Buyback scheduled, car runs fine, but multiple dash lights on

TDI 2010

TDI
2010 Jetta
My 2010 is scheduled for buyback in 2 weeks. i have multiple warning lights on, tirevpressure, check engine, and washer fluid (sensor is broke). If i arrive under the cars own power as stated, should i assume a smooth buyback?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you have not done so, check your actual tire pressures with a gauge. If those are correct then you can safely ignore the TPMS warning. For purposes of the buyback it doesn't matter if the warning lights are lit up like a Christmas tree, as long as it runs. But we do want you to get safely to the dealer without a tire blowout!

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
The only light that could affect your buyback was if the car was on fire at the appointment. And I think that would only matter if it was on fire when you brought it in, if it started and ran and caught on fire after you would still be ok. haha

TDI 2010

TDI
2010 Jetta
thanks!

I think my tpms sensors are just bad, my tire pressures are all normal, including the spare.

TDI 2010

TDI
2010 Jetta
That is reassuring.

Would pulling the aftermarket radio and leaving an empty space cause an issue?

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
That is reassuring.

Would pulling the aftermarket radio and leaving an empty space cause an issue?

YES!!!!! when turning mine in, the dealer said he turned down a car because of the gapping hole in the dash..... You cannot strip the car, and that includes the radio.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you have the original radio, even if broken, put that back into the dash.

The car came with a radio ... it has to go back with a radio, even if it doesn't work.

TDI 2010

TDI
2010 Jetta
I tossed the radio after my second one replaced under warranty failed, I did not have good luck with the OEM radio setup.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, that is true, much to the disappointment of certain people around here.
(Above post referring to stripping the buybacks)

Yes— I taught high school for 32 years, and it is human nature to constantly test the limits of any situation, just to see how much they can get away with. Well, the strippers found out, didn't they?

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Yes, that is true, much to the disappointment of certain people around here.
You might be able to get away with swiping the OEM valve stem caps, though. There's at least one person on here who thinks they're worth a lot on ebay. Don't forget the one on the spare...
:rolleyes:

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
Turned our 2010 in with a flashing glow-plug light and no turbo because of a failed/stuck VNT, so obviously a CEL too. Car was filthy, "missing" the spare tire (and a view VW emblems for souvenirs) and anything else not bolted down. :cool:

No issues - took 15 minutes and had the EFT within days.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
I had multiple lights on at buyback with no issues.

Check engine, ABS, ESP, Airbag, and TPS.