbo are only designed for 120,000 miles? I understand some maintenance cost is necessary to get past 200 thousand miles but when you are talking $2000 or $5000 that is a killer.
This is very similar to my views, we're doing the buyback at the end of next year. We've really enjoyed our first diesel, but the terms of the buyback (in our case) are just too good to refuse, and replacing the Passat with another diesel just isn't a good option for us. Turning in a car we've owned for 5 1/2 years with 80K miles for nearly the money we paid for it new doesn't require a whole lot of thought, as opposed to facing the potential maintenance costs on our Gen 2 TDI down the road. I have every confidence that the engine itself would deliver many more trouble-free miles, given proper maintenance, it's the possible costs in repairing the fuel and emissions systems that make it a no-go. So— it's back to a gas car, but we've owned many of those, and it'll be OK.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Swap it for used '15 MT. That's what I did. Mine was '12, higher mileage and I had to pay some extra $$$ on top of buyback. But still makes total sense, if u love the car, dynamics, practicality, etc
I'd much prefer to get it "fixed", enjoy the extended warranty, and then get it tuned/remove emissions stuff that'll break (I'm in PA where there's no diesel emissions testing for passenger cars).

If it can't be fixed than I'm going to go the buyback route and go back to a gasoline powered vehicle that gets *reasonable* gas mileage.

joncarter

TDI
Forthcoming
It has for me. I was planning to wait until the last minute (~9/2018) to sell the car back, not sure now. As a side note, why wouldn't one wait until the last minute to sell the car back? I guess lots of people dropped the car like a hot potato instead of basically driving it for free as long as possible, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyhow, the fact that this is a software only fix is big.

The pamphlet states "No significant changes to key vehicle attributes are expected, including fuel consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics." MPG might drop up to 1 mpg. Increased DEF consumption of 50% to 130%, so that will be a little pain but I guess I can do that myself. Extended warranty covers emissions system, entire fuel system, and turbocharger.

Dunno...think I'll wait as long as possible to decide, if I go the fix route I'll get every mile out of that warranty I can.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
As a side note, why wouldn't one wait until the last minute to sell the car back?
That's been my question too. As long as the buyback amount is the same, doesn't it make more sense to keep the car for "free" for another year and a half? The only reasons I can think of are that a lot of the initial buyback rush was people flipping cars, cars with mechanical issues, older (2009-10) cars where people wanted something new, etc. Also some people are overly concerned about totaling the car before they get a chance to sell it back (a bit unrealistically IMHO).

For those of us that are waiting until Sept 2018, we don't have to do any of these fixes, right? There was also a recall notice about an Inlet Air Box Housing Snow Flap & Oxygen Sensor that came with the Gen 2 Approved Fix notice. It says that Recall must be completed before California will renew registration. As I don't live in California, I'm not directly affected by that, but I am just wondering if any of these fixes will be required before we return the cars.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL

Nope. Still no interest in a buyback on a flawless car. The info just reaffirms that we are making to right choice in keeping it, since no equivalent replacements exist.

ajz9415

TDI
2014 Passat TDI DSG
I've scheduled my appointment for next Saturday. My dealer is doing my flash then doing a Malone tune on a different RO. They also told me there is a new recall for an update to the air box and a replacement ox sensor

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Nope. Still no interest in a buyback on a flawless car. The info just reaffirms that we are making to right choice in keeping it, since no equivalent replacements exist.
.....because that is your sole criterion. No, there is no direct replacement for our Passat TDI, and that is unarguable. But we have other criteria, so the buyback is the correct choice for us.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No, because I cannot find *any* argument that even hints that I should consider a buyback . . .

joncarter

TDI
Forthcoming
No, because I cannot find *any* argument that even hints that I should consider a buyback . . .
Are you going to get the fix and pocket the $$, or just keep the car as is and forego the settlement money?

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
I too am in the keep until end of 2018 camp.

I think ive decided that I am going to move the car onto Uber\Lyft and extract as much $$ I can out of it before I make a decision.

I drive pretty strategically (prime time and surge rides) and will net over $1 mile after fees (net $1.45 per mile)with my older SUV , currently @ 44k miles and I've plugged in numerous mileage usage numbers and the buyback drops very little even if I rack up an additional 10-15k miles before next year on top of the 1042 free miles.

The car is a blast to drive, so I've started the process. Yes I know totaling it is a risk and I think my only other worry is anything occurring after 60k so maybe I stop just before that.

Wish me luck.... if it goes really well I will consider keeping the car, taking the cash and extended warranty and extracting even more $$ from it,

I'm open to flaws in my thinking if anyone wants to chime in. Thanks,